• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Do you suck at your religion?"

Collapse

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    How is it an accident of birth when Asians are evangelised by Europeans to Christianity, or Europeans by Asians to Islam?

You're discussing religion as culture, rather than religion as a conscious personal decision; the two are very different and many religions say only one of those 'counts' properly.

And what's your point? So a small minority of people are "evangelised" i.e. have their set of cultural, human artefact, religious beliefs replaced by those from another culture. Another random event, much like an accident of birth. It may be a more conscious decision - but it's not a particularly intelligent one.
    A Muslim convert from Christianity has merely replaced one "holy" i.e. received wisdom book for another, one set of human cultural constructs for another.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    You might like to know that "flat earth" has never been a mainstream religious belief. The fact that the earth is round has been known for thousands of years.
    Doesn't the Quran teach that the Earth is flat and pegged out?

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    You can get cream for those.

Is there a cream you can use to get MF removed from yours

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Its an oblate spheroid
    You can get cream for those.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
    Actually, it's spherical (ish)
    Its an oblate spheroid, a sphere is perfectly round so can't be ish!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Edit: To me people who believe in one set of religious beliefs (e.g. Christianity, Islam, Judaism) are showing a serious lack of imagination. Do they not think it's only an accident of birth that makes them believe what they do? I suppose it's in the nature of believers to think they are exceptional
    How is it an accident of birth when Asians are evangelised by Europeans to Christianity, or Europeans by Asians to Islam?

You're discussing religion as culture, rather than religion as a conscious personal decision; the two are very different and many religions say only one of those 'counts' properly.

I suppose it's in the nature of believers to think they are exceptional
    I don't think that makes much sense. There are a billion or so Christians, maybe the same number of Muslims. You might not be the norm in your workplace but in no way are you unique or exceptional, totally the opposite in fact.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Isn't a religopath someone who hates religion? So russell is saying people who hate religion are morons?
    The entomology of -path is from the Greek pathos meaning feeling or suffering, therefore CUK is suffering from Russell, so we are Russellapaths

Leave a comment:

• louie
    replied
    Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
    Never mind that bollocks, how come you're even letting the little sh!t continue posting?

Just in case you're confused as to which "little sh!t" I'm referring to, I mean Russel/louie.
    Someone needs a cuddle......come here.. you......

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    That'd be an inhabitant of the German state of Westteo. They really hate those Osteos.
    Never mind that bollocks, how come you're even letting the little sh!t continue posting?

Just in case you're confused as to which "little sh!t" I'm referring to, I mean Russel/louie.

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Well clearly he doesn't since he takes the piss out of Jews and Muslims in that sketch.
    And the point remains, if you were Indian or Chinese you'd probably have different set of human artefact fantasy beliefs.

Edit: To me people who believe in one set of religious beliefs (e.g. Christianity, Islam, Judaism) are showing a serious lack of imagination. Do they not think it's only an accident of birth that makes them believe what they do? I suppose it's in the nature of believers to think they are exceptional (or "saved")
    That's the carrot.

Eternal damnation being the stick.

Toe the line or else.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    What about an osteopath?
    That'd be an inhabitant of the German state of Westteo. They really hate those Osteos.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Hi Russell. You might like to know that "flat earth" has never been a mainstream religious belief. The fact that the earth is round has been known for thousands of years.
    Actually, it's spherical (ish)

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    . It's a bad sign for a start that as a typical ignorant Yank he thinks Christianity is synomous with Religion.
    Well clearly he doesn't since he takes the piss out of Jews and Muslims in that sketch.
    And the point remains, if you were Indian or Chinese you'd probably have different set of human artefact fantasy beliefs.

Edit: To me people who believe in one set of religious beliefs (e.g. Christianity, Islam, Judaism) are showing a serious lack of imagination. Do they not think it's only an accident of birth that makes them believe what they do? I suppose it's in the nature of believers to think they are exceptional (or "saved")
    Last edited by sasguru; 14 August 2012, 11:50.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    What about an osteopath?

Leave a comment:

• louie
    replied
    And homeopaths hate gay people.
    And GardenPaths hate gardens?

Leave a comment:

Working...