• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Olympics excellence versus constant football underachievement"

Collapse

• The Spartan
    replied
    I agree too, it's an incredible difference when you think about what a few motivated individuals can achieve

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    A Daily Mail article I pretty much agree with, shock, horror

Leave a comment:

• MrMark
    replied
    There is obviously an inverse relationship between doing well in the Limpics, and doing well at international football. Spain have had a poor Limpics, but have pwned everyone in the last 3 major football championships.

or could just be a coincidence of course

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    You can't generalise about all footballers being purely motivated by money. Like every other occupation it's a mix of money and enjoying the job.

At one end of the scale Adebayour is a money-grabber, whereas Gerrard is never happier than when he is running all over the pitch kicking people or scoring goals.

Leave a comment:

• Robinho
    replied
    No i'm not, i am saying it is wrong to expect them to be like that just because they are footballers. Some of them may be, but if they are not, one should not judge.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by Robinho View Post
    "A little bit extra" is a subconscious reflex to keep you in your job and see off competition. You are ultimately doing it for your own gain.
    yes but you are saying that bit extra is always financial for footballers and yourself.

I am just saying that may not be the case.

You can just do that bit extra for purely altruistic motives

Leave a comment:

• Robinho
    replied
    "A little bit extra" is a subconscious reflex to keep you in your job and see off competition. You are ultimately doing it for your own gain.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    You're still assuming.

I go to work for remuneration. I want money, my client want my services.

The same thing applies to footballers. It's hypocritical to expect them to have other motives.
    But that makes an assumption that everyone is purely driven by money and that is simply not true.

You are saying you want to go to work and do as little as possible for as much return as possible and at no point in time will you even consider putting that little bit of extra effort in if there is no immediate financial return.

Not all people work that way and therefore not all footballers work that way.

Leave a comment:

• Robinho
    replied
    You're still assuming.

I go to work for remuneration. I want money, my client want my services.

The same thing applies to footballers. It's hypocritical to expect them to have other motives.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Nope, you've just assumed that.
    They're just humans like you or me. Do you go to work for the pride and passion? I ******* well don't.
    Even less than i put in at work.
    Only because of your previous posts?

Leave a comment:

• Robinho
    replied
    Nope, you've just assumed that.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    so every morning you get out of bed and go to work to do the bare minimum to get by??

I can see why you would do that but not what you are expecting to acheive by doing that.

can you enlighten me?

Leave a comment:

• Robinho
    replied
    Even less than i put in at work.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    they may have done back in the day but since the epl got off and running and more and more money was pumped into the game there is more of a money grabbing attitude.

but so that will be like in any walk of life if you are good at your choosen proffesion you want to be amongst the top earners.

however... if you got to represent Team GB at this year Super SQL Coders Convention - how much effort would you put in?
    Last edited by original PM; 8 August 2012, 14:50. Reason: good job speeling is not my choosen proffesion

Leave a comment:

• Robinho
    replied
    Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
    I'm not much of a footy fan in all honesty, I just see them as overpaid pansies but there we go. But I find it ridiculous that so many people follow it when you can clearly see the majority of them (Football players) are just there to pick up a nice fat cheque, there's no pride and no passion for certain well established clubs it used to be the putting on the jersey/shirt was all that was needed to inspire and enthuse but that seems to have disappeared.
    They're just humans like you or me. Do you go to work for the pride and passion? I ******* well don't.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X