• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Employment service check"

Collapse

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    But by providing the service they do and by running it they way they do that software business is also an employment agency or business by virtue of the nature of the services
    they provide.

If you look at it the other way Jobserve can charge agents to look at CVs they can't charge candidates to see or apply for jobs.
    but they are not charging to apply for jobs and there is nothing stopping you from entering the same search terms in jobsite, seeing exactly the same jobs and applying manually.

All they do is automation they are not the gate keepers to the jobs.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    They are not an employment agency or business, they are a software business.
    But by providing the service they do and by running it they way they do that software business is also an employment agency or business by virtue of the nature of the services
    they provide.

If you look at it the other way Jobserve can charge agents to look at CVs they can't charge candidates to see or apply for jobs.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
    But hold on..

By taking a cut that the contractor isn't usually aware of, aren't all agents breaking this law?

They are "indirectly" charging aren't they? I mean I've had lots of clients who assume , for god knows what reason, that what they pay the agent is what they pay my company.
    Taking a cut of a result is different to charging upfront.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
    But hold on..

By taking a cut that the contractor isn't usually aware of, aren't all agents breaking this law?

They are "indirectly" charging aren't they? I mean I've had lots of clients who assume , for god knows what reason, that what they pay the agent is what they pay my company.
    I might be wrong - but isn't it to do with The Agencies Act, introduced by the Conservatives to stop the 'who's tax liability is it' mess and make it Clientco - Agent - Ltd - Person so the tax liability is obvious.

So really just the easiest way to pin down the tax liability whereas if the agency could charge the Ltd the tax liability issue is clouded?

Leave a comment:

• Scoobos
    replied
    But hold on..

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    They are breaking the law. Anything which directly connects applying for a job and changing the applicant is illegal.

It also won't work as how many agencies are going to accept spammy applications when there receive hundreds of valid applicants that they already don't filter properly.
    it depends on the interpretation of this:
    for finding him employment, or for seeking to find him employment.
    As far as I can see from the website, all their system does is use your search criterea and apply for any matching jobs on your behalf on the jobsite website with the exact search criterea which you would have entered into the jobsite search box yourself. They don't even constantly monitor the jobsite listings and only promise to apply on your behalf within 24 hours.

They offer nothing in terms of special contacts, jobs only available through them or anything else which would imply that someone using their website would get any preferential treatment with regards to a single job advert over someone who didn't.

Infact if they did find themselves caught by the law then all they would have to do is change to a generic automated form filling service and offer free templates.. one of which is for the jobsite website!

which leads on to this:
    employment agency or an employment business
    They are not an employment agency or business, they are a software business.
    Last edited by Spacecadet; 1 August 2012, 11:00.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by doomage View Post
    Go Perm. You are not cut out to be a contractor.
    WHS!

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Here is another one "breaking the law"

Manager, Director, VP and C-Level Jobs :: Find Executive Jobs :: TheLadders.co.uk

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Are they?
    You should be paying for this through the company which makes it a business to business transaction

They're also NOT an employement agency and they are not helping you to apply for jobs which you wouldn't be able to apply for anyway. All they are adding is a level of automation to the process in terms of a SaaS. They could package the process into an application and charge for that. Would that be any different? It would certainly make it more difficult for them to respond quickly to any website changes by jobsite which require their scraping technique to change.

I see this no different as saying that internet access and a mobile phone are helpful tools when looking for a job. Does this mean that everyone who is looking for a job should get these free?
    They are breaking the law. Anything which directly connects applying for a job and changing the applicant is illegal.

It also won't work as how many agencies are going to accept spammy applications when there receive hundreds of valid applicants that they already don't filter properly.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    This company is breaking the law.
    Are they?
    You should be paying for this through the company which makes it a business to business transaction

They're also NOT an employement agency and they are not helping you to apply for jobs which you wouldn't be able to apply for anyway. All they are adding is a level of automation to the process in terms of a SaaS. They could package the process into an application and charge for that. Would that be any different? It would certainly make it more difficult for them to respond quickly to any website changes by jobsite which require their scraping technique to change.

I see this no different as saying that internet access and a mobile phone are helpful tools when looking for a job. Does this mean that everyone who is looking for a job should get these free?

Leave a comment:

• Ketchup
    replied
    Quite right, going for contracts is like chasing birds on the lash. Full of confidence, you're not interested in long term commitments, you just want to **** 'em.
    And when you have been on the bench long enough, you dont care what they are like

Leave a comment:

• doomage
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Funny thing is I quite enjoy going for contracts.
    Quite right, going for contracts is like chasing birds on the lash. Full of confidence, you're not interested in long term commitments, you just want to **** 'em.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Funny thing is I quite enjoy going for contracts.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    +1

Alternatively, the OP is from the previously mentioned website!

Leave a comment:

• doomage
    replied
    Originally posted by itpro View Post
    I basically hate applying for jobs and also hate looking for jobs to apply for as well

Leave a comment:

Working...
X