• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "My neighbour is a bellend"

Collapse

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
    It's not really worth the risk:

"Well I'm surprised you moved here, they've been at each others throats for years, just before they left, they said......"

People like to tittle tattle and with the numbers involved (they could get stamp duty back, moving costs, etc, etc, etc), just isn't worth it, for you will have to disclose it, and then not sell the joint, or not disclose it, and risk a big penalty.

FWIW, I always ask about noise, always. I ask if they (neighbours) have kids, dogs barking at night, trouble with the police in the area, loud music. We lived in a house once, which at the end, was a brick wall, where kids would kick the ball against it, incessantly. It is like Chinese water torture after a while. They'd come out about 8am in summer and kick the ball against the wall until about 9pm. Sounds a bit mardy getting the arse about it, but it does end up making you cranky. The law wasn't applicable then, but it's a question I'd ask now...

It's why I now live in about 6 acres in an old barn conversion where the only noise is the occasional tractor early doors, well, that and my very feral children hooning about.
    I suppose you have a point. To be honest though, its not THAT bad with the neighbours at the moment they're just bellends.

Interesting about the penalties etc. Has this EVER happened to anyone though? I know someone mentioned it had. Must admit I've not heard that.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Is it just a lady next door or does she have a partner?
    Two of them. Not quite worked out which one is pushing this though. I've got a feeling its the wife and shes getting the fella to do the stuff.

A lot seems to happen when he gets in from work. As if he goes in the house, and then gets an earful off the mrs about what the neighbours have been doing etc.

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    From what others of said, it seems any of things could be a bad idea if you ever want to sell.

Not sure about chatting to other neighbours though. Potential buyer aint gonna go around and speak to all your other neighbours to make sure you've not been speaking ill of someone are they?
    It's not really worth the risk:

"Well I'm surprised you moved here, they've been at each others throats for years, just before they left, they said......"

People like to tittle tattle and with the numbers involved (they could get stamp duty back, moving costs, etc, etc, etc), just isn't worth it, for you will have to disclose it, and then not sell the joint, or not disclose it, and risk a big penalty.

FWIW, I always ask about noise, always. I ask if they (neighbours) have kids, dogs barking at night, trouble with the police in the area, loud music. We lived in a house once, which at the end, was a brick wall, where kids would kick the ball against it, incessantly. It is like Chinese water torture after a while. They'd come out about 8am in summer and kick the ball against the wall until about 9pm. Sounds a bit mardy getting the arse about it, but it does end up making you cranky. The law wasn't applicable then, but it's a question I'd ask now...

It's why I now live in about 6 acres in an old barn conversion where the only noise is the occasional tractor early doors, well, that and my very feral children hooning about.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Got home last night and builders had left wheelie bin encroaching on their drive by about 6" so I left it.

Out the back garden and heard rustling. Mrs went around the front to see the wheelie bin moved back the required 6". Funny thing is neighbour didnt say a word but scurried back inside as quick as he could so she couldnt say anything.

Must admit I can see the funny side now. It must be really annoying for them.

Apparently, the builder thought it was hilarious that she had a go at him for using 2" of her property to lay his spirit level yesterday.
    Is it just a lady next door or does she have a partner?

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
    My advice for people with bad neighbours is:

Never call the police, noise prevention, council, etc.
    Don't write letters to your neighbour complaining.
    Don't write to the council, local paper.
    Don't chat to your neighbours about it.

You may think complaining is a good idea at the time, but you will never sell your property as you will have to disclose the above.
    From what others of said, it seems any of things could be a bad idea if you ever want to sell.

Not sure about chatting to other neighbours though. Potential buyer aint gonna go around and speak to all your other neighbours to make sure you've not been speaking ill of someone are they?

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Got home last night and builders had left wheelie bin encroaching on their drive by about 6" so I left it.

Out the back garden and heard rustling. Mrs went around the front to see the wheelie bin moved back the required 6". Funny thing is neighbour didnt say a word but scurried back inside as quick as he could so she couldnt say anything.

Must admit I can see the funny side now. It must be really annoying for them.

Apparently, the builder thought it was hilarious that she had a go at him for using 2" of her property to lay his spirit level yesterday.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    The woman next door to me who stopped speaking to us for several months has started talking again.

I never asked why. Perhaps she found out her husband fancied Mrs Styles. Or she fancied me, people can be funny like that.

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    My advice for people with bad neighbours is:

Never call the police, noise prevention, council, etc.
    Don't write letters to your neighbour complaining.
    Don't write to the council, local paper.
    Don't chat to your neighbours about it.

You may think complaining is a good idea at the time, but you will never sell your property as you will have to disclose the above.

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Let's hope they're getting their patio done soon.
    Oh, and another who can't read

One of your better ones though, although unable to see the lines patio finished and the year done so

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Used to get on great (although they were always a bit weird) until my son (aged 4 at the time) had a fight with their son (aged 8). She went off on one about that for some reason.....

Anyway, since then they seem to focus on what we're doing a bit too much. We cut the hedge out the front of the house, next day they do the same. We cut the grass next day they do. Really weird.

Currently having a garage conversion done. They raised an objection to planning permission (didnt work). Builders arrived they moaned about van outside the house. This morning, builder put his spirit level 2" on her property and she came out to moan.

Are there really people out there who have nothing better to do?

Must admit when they tried to stop planning permission for no good reason I wasnt happy but at the moment I just cant be arsed with them. No idea why they're lives are so empty they have to focus on us.....
    Let's hope they're getting their patio done soon.

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
    When I lived with my parents, we had neighbours on one side we didnt speak to for around 15 years (In fact one of them died before we spoke to them again hahaha) Its a none issue as long as your are detached.
    Psychics?

Leave a comment:

• escapeUK
    replied
    When I lived with my parents, we had neighbours on one side we didnt speak to for around 15 years (In fact one of them died before we spoke to them again hahaha) Its a none issue as long as your are detached.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Do they have any pets you can kill?
    Or teenage daughters you can sleep with?

Failing that do you have a ladder?
    If so, paint all of their windows black one night.

Will it help?
    No but it will provide more amusing threads to read which, I think, is why we are all here in the first place!

Leave a comment:

• Halo Jones
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
    Going for the extension then.
    Not me, it’s my job, you see I am a) not a contractor & b) not in IT

I am in fact a dodgy permie QS who has a working knowledge of IT geekery, I loiter here occasionally having met a few of the regulars at one of the London meet ups (my husband BGG was a regular poster) & sometimes you all can be amusing

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post

Thank you, It may seem petty but having just spent the last 3 weeks finalising the design & loading for some roof based ACO it bugged me (the subbie was trying to cut cost & not use ACO but a cheap knock off that sounds the same but would not be man enough for the load)
    No worries, I was being flippant with my reply, these things are interesting and important to know if you're house building/changing

Going for the extension then.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X