• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My neighbour is a bellend

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My advice for people with bad neighbours is:

Never call the police, noise prevention, council, etc.
    Don't write letters to your neighbour complaining.
    Don't write to the council, local paper.
    Don't chat to your neighbours about it.

You may think complaining is a good idea at the time, but you will never sell your property as you will have to disclose the above.
    'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
    Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

The woman next door to me who stopped speaking to us for several months has started talking again.

I never asked why. Perhaps she found out her husband fancied Mrs Styles. Or she fancied me, people can be funny like that.

Comment

Got home last night and builders had left wheelie bin encroaching on their drive by about 6" so I left it.

Out the back garden and heard rustling. Mrs went around the front to see the wheelie bin moved back the required 6". Funny thing is neighbour didnt say a word but scurried back inside as quick as he could so she couldnt say anything.

Must admit I can see the funny side now. It must be really annoying for them.

Apparently, the builder thought it was hilarious that she had a go at him for using 2" of her property to lay his spirit level yesterday.
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
          My advice for people with bad neighbours is:

Never call the police, noise prevention, council, etc.
          Don't write letters to your neighbour complaining.
          Don't write to the council, local paper.
          Don't chat to your neighbours about it.

You may think complaining is a good idea at the time, but you will never sell your property as you will have to disclose the above.
          From what others of said, it seems any of things could be a bad idea if you ever want to sell.

Not sure about chatting to other neighbours though. Potential buyer aint gonna go around and speak to all your other neighbours to make sure you've not been speaking ill of someone are they?

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
            Got home last night and builders had left wheelie bin encroaching on their drive by about 6" so I left it.

Out the back garden and heard rustling. Mrs went around the front to see the wheelie bin moved back the required 6". Funny thing is neighbour didnt say a word but scurried back inside as quick as he could so she couldnt say anything.

Must admit I can see the funny side now. It must be really annoying for them.

Apparently, the builder thought it was hilarious that she had a go at him for using 2" of her property to lay his spirit level yesterday.
            Is it just a lady next door or does she have a partner?

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
              From what others of said, it seems any of things could be a bad idea if you ever want to sell.

Not sure about chatting to other neighbours though. Potential buyer aint gonna go around and speak to all your other neighbours to make sure you've not been speaking ill of someone are they?
              It's not really worth the risk:

"Well I'm surprised you moved here, they've been at each others throats for years, just before they left, they said......"

People like to tittle tattle and with the numbers involved (they could get stamp duty back, moving costs, etc, etc, etc), just isn't worth it, for you will have to disclose it, and then not sell the joint, or not disclose it, and risk a big penalty.

FWIW, I always ask about noise, always. I ask if they (neighbours) have kids, dogs barking at night, trouble with the police in the area, loud music. We lived in a house once, which at the end, was a brick wall, where kids would kick the ball against it, incessantly. It is like Chinese water torture after a while. They'd come out about 8am in summer and kick the ball against the wall until about 9pm. Sounds a bit mardy getting the arse about it, but it does end up making you cranky. The law wasn't applicable then, but it's a question I'd ask now...

It's why I now live in about 6 acres in an old barn conversion where the only noise is the occasional tractor early doors, well, that and my very feral children hooning about.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                Is it just a lady next door or does she have a partner?
                Two of them. Not quite worked out which one is pushing this though. I've got a feeling its the wife and shes getting the fella to do the stuff.

A lot seems to happen when he gets in from work. As if he goes in the house, and then gets an earful off the mrs about what the neighbours have been doing etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
                  It's not really worth the risk:

"Well I'm surprised you moved here, they've been at each others throats for years, just before they left, they said......"

People like to tittle tattle and with the numbers involved (they could get stamp duty back, moving costs, etc, etc, etc), just isn't worth it, for you will have to disclose it, and then not sell the joint, or not disclose it, and risk a big penalty.

FWIW, I always ask about noise, always. I ask if they (neighbours) have kids, dogs barking at night, trouble with the police in the area, loud music. We lived in a house once, which at the end, was a brick wall, where kids would kick the ball against it, incessantly. It is like Chinese water torture after a while. They'd come out about 8am in summer and kick the ball against the wall until about 9pm. Sounds a bit mardy getting the arse about it, but it does end up making you cranky. The law wasn't applicable then, but it's a question I'd ask now...

It's why I now live in about 6 acres in an old barn conversion where the only noise is the occasional tractor early doors, well, that and my very feral children hooning about.
                  I suppose you have a point. To be honest though, its not THAT bad with the neighbours at the moment they're just bellends.

Interesting about the penalties etc. Has this EVER happened to anyone though? I know someone mentioned it had. Must admit I've not heard that.

Comment

Working...
                  X