• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Should I get a Porche Boxster?"

Collapse

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Any suggestions for which Merc? - the hairdresser style 2 seaters are out of the question.
    SLK would suit you.

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    That was the Arna? Gawd....
    Yup, thats the boy ......

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
    Nissan Cherry, wasn't the 33? Or was that another?

Gamma is nice
    That was the Arna? Gawd....

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Nissan Cherry, wasn't the 33? Or was that another?

Gamma is nice

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    The Gamma Coupe is still a looker, misty eyed now....

Very similar to the Ferrari 365 GT4 2+2/400/400i/412i...

Last edited by stek; 24 July 2012, 16:04.

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    I had two (TWO!!) Lancia Gamma Coupe's!! At the same time! Lovely car, flawed though, shiit dash, crap interior, PS pump on cam pulley issue, £285 headlights even in 1993, ONC 9xxW - wonder where it is now (x's mean cant remember).....

Other one was a scrapper for parts...

Had loads of Alfa's, never liked the 75 3.0, hated the 33 I had, otherwise all great.....

166 was the last, not as nice as the 164 Lusso, but still a decent car.

Have a Cadillac CTS now, it's not bad actually, it's a 3.6 auto, I was looking at a 166 3.0 at the same time, Alfa fell well short and I fell out of love...

Except because of defibrillator I can't drive now!
    Sorry to hear that.

Gamma's were trouble (engines iirc)! I had an old Fiat 130 coupe, which I loved. I had a GTV I loved (first type) and an Alfetta, which was just great. Lunched a few fiats in my time, including a 128 Rallye and 1283P. Lancias, I had a few, I had a beta, which wasn't as bad as people made out, and a Fulvia S3 (V4 - cracking car) and a HPE that fell apart.

Got a Merc GL now, and a motorhome, but keep promising myself a track car, and a 75 would be so good.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    That 3.2 V6 is a work of art though, plus sounds as good as any engine I have heard full chat.

I had a 145 Cloverleaf 2.0TS for a station car for 6 months. Cracking, cracking car for what it was, and went like stink.

I have to admit a love of Alfas and Lancias, adore them since owning a Fulvia and GTV in the early 80's
    I had two (TWO!!) Lancia Gamma Coupe's!! At the same time! Lovely car, flawed though, shiit dash, crap interior, PS pump on cam pulley issue, £285 headlights even in 1993, ONC 9xxW - wonder where it is now (x's mean cant remember).....

Other one was a scrapper for parts...

Had loads of Alfa's, never liked the 75 3.0, hated the 33 I had, otherwise all great.....

166 was the last, not as nice as the 164 Lusso, but still a decent car.

Have a Cadillac CTS now, it's not bad actually, it's a 3.6 auto, I was looking at a 166 3.0 at the same time, Alfa fell well short and I fell out of love...

Except because of defibrillator I can't drive now!

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Best thing was I got both of them for free!

I would have another 75, would have to be the Twink tho...
    That 3.2 V6 is a work of art though, plus sounds as good as any engine I have heard full chat.

I had a 145 Cloverleaf 2.0TS for a station car for 6 months. Cracking, cracking car for what it was, and went like stink.

I have to admit a love of Alfas and Lancias, adore them since owning a Fulvia and GTV in the early 80's

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Alfa 75 last of the lovely alfas. There's a midified 3.6 4x4 one in Reigate. Properly sorted and a Q-Car of extraordinary brilliance.

The 3.0 was a gem of an engine too. Twin Spark a gem too.

Would love a decent 75 to have as a track day car mind...
    Best thing was I got both of them for free!

I would have another 75, would have to be the Twink tho...

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Best car to drive I ever had was (got it 2003) a 1988 Alfa 75 Twin Spark, it was brilliant, unstickable, cornered on rails (lived in darkest Dumfries and Galloway at the time, cracking roads), wasn't that fast but felt reckless but straight, women refused to drive it - too fast. When it wasn't really....

Loved it, had the 3.0 manual too at the same time, that was a pig, nose heavy despite the V6 not being that much heavier....

Front engine, rear clutch and gearbox, inboard rear discs, mental in a production car....

It's not just about bhp.......
    Alfa 75 last of the lovely alfas. There's a midified 3.6 4x4 one in Reigate. Properly sorted and a Q-Car of extraordinary brilliance.

The 3.0 was a gem of an engine too. Twin Spark a gem too.

Would love a decent 75 to have as a track day car mind...

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Best car to drive I ever had was (got it 2003) a 1988 Alfa 75 Twin Spark, it was brilliant, unstickable, cornered on rails (lived in darkest Dumfries and Galloway at the time, cracking roads), wasn't that fast but felt reckless but straight, women refused to drive it - too fast. When it wasn't really....

Loved it, had the 3.0 manual too at the same time, that was a pig, nose heavy despite the V6 not being that much heavier....

Front engine, rear clutch and gearbox, inboard rear discs, mental in a production car....

It's not just about bhp.......

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Originally posted by Bluenose View Post
    she was not built for drag racing but for generating smiles-per-mile.
    Depends how you get your smiles I guess.

I loathe it, it's a shining beacon of tulipe, in my opinion, not Clarksons. I have driven it, and the chassis isn't rigid; a friends R26R would murder it on a track and I have had much more fun driving an old Alfa Spider. I firmly believe it is not very good, considering the alternatives. The new one is better, but also far more expensive, for a properly specc'd one, and you could afford far more car than what the Boxster offers.

Jaysus, a 5 year old 911 Cabriolet you can buy for half the price, own it for a year and lose nothing. The only thing guaranteed about the boxster, from new, is that you will lose money.

Leave a comment:

• Bluenose
    replied
    I'd never buy a Boxster for the following

a) I am not gay
    b) I am not over 50 & a
    c) If I am looking for a drivers car, I would buy one whose structural integrity hasn't been compromised by having no roof.
    d) I am not a hairdresser or aspire to be one
    e) I would look like I couldn't afford a real one (Porsche).
    f) They start at 38k for a car with less power then a Vauxhall Astra.
    g) It shouts I have no imagination.
    h) It would shout I have attempted to be a winner in life, but ironically, buying this proves I have lost.

It screams as our French cousins would say of Quebecois:, ce n'est pas la chose reelle
    Well that is a nice piece of trolling there.

Alas, for the benefit of the OP, on the structural integrity thing.

The Boxster was designed from a clean sheet of paper for the chassis to work well without a roof, this is why the track times between the Cayman and Boxster are so close. The hardtop does little.

There is little scuttle, no body roll (a 997 911 cab does this, they fixed it with the 991S with PDDC) and the chassis does not flex, it is perfectly balanced due to its mid engined, rear wheel drive design. When you corner, you smile.

The car is lower on power than some hot hatches but this does not matter, the tyres on the back are almost a foot wide and the car corners like a go kart, this gives you confidence to use all the power available more of the time, even in the wet, she was not built for drag racing but for generating smiles-per-mile.

It's not a car defined by numbers or cliches from the Clarkson handbook.

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    What you don't understand is old Cock-Knobber gets into his 10 year-old Focus every day, bored out of his skull from the dreary, ill-paid work that even the Bobs won't do.
    So of course he;'s got be a blow-hard on here.
    Hahahahahaha,

Oh, I'll give you a mark for trying.

Keep going ass, too funy for words, coming from you.

Thought you were out in the garden enjoying a beer and completing your thesis

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Funny you say that and don't realise that you come across here as a right cock-knobber whose wife is having an affair.
    For someone whose own self-assessment is that he is too bright for the bobs, you don't come across as having a lot of self-knowledge.

Ah, so we've tried the buttering me up, which didn't work, so now back to the abusive approach - way to go ass.

I have never said I am too bright for the bobs, that's the limitation in your understanding and knowledge of the English language coming out again, I merely pointed out I have lodged myself in an area immune from their advances. How you've deduced I am cuckold is amusing, very amusing. Kind of reverting to your inner child on the playground.

The cockknobber comment, for me, is a badge of honour coming from someone so universally ridiculed as being a bit of a Billy Liar, Walter Mitty and of such high distinction, utterly from the top drawer.

Thanks for that.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X