• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Syria and Western double standards/Hypocracy"

Collapse

• xoggoth
    replied
    There's a Hollywood mentality among our leaders and the press. Ghaddaffi, Assad etc are awful villains so, QED, those opposing them must be heros. The reality is that many of the more powerful forces are probably as bad, Islamists or other tribal leaders. The "Arab Spring" in Tunisia, Egypt and Libya is, quite predictably, already looking like a joke.

Arab countries are 100 years away from being capable of democracy, the emphasis on the extended family and the tribe is still too strong. Then there's Islam, it's not compatible with democracy, equality or freedom as we understand the terms.

Leave a comment:

• JaybeeInCUK
    replied
    M.E is just a powder keg, and always has been. You've got 7 million Israelis with cutting-edge weaponry up against 200 million Arabs who have long suffered under a tech deficit therein, but since the Soviet Union dissolved have been closing the gap. I fell out with a Jewish friend recently partly because I predicted it will only be a decade or so before the shisha hits the fanatic, the Arab's numerical superiority wins the day, and Israel goes under. And Israel DARE not actually deploy her nukes - western Moslems outnumber western Jews by 5-1

As for the news, well until you've seen a car wreck with limbs strewn across the A422 and blood dripping onto the hard shoulder, nothing is going to prepare you for the crap that happens outside our borders. I agree the news massages our opinions, but maybe it's better that the masses don't put two and two together and we all live in la-la land.

You'd likely go loopy if you actually saw what goes down off-camera in Iraq/Afghanistan.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    ... I really don't get why people don't see the stupidity of the suggestions that Israel is somehow under threat from ...Iran. ..
    Perhaps it's the Iranian instigated (according to Israel) attacks against Israeli citizens.

For example: Suicide bomb kills Israelis in Bulgaria. Is Iran behind attacks? | Europe News | The Week UK
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    You were doing so well until you split people into good and evil.
    Good and evil are in the eye of the beholder. According to Al Qaeda you are evil and they are good.

HTH

I read this guy's book a while back. Gives a rather different perspective on the Taliban.

Leave a comment:

• mrdonuts
    replied
    You honestly think that Syria poses the slightest threat to Israel. I really don't get why people don't see the stupidity of the suggestions that Israel is somehow under threat from Syria/Iran. .
    it seems unlike you the israelis consider a variety of scenarios, such as the "crazys" getting their hands on syrias chemical weapons

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I wonder if any of these other countries show clips of our news whilst casting aspersions on its honesty. Like we do to them...

"Tonight UK state controlled news reported on the Royal wedding of the Prince of Wales' only son William"

Whilst they all fall about laughing "they still think harry is his son"

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    That's not what I am saying dude - help the good people not the evil ones. You don't help Al-Qaeda, Taliban etc. But you do help people who are genuinely good. ...
    You were doing so well until you split people into good and evil.
    Good and evil are in the eye of the beholder. According to Al Qaeda you are evil and they are good.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by oscarose View Post
    We helped Al-Qaeda in Libya.

I'm no racist young man.

HTH

Libya is a mixed country but it definitely contains several of these extremist type - the trick for the west is to recognise who is best to work with and not let the thugs take charge (but not through direct intervention).

Leave a comment:

• oscarose
    replied
    That's not what I am saying dude - help the good people not the evil ones. You don't help Al-Qaeda, Taliban etc. But you do help people who are genuinely good. The extremists are in various pockets e.g. Pakistan, Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia, Syria. There are moderate majorities in Egypt, Tunisia, UAE, Bahrain, Qatar, Iraq, Iran, Kuwait, Oman etc. So why is the west not supporting the peaceful demonstrations in Bahrain yet it is supporting the thugs and criminals of Syria who are nothing but violent? Also I hope that was not a racist term you used.....
    We helped Al-Qaeda in Libya.

I'm no racist young man.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    @OP

Very true old chap.

Look at Libya, al-Qaeda is now running the show.

Best leave the rags be I'd suggest. No one's a winner.

That's not what I am saying dude - help the good people not the evil ones. You don't help Al-Qaeda, Taliban etc. But you do help people who are genuinely good. The extremists are in various pockets e.g. Pakistan, Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia, Syria. There are moderate majorities in Egypt, Tunisia, UAE, Bahrain, Qatar, Iraq, Iran, Kuwait, Oman etc. So why is the west not supporting the peaceful demonstrations in Bahrain yet it is supporting the thugs and criminals of Syria who are nothing but violent? Also I hope that was not a racist term you used.....

Leave a comment:

• oscarose
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    That would be a good suggestion if the West wasn't so greedy for its oil-based/constructed consumables
    And there lies the root problem...

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    And the govt.

And by sasguru.

The list is endless.
    You lack the analytical skills necessary to distinguish truth from falsehood anyway.
    HTH, BIDI

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Best leave the rags be I'd suggest.
    That would be a good suggestion if the West wasn't so greedy for its oil-based/constructed consumables

Leave a comment:

• oscarose
    replied
    @OP

Very true old chap.

Look at Libya, al-Qaeda is now running the show.

Best leave the rags be I'd suggest. No one's a winner.

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by mrdonuts View Post
    cant believe the usa stance on this, it actually looks like assad is the lesser of two evils however unpalatable that may seem. The Israelis are getting twitchy about the Syrian chemical weapons and look likely to take them out and you cant blame them
    You honestly think that Syria poses the slightest threat to Israel. I really don't get why people don't see the stupidity of the suggestions that Israel is somehow under threat from Syria/Iran. Israel poses a much larger threat to them than visa versa. Syria is a weak country and is now surrounded (politically, economically, militarily). However bad Asad is, he is no worse than the Saudi govn, Jordanian Govt etc who the west seem happy to chum up to.

Leave a comment:

• mrdonuts
    replied
    cant believe the usa stance on this, it actually looks like assad is the lesser of two evils however unpalatable that may seem. The Israelis are getting twitchy about the Syrian chemical weapons and look likely to take them out and you cant blame them

Leave a comment:

Working...
X