• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "If the universe consists of an infinite number of parallel universes....."

Collapse

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
    No toast! Or muffins! We don't like muffins around here! We want no muffins, no toast, no teacakes, no buns, baps, baguettes or bagels, no croissants, no crumpets, no pancakes, no potato cakes and no hot-cross buns and definitely no smegging flapjacks!
    Poptart?

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    Originally posted by kingcook View Post
    Given that God is infinite, and given that the Universe is infinite... would you like a toasted tea cake?
    No toast! Or muffins! We don't like muffins around here! We want no muffins, no toast, no teacakes, no buns, baps, baguettes or bagels, no croissants, no crumpets, no pancakes, no potato cakes and no hot-cross buns and definitely no smegging flapjacks!

Leave a comment:

• alluvial
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    In the film I was watching last night where a company offered time travel safaris at the time of the dinosaurs, a client accidentally stood on a butterfly and the entire evolution of man was wiped out.

This got me thinking....suppose the butterfly was killed by a lizard, then this would have had the same effect, so just remember before you kill a fly or an ant or a beetle this may just wipe out a future civilisation.
    Ooh, I remember that short story. Maybe Asimov or Clarke. If I remember it correctly, there is a carefully calculated path laid out that they can't deviate from but he steps off of it to get a better shot at a T-Rex and squishes the butterfly.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    In the film I was watching last night where a company offered time travel safaris at the time of the dinosaurs, a client accidentally stood on a butterfly and the entire evolution of man was wiped out.

This got me thinking....suppose the butterfly was killed by a lizard, then this would have had the same effect, so just remember before you kill a fly or an ant or a beetle this may just wipe out a future civilisation.
    Or you unknowingly kill the only fly that has mutant genes that would have wiped the entire human race within five years

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by kingcook View Post
    Given that God is infinite, and given that the Universe is infinite... would you like a toasted tea cake?

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Ignis Fatuus
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    If the universe consists of an infinite number of parallel universes where each conceivable option throughout the last 13.7bn of existence is simultaneously played out, wouldn't logic state that in one of those parallel universes parallel universes don't exist?
    Clearly that particular universe is not really conceivable, by reductio ad absurdum.

Leave a comment:

• VirtualMonkey
    replied
    i suggest you have a listen to the infinite monkey cage from radio 4 on monday. should be on the iplayer by now.
    they had this discussion on there

Leave a comment:

• alluvial
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Dont bother, in another universe, you already have!
    Ah, but in this universe I have now started on a can of Stella. So I shall definately refrain.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by alluvial View Post
    I was going to reply to this thread but I think I better wait until my kidneys have dealt with the excess of red win that I've drunk tonight.
    Dont bother, in another universe, you already have!

Leave a comment:

• alluvial
    replied
    I was going to reply to this thread but I think I better wait until my kidneys have dealt with the excess of red win that I've drunk tonight.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    If you have a parallel universe why would everything be slightly different (as they are on telly where everyone has a counterpart).....if there some slight differences millions and millions of years ago this would lead to a totallly different world....i.e. a mutant ape a bit more intelligent than the rest of the clan falls off a cliff so stopping evolution to man.
    Things would be different because in those 'other' universes, you have made a different decision. So for example, in one universe you take the decision to go contracting, in another universe you dont and stay permie. In another universe you select a different permie career path, in another you accept one contract but in another, you turn it down. Etc, etc, ad infinitum.

In any number of paralell universes, mankind doesnt exist because the evolutionary branch went extinct, in another homo erectus never developed, in another neanderthals succeeded and homo sapiens died out etc.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    If the universe consists of an infinite number of parallel universes where each conceivable option throughout the last 13.7bn of existence is simultaneously played out, wouldn't logic state that in one of those parallel universes parallel universes don't exist?
    If the theory of an infinite number of parallel universes hold true, then yes, one such universe would exist.

And therefore, we would have a paradox.

Leave a comment:

• kingcook
    replied

Leave a comment:

• darrenb
    replied
    Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
    I don't really understand all the hatred of Sasguru ; he seems a nice enough chap to me.
    To me too. In a parallel universe.

about a googolplex permutations removed from our own.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X