• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The rise and fall of Yahoo"

Collapse

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    Before Google came along I used Alta Vista
    Before Google came along, Yahoo! wasn't a search engine. They added search in 2000, and until 2004 their search capability was provided by... Google.

Leave a comment:

• DS23
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Yahoo must be doing something right because I spend all fooking day pissing around on the internet and I haven't looked at their site for at least ten years.

yahoo. the only mitch piss free site on the internet

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    She's pregnant
    Shhh, we're trying to keep it secret.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Would you sleep with the boss, just for a promotion?

Well would ya?
    yes

In fact, most blokes would do it and happily be downgraded to tape changer.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

Well would ya?
    She's pregnant

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Yahoo must be doing something wrong because I spend all fooking day pissing around on the internet and I haven't looked at their site for at least ten years.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    I'd hump her leg just for a demotion to Leg Hump Boy.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied

Well would ya?

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Yahoo! Poaches! New! CEO! From! Google! ? The Register

New CEO at Yahoo!

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Anybody on here who does not have a grudge against Yahoo?

Thought so ...
    No grudge here but I don't remember using them.

Before Google came along I used Alta Vista

Who remembers Archie and Gopher?

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Is that the same as Last.fm?
    Yes it is, but the yahoo one was 10 years ago!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
    Yahoo used to do a thing called Launchcast which I used to death. Then it suddenly stopped. It was like having your own radio station that streamed the music you told it you liked. It would then use you list iof likes and find the music that others liked who also liked the stuff you liked...like! I liked that! Ive hardly touched them since that stopped. They ran an ad free version in the US where you subscribed but not outside Europe. Had they offered it in the Uk I probably would have subscribed. Also the US site had much more of a rock slant than the UK/EU based one.
    Is that the same as Last.fm?

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Yahoo used to do a thing called Launchcast which I used to death. Then it suddenly stopped. It was like having your own radio station that streamed the music you told it you liked. It would then use you list iof likes and find the music that others liked who also liked the stuff you liked...like! I liked that! Ive hardly touched them since that stopped. They ran an ad free version in the US where you subscribed but not outside Europe. Had they offered it in the Uk I probably would have subscribed. Also the US site had much more of a rock slant than the UK/EU based one.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Gentile View Post
    I've never understood how people can consider free web offerings that are based on a model of presenting advertisements to users of a free service to be viable commodities. They always seem to fall down on two main counts:
    1. People aren't stupid
    2. Adblock Plus exists

Companies like LinkedIn and GroupOn, whilst they turn over a lot, have never been profitable. And I'm pretty sure that the likes of Google and Facebook, who seem to get by in the advertising world by ignoring privacy and antitrust issues like there was no tomorrow, are grossly over-valued too.
    LinkedIn is profitable. FaceBook is profitable. And Google - they're VERY profitable.

Saying Google's going to collapse because it's "only advertising" is pretty bloody stupid. Advertising is massive business - look at how much it costs to run an ad on TV and that doesn't even let you click a link.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    Yahoo have hired a new Chief Executive now.
    I rather think I would....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X