• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Has anyone worked at one of the big consultancies (Accenture, IBM etc)"

Collapse

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    You could have started Microsoft back then, or Google
    Same old story of getting taken over by a Yank company then everything going rapidly downhill I'm afraid.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Had an interview at KPMG in 2000, passed first round but decided not to go ahead with next

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    I've been at two blue-chip companies when big consultancies were sussed and terminated as a waste of money.

It wasn't my doings either.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    I was being charged out at £200 a day plus expenses in 1981 when I was on £8000 a year.

3 days' chargeout was roughly equivalent to a month's take home pay.

And the buggers didn't give me a company car.

The twats even complained about my expenses.

Not surprisingly I was soon offered a job at a client. Nearly double the pay and a Beemer for a company car, but the experience already had me planning to go independant when the time was right.
    You could have started Microsoft back then, or Google

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I don't think anyone is under any illusion they have ever really been getting their moneys worth. Accenture particularly has had a reputation of taking wet behind the ears consultants straight out of Uni and charging 4 figures for creating pretty presentations for the days of being Andersen Consulting and before.
    ctrl+c, ctrl+v

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by dws123 View Post
    The Certified and online payroll company Professional designation is an exam-based payroll .management and support to facilitate a company’s overall business goals. its could be consultancies like accenture and ibm .they are a service provider..you can go for it.
    Does anyone have a clue what this means? Looks like it was written by a moron....

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    For me I am about building links with boutique outfits now because the likes of Accenture and Cap have raped the market too hard and I don't think clients get their moneys worth anymore...
    I don't think anyone is under any illusion they have ever really been getting their moneys worth. Accenture particularly has had a reputation of taking wet behind the ears consultants straight out of Uni and charging 4 figures for creating pretty presentations for the days of being Andersen Consulting and before.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    I worked for a boutique firm in the print industry in the 90's we charged our customers a fortune for our skills but all the consultants drove top end cars (Audi Or Beemer) and we were told to look the part. Decent suit etc. The company wanted to let the customers see where their money was going. (we hire the best and have to pay them well sort of thing)

When you are paying a grand a day for a bright young thing then find that he can't get to the office today because the consultancy have not payed his expenses and he didn't have the money for a bus then something has gone very wrong.

For me I am about building links with boutique outfits now because the likes of Accenture and Cap have raped the market too hard and I don't think clients get their moneys worth anymore...
    Presumably you'll need a man bag if working for a boutique outfit...

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    I worked for a boutique firm in the print industry in the 90's we charged our customers a fortune for our skills but all the consultants drove top end cars (Audi Or Beemer) and we were told to look the part. Decent suit etc. The company wanted to let the customers see where their money was going. (we hire the best and have to pay them well sort of thing)

When you are paying a grand a day for a bright young thing then find that he can't get to the office today because the consultancy have not payed his expenses and he didn't have the money for a bus then something has gone very wrong.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by lukemg View Post
    Had a mate who worked for one of the big 'uns from uni, Big hours and postings at short notice all over the place (sounds good at first but novelty wears off quick I find).
    Worked well when he was younger.
    Picked up some very good contacts though and when he bounced out, his ex-boss was now CIO at a big oil firm and paid him 850/day + expenses and wfh fridays - Thought he was getting him cheap as previous charge out was 1200+ !
    I worked for one as well, that where I got my nick name, alreadypacked.

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    Had a mate who worked for one of the big 'uns from uni, Big hours and postings at short notice all over the place (sounds good at first but novelty wears off quick I find).
    Worked well when he was younger.
    Picked up some very good contacts though and when he bounced out, his ex-boss was now CIO at a big oil firm and paid him 850/day + expenses and wfh fridays - Thought he was getting him cheap as previous charge out was 1200+ !

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    I worked at IBM for 3 years, only moved as they were starting to rate cut. Fairly good rate, not the best, not the worst and 3 years there paid for a house.

Wouldn't work there again. I quoted some work for them, 80 days development. Come back from holiday and once they'd added all their PM gumpf, it was 265 days. The client, rightly, told them to go forth

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    There's a book about these consultancies, linky:

Rip-Off!

Worth a read.
    and the TV show House of Lies (TV Series 2012) - IMDb

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Originally posted by Gentile View Post
    Don't worry, your 22-year-old vintage johnny collection is quite safe. I said I was an uneducated Jock, I didn't say I don't have standards.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    No you didn't you lying . You said, "Yes sir, what can I do for you sir". Internet blowhard.
    Imagine being called an internet blowhard by the internet's biggest blowhard

Step away from the keyboard and back into your famous five books, twat

Leave a comment:

Working...
X