• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How would you you crash a plane?"

Collapse

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    It's actually quite hard to keep a lock on a GSM tower when moving at 500 mph. The handshaking and handoffs put too much pressure on the cells. This is why they don't allow you to turn it on.

Pico (or femto) cells mounted on the plane alleviate this problem, but it costs a bundle.

The reason they get you to turn electronics off at takeoff and landing is crowd control. If they have a bad landing / takeoff they don't want you messing around with your iPod, they want you concentrating on the instructions you're being given.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Picocells coming to an aircraft near you fairly soon.
    Is that what they have between their ears?

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    I am pretty sure that it is very little to do with the fact they interfere with the euqipment (although I am sure there is potential for disruption) and it is an awful lot more to do with not having to sit next ignorant loudmouther barrow boys spouting sh!t down the phone for two hours

'' Yeah Awright Guv'nor Yeah I am on a Plane -- Yeah a plane yeah yeah flying on a plane"

"Yeah still flying - will be flying until we land yeah mate on a plane"

Repeat to fade

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    Don't be a show-off. Never be too proud to turn back. There are old pilots and bold pilots, but no old, bold pilots
    I heard that. No, I think cautious is the way to be. Funny, but I know some pilots, and one armed officer, and they're all the most reassuringly calm people you'd know.

Although one pilot, Alistair is what I will call him, is a dirty fecker who knows no shame...

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
    Strangely its what my wife said, that she'd want me to be cautious.

Cheers, I think I just might you know.
    Don't be a show-off. Never be too proud to turn back. There are old pilots and bold pilots, but no old, bold pilots

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Cautious = safe pilot.

I'd fly with you.
    Strangely its what my wife said, that she'd want me to be cautious.

Cheers, I think I just might you know.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    No, I understand that, and really enjoyed the flying, but I am just cautious; I guess I know what I am like.

Might do at some stage though, I know I enjoyed it very much.
    Cautious = safe pilot.

I'd fly with you.

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Kissing the ground gently without bending anything, that's the key

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Go for it! I'll be grounded soon because of eyesight problems and I'll miss it sorely after flying for 35 years but like anything you get a passion for it can be the most rewarding experience.

Attention to detail keeps you alive driving or walking across a busy road, no difference.
    No, I understand that, and really enjoyed the flying, but I am just cautious; I guess I know what I am like.

Might do at some stage though, I know I enjoyed it very much.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    No flight is possible, without hitting the terrain at some point. Apart from space flight I guess. Every flight I have taken has ended with the plane touching the terrain...
    Kissing the ground gently without bending anything, that's the key

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    I'd agree in the main, I must admit. I just think it's a fairly high stakes gamble, that's all.

I did fly once or twice, and often think about getting a ppl. However, I just don't think I would be thorough enough, or anal enough, in the attention to detail you'd need. That's not intended as an insult by the way, on the contrary. I don't think I'd be good at it.
    Go for it! I'll be grounded soon because of eyesight problems and I'll miss it sorely after flying for 35 years but like anything you get a passion for it can be the most rewarding experience.

Attention to detail keeps you alive driving or walking across a busy road, no difference.

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Banning electronics at some or all stages of a flight is for litigation avoidance not terrain avoidance.
    No flight is possible, without hitting the terrain at some point. Apart from space flight I guess. Every flight I have taken has ended with the plane touching the terrain...

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by Fishface View Post
    Having worked with some GSM radio engineers some years ago, they told me that the phones weren't the issue in total - but the base stations that adjust their RF output according to demand and the phones put out more power in their request for the base station and anchor current cell - add to this passing through several cells whilst taking off causes a maelstrom of RF cell pass-through, request and send - which has not been exhaustively tested to prove safe. And therefore to exclude this RF activity is probably a good idea.

However, once you are up there out of the range of a base station maybe there isn't a problem - but who could be arsed testing?
    Banning electronics at some or all stages of a flight is for litigation avoidance not terrain avoidance.

Leave a comment:

• Fishface
    replied
    its not the phones themselves...

Having worked with some GSM radio engineers some years ago, they told me that the phones weren't the issue in total - but the base stations that adjust their RF output according to demand and the phones put out more power in their request for the base station and anchor current cell - add to this passing through several cells whilst taking off causes a maelstrom of RF cell pass-through, request and send - which has not been exhaustively tested to prove safe. And therefore to exclude this RF activity is probably a good idea.

However, once you are up there out of the range of a base station maybe there isn't a problem - but who could be arsed testing?

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    You'll never be a statistic then

Prangs >= driver fcking up.
    I'd agree in the main, I must admit. I just think it's a fairly high stakes gamble, that's all.

I did fly once or twice, and often think about getting a ppl. However, I just don't think I would be thorough enough, or anal enough, in the attention to detail you'd need. That's not intended as an insult by the way, on the contrary. I don't think I'd be good at it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X