• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How would you you crash a plane?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    You'll never be a statistic then

Prangs >= driver fcking up.
    I'd agree in the main, I must admit. I just think it's a fairly high stakes gamble, that's all.

I did fly once or twice, and often think about getting a ppl. However, I just don't think I would be thorough enough, or anal enough, in the attention to detail you'd need. That's not intended as an insult by the way, on the contrary. I don't think I'd be good at it.

Comment

its not the phones themselves...

Having worked with some GSM radio engineers some years ago, they told me that the phones weren't the issue in total - but the base stations that adjust their RF output according to demand and the phones put out more power in their request for the base station and anchor current cell - add to this passing through several cells whilst taking off causes a maelstrom of RF cell pass-through, request and send - which has not been exhaustively tested to prove safe. And therefore to exclude this RF activity is probably a good idea.

However, once you are up there out of the range of a base station maybe there isn't a problem - but who could be arsed testing?

Comment

Originally posted by Fishface View Post
        Having worked with some GSM radio engineers some years ago, they told me that the phones weren't the issue in total - but the base stations that adjust their RF output according to demand and the phones put out more power in their request for the base station and anchor current cell - add to this passing through several cells whilst taking off causes a maelstrom of RF cell pass-through, request and send - which has not been exhaustively tested to prove safe. And therefore to exclude this RF activity is probably a good idea.

However, once you are up there out of the range of a base station maybe there isn't a problem - but who could be arsed testing?
        Banning electronics at some or all stages of a flight is for litigation avoidance not terrain avoidance.
        Me, me, me...

Comment

Banning electronics at some or all stages of a flight is for litigation avoidance not terrain avoidance.
          No flight is possible, without hitting the terrain at some point. Apart from space flight I guess. Every flight I have taken has ended with the plane touching the terrain...

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
            I'd agree in the main, I must admit. I just think it's a fairly high stakes gamble, that's all.

I did fly once or twice, and often think about getting a ppl. However, I just don't think I would be thorough enough, or anal enough, in the attention to detail you'd need. That's not intended as an insult by the way, on the contrary. I don't think I'd be good at it.
            Go for it! I'll be grounded soon because of eyesight problems and I'll miss it sorely after flying for 35 years but like anything you get a passion for it can be the most rewarding experience.

Attention to detail keeps you alive driving or walking across a busy road, no difference.
            Me, me, me...

Comment

No flight is possible, without hitting the terrain at some point. Apart from space flight I guess. Every flight I have taken has ended with the plane touching the terrain...
              Kissing the ground gently without bending anything, that's the key
              Me, me, me...

Comment

Go for it! I'll be grounded soon because of eyesight problems and I'll miss it sorely after flying for 35 years but like anything you get a passion for it can be the most rewarding experience.

Attention to detail keeps you alive driving or walking across a busy road, no difference.
                No, I understand that, and really enjoyed the flying, but I am just cautious; I guess I know what I am like.

Might do at some stage though, I know I enjoyed it very much.

Comment

Kissing the ground gently without bending anything, that's the key

Comment

No, I understand that, and really enjoyed the flying, but I am just cautious; I guess I know what I am like.

Might do at some stage though, I know I enjoyed it very much.
                    Cautious = safe pilot.

I'd fly with you.
                    Me, me, me...

Comment

Cautious = safe pilot.

I'd fly with you.
                      Strangely its what my wife said, that she'd want me to be cautious.

Cheers, I think I just might you know.

Comment

Working...
                      X