• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How would you you crash a plane?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gentile View Post
    Let's just say it involves some snakes and a tall black man, though.
    I'd be more worried about perverts than terrorists TBH.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

The turning off and stowing of electronics at take-off and landing is to reduce the number of potential projectiles in the cabin if the plane has to stop suddenly (aborted take off) or make an aggresive manouvre (go around).

Personnally I hope they never allow the use of mobile phone calls in aircraft - can you imagine having to sit beside some loud-mouth on his/her phone all the way to your next caribbean holiday??

Comment

Originally posted by Acme Thunderer View Post
        The turning off and stowing of electronics at take-off and landing is to reduce the number of potential projectiles in the cabin if the plane has to stop suddenly (aborted take off) or make an aggresive manouvre (go around).

Personnally I hope they never allow the use of mobile phone calls in aircraft - can you imagine having to sit beside some loud-mouth on his/her phone all the way to your next caribbean holiday??
        If an agressive manoeuvre resulted in loose items flying around the cabin the wings would likely be off. I've been through one aborted take off and two go arounds, I've pulled more G driving driving through a roundabout.

Did an overnight in NI this weekend flying Saturday and back on Sunday, 737-800. Both flights the usual turn off yer phone during take off and landing announcement, a couple of people around me were still texting or taking pics in full view of cabin crew who didn't bother to enforce this as we taxied out and took off.
        Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
          Did an overnight in NI this weekend flying Saturday and back on Sunday, 737-800. Both flights the usual turn off yer phone during take off and landing announcement, a couple of people around me were still texting or taking pics in full view of cabin crew who didn't bother to enforce this as we taxied out and took off.
          You're lucky to be alive man!
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
            You're lucky to be alive man!
            Aye, the pub was a bit rough.
            Me, me, me...

Comment

I have only a couple of hard and fast rules, but one of them is to listen to folk talking about electronics causing issues to 600 ton flying machines. For, if you are wrong, you don't just lose face, you lose all the other important parts too. Ask me a question about my field and I will back my answer 100%. I don't know about electronics interfering with avionics. I also happen to know there's an awful lot of tosh on t'internet. Sometimes, it's best just to go with the flow, and this is one of them times. IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
                I have only a couple of hard and fast rules, but one of them is to listen to folk talking about electronics causing issues to 600 ton flying machines. For, if you are wrong, you don't just lose face, you lose all the other important parts too. Ask me a question about my field and I will back my answer 100%. I don't know about electronics interfering with avionics. I also happen to know there's an awful lot of tosh on t'internet. Sometimes, it's best just to go with the flow, and this is one of them times. IMO.
                I fly aeroplanes, I don't switch my phone off.
                Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
                  I fly aeroplanes, I don't switch my phone off.
                  I don't and do.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
                    I don't and do.
                    You'll never be a statistic then

Prangs >= driver fcking up.
                    Me, me, me...

Comment

I'm sure we've all seen instances of phones interfering with CRT monitors.

The weirdest one I came across was (true story) when we got a free ioniser from Viking - the stationery people.
                      Plugged it in under a desk in the office. This was probably early 90s.

One of the PCs started playing up - excel kept showing wrong calculations and corruptions. We were convinced it was a virus. Lots of scans and stuff.

Eventually (and it took weeks) we tried unplugging the ioniser. Excel behaved perfectly. Plugged it back in and it broke. Did it enough times to convince ourselves the ioniser was the issue. Binned it, and never had a problem again.

Comment

Working...
                      X