• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: The Shard

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The Shard"

Collapse

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    What's that? Is that like going up the Oxo Tower with an Arabian girl?
    The tallest building in the world.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Kalifa sounds more like with her brother.
    Last edited by Sysman; 5 July 2012, 21:42.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Oops:

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    It sure looks like a magnet for hijacked planes.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Yes, but how many people that work there are going to live in tulipville?
    And it hasn't exactly rejuvenated the area. It's like a massive spike of wealth in amongst the poor people.

Having said that, I actually quite like it, I can see it from my desk at this very moment.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    No they put you in prison for that in the UAE.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    It's not much more to go up the Kalifa.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
    and advanced tickets to go to the viewing gallery are £25 / adult
    It's not much more to go up the Kalifa. Although I found that a bit disappointing, the viewing platform was nowhere near the top.

I like how the top keeps disappearing in the clouds when it's shown in rain-breaks at Wimbledon.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Former London mayor Ken Livingstone told BBC Radio Four's Today programme: "It will define London and it's our equivalent to the Empire State building.

"It brought 10,000 jobs to one of the most run down and deprived areas of London but unlike a lot of the other tall buildings, Londoners will have access to this one."
    Yes, but how many people that work there are going to live in tulipville?

Leave a comment:

• redgiant
    replied
    There is a opening light show at the Shard tonight at 10:15. I'll be having a few cold ones at the boozer up the river which has a good view of it.

BBC News - Shard due for laser inauguration amid ticket price anger

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    The building does have more than a slight whiff of monstrous carbuncle about it.
    Indeed, it pongs of Pyongyang. The Pyongyang Pong.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    The building does have more than a slight whiff of monstrous carbuncle about it.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Is it a miniature version of the Great Leader's megalomaniac failure project in Pyongyang, the Ryugyong hotel?

Ryugyong Hotel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Leave a comment:

• Scoobos
    replied
    I walked past it at night the other week and couldn't help but think the whole area round London Bridge is getting pretty grim nowadays.

I hope they have spent some money to do the surrounding area up a bit.

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    and advanced tickets to go to the viewing gallery are £25 / adult

Leave a comment:

Working...
X