• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "A large weight has been lifted"

Collapse

• MyUserName
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    I havn't felt this good for months. A large weight has been lifted off my shoulders

My dev work has finished, nine days ahead of schedule, I finished the last module yesterday after doing a weeks hours in a weekend.

I now have a whole 9 days to polish the app, put some nice touches in, some extra validations, and improve some structures, before I have to hand it over to the testers.

total luxury. I might even spend a bit of time on the missus tonight

Nice work!

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Can't polish a turd though...
    Although you can roll it in glitter.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by aussielong View Post
    I'm just a dev too. But the project i'm on now is great. The BA does what I tell her, not the other way around. I'm driving the analysis and development. She does investigation and fact collection for me in the background. The PM stays well out of it unless we have a road block. I do my own testing but the BA can help here. Perfect. They are both on a lower rate than me. This is the way it should be. Dev should lead, PM and BA assist. Any dev can't fit into this model should die out by natural selection. This is the only way forward or development is finished due to offshoring of programming and onshoring of analysis.

I'm not being arrogant - I just think the dev generally has more breadth and depth than the others. The other are performing a task on behalf of the dev. Those jobs used to be tasks, not careers.

How to enforce this? By licensing similar to what chartered accountants have.
    anyone can code. even my cat could probably code.
    but few can do it very well, and fewer still are good devs.

a good dev is 8 times better than an average guy, and an ace is eight times better again

in my humble opinion

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I havn't felt this good for months. A large weight has been lifted off my shoulders

My dev work has finished, nine days ahead of schedule, I finished the last module yesterday after doing a weeks hours in a weekend.

I now have a whole 9 days to polish the app, put some nice touches in, some extra validations, and improve some structures, before I have to hand it over to the testers.

Can't polish a turd though...

Leave a comment:

• aussielong
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    You are only a code monkey? I always had more respect for you than that but I guess I shouldn't have done
    I'm just a dev too. But the project i'm on now is great. The BA does what I tell her, not the other way around. I'm driving the analysis and development. She does investigation and fact collection for me in the background. The PM stays well out of it unless we have a road block. I do my own testing but the BA can help here. Perfect. They are both on a lower rate than me. This is the way it should be. Dev should lead, PM and BA assist. Any dev can't fit into this model should die out by natural selection. This is the only way forward or development is finished due to offshoring of programming and onshoring of analysis.

I'm not being arrogant - I just think the dev generally has more breadth and depth than the others. The other are performing a task on behalf of the dev. Those jobs used to be tasks, not careers.

How to enforce this? By licensing similar to what chartered accountants have.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    You are only a code monkey? I always had more respect for you than that but I guess I shouldn't have done
    Stick to what you are good at, that's my motto.

plus it pays well, it's challenging and it's varied.

I will just have to try harder to earn your respect

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied

Leave a comment:

• aussielong
    replied
    aye

I have spent the afternoon sitting in the sun, thinking and descrambling me head.
    any dev out there will know exactly what I mean

Now you can sleep properly without stepping through code in your head. Enjoy.

Leave a comment:

• moggy
    replied

polishing your app and time on the missus... excessive...

Leave a comment:

• Gentile
    replied
    Reminds me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRPC7a_AcQo

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Now you need some clever marketing, here is one idea - sell only 1 (ONE) copy of the app EVER for $999,999.99

Offer free Aston Martin to the first and only buyer.

Or lease your software & hardware with a minimum 3 year contract.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I now have a whole 9 days to polish the app
    Now you need some clever marketing, here is one idea - sell only 1 (ONE) copy of the app EVER for $999,999.99

Offer free Aston Martin to the first and only buyer.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
    Well done mate. Have a fossies!
    aye

I have spent the afternoon sitting in the sun, thinking and descrambling me head.
    any dev out there will know exactly what I mean

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied

Well done mate. Have a fossies!

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    started a topic A large weight has been lifted

A large weight has been lifted

Working...
X