• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Happy Permie Day!

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Happy Permie Day!"

Collapse

• Old Hack
    replied
    Why do permies come on here to gloat about a paid bank holiday? I don't get it, genuinely don't get it.

You obviously went permie for a reason, so why post on a contractors board about a bank holiday?

As it happens, I worked at 2 * my daily rate yesterday and from home. But I digress.

I also happen to clear close to 80% of my money. So Diver, with your £105k, being taxed and NI'd, you'd be clearing ~ £65k.

And you're bragging about this?

Wow.

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Me and a permie support guy were the only 2 people in the IT department.

He was on double time, and I was working on a side project. Got loads done too!

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by russell View Post
    I'm sure rent boys say the same thing as they spend their 50 quid on some smack. Some of us have integrity and refuse to offer our souls to a corporation.
    You mean You have never been offered a permanent position with an attractive salary?

Other than face down or bent over for your less adventurous clients you mean (hence the rent boy comment).

Outed yourself there didn't you rent boy

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    We seem to have a lot of permies on here all of a sudden.

Splitters!

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I never found appraisals such a problem. 30min a year, big deal.
    I'm sure rent boys say the same thing as they spend their 50 quid on some smack. Some of us have integrity and refuse to offer our souls to a corporation.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I never found appraisals such a problem. 30min a year, big deal.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    But the problem remains. You still have to do appraisals.

Until HR are put up against a wall and shot, this is the key point that will never get me back to permiedom. That and the fact I have ten weeks holiday a year, and often work short weeks to do other stuff that's more interesting.
    True, and I only get 6 weeks a year unless I bump it up with a few lieu days by covering 1/2 days some weekends (1 day in lieu for every 1/2 day worked on weekends)
    I also have to get permission to take my holidays but as I manage my own workload it is up to me to determine when time off would cause least disruption.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Diver View Post
    ...I am secure in the knowledge that my services are indispensable and that the ball is in my court when I go for appraisal.

I don't have to toady to anyone

One of the advantages of being in a new industry with skills and experiences that are in demand because people with them are in short supply
    But the problem remains. You still have to do appraisals.

Until HR are put up against a wall and shot, this is the key point that will never get me back to permiedom. That and the fact I have ten weeks holiday a year, and often work short weeks to do other stuff that's more interesting.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I just love leap years. Permies have to work an extra day for no extra pay.
    No they just get one day fewer extra pay for February those years

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Just to rub salt in the wound;

Personal Development Plan
    Targets
    KPIs
    360 degree appraisal
    Personal Development Plan - They ask me if I want to do any courses. Last year it cost them £7.500.
    Targets - don't have any other than my bonus targets which are easily exceeded with no effort.
    KPI's - clients request me and are reluctant to allow me to be replaced on projects so my KPI sorted.
    Don't have any immediate subordinates, peers, and supervise myself. just send in timesheets and occasionally phone or visit the office. (visited my office 6 times last year twice so far this year).
    Not all permies are slave driven 9 - 5'ers. this is a new era and the company (consultancy) I work for is one of the best.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Enjoy bending over at anal reviews. A rent boy could also earn what you earn, doesn't mean one would want to do it.

I am earning a bag of cash while working on my plan B as I haven't go anything to do at the moment.
    No they don't

I am secure in the knowledge that my services are indispensable and that the ball is in my court when I go for appraisal.

One of the advantages of being in a new industry with skills and experiences that are in demand because people with them are in short supply
    Rent boys, anal reviews, indispensable services and balls in court; a typical CUK General day.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    I got through one appraisal at PermieCo, and that was okay. Just sat down for half an hour with the guy I sit next to and talked about the things that we talk about anyway.

There are pros and cons. Just having money turn up in my bank account once a month without me having to worry about invoicing or PAYE is quite nice. Of course I wish it was more money. And I can't claim back the travel expenses, but that means I don't have to worry about keeping track of any of it.

But I can't get the hang of the paid holiday lark. It's June, and I've only managed 3 days off out of 25, and have nothing else booked.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Enjoy bending over at anal reviews.
    No they don't

I am secure in the knowledge that my services are indispensable and that the ball is in my court when I go for appraisal.

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    My goodness!

You are on more than £100 an hour

You have BUPA, Paid holidays, Paid sickness, shares and a pension WOW!

You get to work from home 3 days a week too!

Wanna swap jobs
    Enjoy bending over at anal reviews. A rent boy could also earn what you earn, doesn't mean one would want to do it.

I am earning a bag of cash while working on my plan B as I haven't go anything to do at the moment.
    Last edited by russell; 5 June 2012, 09:38.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    You're beginning to sound like Sasguru.

Sorry, that was unnecessary.
    Ssshhh!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X