• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: CV integrity?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "CV integrity?"

Collapse

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by oscarose View Post
    anonymous forum = anonymous poll

WHS

anonymous forearm = anonymous pole

Leave a comment:

• oscarose
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Oi! Why isn't the poll anonymous?

I thought confessions were between me, the priest and God, not you bunch of tossers too !
    anonymous forum = anonymous poll

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post

I thought confessions were between me, the priest and God, not you bunch of tossers too !
    Hmm! Fairy Tail eh?

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied

Leave a comment:

• oscarose
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    You can portray the work you've done in the most advantageous way without lying.
    A few years ago, I slightly exaggerated my Oracle skills to get a contract (I’m mostly SQL Server). As the concepts are the same just a different toolkit, I put initial rustiness down to different versions and I was fine and indeed got several extensions.

I was 100% confident I could fulfil the role and that was my only concern. Forget the morals old boy, I’ve got a mortgage to pay.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    100% true. For a given value of "true" of course.
    So you really did single handedly write the Mars Lander program for NASA then

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    100% true. For a given value of "true" of course.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Agreed, but your CV is the sales pitch to get you in the door and a bit of ‘flowering’ up does no harm IMO.

You can portray the work you've done in the most advantageous way without lying.

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied
    Fortunately being a tester there seems to be plenty of work out there, so I see what you say by it's your sales pitch. Therefore I tend to ensure I eveidenced as much as possible whilst still keeping it concise and readable.

Leave a comment:

• oscarose
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    A scummy agent rewrote it
    More like 'Complete fairy story' then...

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    This poll needs another option:
    • A scummy agent rewrote it

Which is why I voted AndyW wrote it

Leave a comment:

• rd409
    replied
    I am work in a very niche market, and every one knows everyone. Can't help but be honest. As a matter of fact, never needed to lie on the CV so far. Hope it stays like that.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    have the (so far) 8 people who said their cv only contains the 'truth' told a fib!?
    Considering that there are only a handful of us in the UK and the industry, and project list, is very very limited (most of us in the industry know each other either personally or by reputation) it would be very difficult to pad out our CV's as you'd be found out almost immediately as everyone who sends a CV into our consultancy will in their list projects that several of us have worked on.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Agreed, but your CV is the sales pitch to get you in the door and a bit of ‘flowering’ up does no harm IMO.

WOS. It's not lying, it's selling.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    have the (so far) 8 people who said their cv only contains the 'truth' told a fib!?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X