• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: LED lights

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "LED lights"

Collapse

• Old Hack
    replied
    Originally posted by nomadd View Post
    So let me get this straight... Since the fitment of these lights in your bathroom you now record the elapsed time from pressing the On switch to the actual illumination of the bulbs. And you have recorded a figure of exactly 1 ms.

I don't believe you.
    I believe it takes the time of a blink, so I ensue I blink as I switch to see if they are illuminated. Yesterday, my blink slightly beat it to light up, so I have since called the sparky and asked him to remove the dis-functioning rubbish and to birch himself in penance.

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
    Normally a millisecond to light up..
    So let me get this straight... Since the fitment of these lights in your bathroom you now record the elapsed time from pressing the On switch to the actual illumination of the bulbs. And you have recorded a figure of exactly 1 ms.

I don't believe you.

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    We've just had one of the Bathrooms converted to total LED and haven't seen this. Normally a millisecond to light up, and straight off.

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    I had a fluorescent light in my bedroom as a teenager. That would glow after an evening's use if I touched it.
    You sure you are talking about a "fluorescent light"?

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    I doubt it´s technical

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Thanks for sharing

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    It's art, innit.

Richard Box

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    as a teenager it would glow after an evening's use if I touched it.
    Typical for a teenager

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post

It can only be capacitance, or resistance or inductance ..
    or memristance

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I bought an LED light bulb for our stairwell, and noticed that it was glowing even when the switch is off. Current leakage, I though (or badly wired socket). So I took the bulb out - and it still glows for a couple of hours.
    I had a fluorescent light in my bedroom as a teenager. That would glow after an evening's use if I touched it.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    It can only be capacitance, or resistance or inductance - and it sure as tulip aint resistance. All you need to do is rule out which one of the other two it is.

HTH.
    Discussed here

Probably for the same reason a neon lamp glows when it is connected to hot (and nothing else). LEDs respond to very low levels of current, the kind of current you might get when there is a slight capacitive coupling to earth (which is pretty much everywhere). Sometimes electronics isn't as straightforward as it seems.
    It is responding to radiated energy, possibly 60Hz, possibly RF from a local radio station (I'm betting line frequency). A capacitor will divert the energy around the LED.
    So this guy thinks it could be capacitance or inductance. I'd tip on inductance, and the possible RF could be anything, like your NAT router. Either way you are unlikely to figure out what it is, but strapping a 1mic cap across the beast in parallel will probly sort it out. Why not try it and write off to the vendor requesting a mod if it works

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Resistance is futile.
    I can just see George Ohm strutting about in heaven with that on a T-Shirt.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    It can only be capacitance, or resistance or inductance - and it sure as tulip aint resistance. All you need to do is rule out which one of the other two it is.

HTH.

Resistance is futile.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied

HTH.
    what about God & Magic eh?

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I bought an LED light bulb for our stairwell, and noticed that it was glowing even when the switch is off. Current leakage, I though (or badly wired socket). So I took the bulb out - and it still glows for a couple of hours.

HTH.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X