• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Pot of yellow yoghurty stuff when ordering a curry"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    The salad always goes in the fridge, on an optimistic thought I might eat it with my lunch the next day, but ends up being found and thrown out a week later.

The raitha is nice with dry food like tikka chicken or onion bahji or samosas or sheek kebabs (the ones which look like turds) though.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by yetanotherbob View Post
    Sure! It's a volunteer community thing. Everyone's invited.
    And i'm not even remotely a practising religious person..
    Isn't that what Sreve Jobs used to do as a drop out student?

All you need to do is think of a fruit name to call your company,

Apple and Orange are already taken.

How about Pear or Banana?

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by Diver View Post
    Tesco do a bulk bag of Garam Masala, and it's actually a really nice blend.
    Barts do a good garam masala and I also use Ras el Hanout as well. Its not hard to make your own GM.

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    I make my own curries, less fatty. Got some excellent recipes off a Muslim colleagues wife as well.

I love curry, but the fatty tulip these takeaways offer aren't the real thing.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by pacharan View Post
    Don't want any of that yoghurty stuff with a curry. Ditto salad.

For the record, has anyone EVER ordered a dessert in a curry house?
    I never have but I've noticed that you always get those same idendikit dessert menus that you get in Chinkees.
    Bloody hell fire man. This is 2012. You can't go around writing stuff like that.

It's spelled 'Chinky'.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by Diver View Post
    Also check with your local Indian retail outlet, you'd be surprised at the huge discount!

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Kind of saffron coloured with green bits in. You never order it yet it comes along anyway trying to muscle in, along with those bags of sweaty salad.

I swear if curry houses stopped doing this ridiculous practice we would not be back in recession.
    Bile - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    As YAB has explained explained before, sheesh!

I make a good curry, but use All Spice instead of Garam Masala.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    What HD said, why pay a lot of money for god only knows what and make your own.

It's not exactly rocket science.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by Sands of Time View Post
    Forget all that...

I'm still shocked that SY has four children - with a possible fifth on the way...

I'm now unsettled.

Tone
    and this despite being impotent!

Or is that "Important"?

I keep getting those two mixed up

Leave a comment:

• Sands of Time
    replied
    Forget all that...

I'm still shocked that SY has four children - with a possible fifth on the way...

I'm now unsettled.

Tone

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    What really impresses me is that youse guys are still remotely night, at this time of sober

hic

Southerners are well known for their ability to take their beer unless our Northern equivalents who cannot go three pints without trying to offer someone out, tulipting themselves and then going home and beating the wife.

Leave a comment:

• amcdonald
    replied
    Let's face it. Most curry houses or takeways are a sham.
    For really authentic and clean, healthy, nutritious, homemade-like Indian food, drop in to the Sikh temple in Southall on a Sunday afternoon.
    Sakonis do pretty good Indian food, not all curry houses are bad

And that's a veggie one

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    I make my own curries too, not had a takeaway for ages.

Last curry house I went to served boiled chicken with a "I feel like chicken tonight" curry sauce poured over the top.

Rank.

Here's one I made earlier:

2 tablespoons butter
    2 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
    285ml/1/2 pint stock or water
    1.5kg/3 1/2lb leg of lamb, diced
    1 handful of chopped mint and coriander
    285ml/1/2 pint natural yoghurt
    salt and freshly ground black pepper
    lime juice to taste

Hot and Fragrant Rub Mix -

2 tablespoons fennel seeds
    2 tablespoons cumin seeds
    2 tablespoons coriander seeds
    1/2 tablespoon fenugreek seeds
    1/2 tablespoon black peppercorns
    1 clove
    1/2 a cinnamon stick
    2 cardamom pods
    salt and freshly ground black pepper

Curry Paste Ingredients -

5cm/2 inches fresh ginger, peeled
    2 tennis-ball-sized red onions, peeled
    10 cloves of garlic, peeled
    2 fresh chillies, with seeds
    1 bunch of fresh coriander

Preheat your oven to 170C/325F/Gas 3.

Lightly toast the fragrant rub mix in the oven or under the grill. Chop the curry paste ingredients roughly, add the rub mix and puree in a food processor.

In a large casserole pan, fry the curry paste mixture in the butter until it goes golden, stirring regularly. Add the tomatoes and the stock or water. Bring to the boil, cover with kitchen foil and place in the oven for one and a half hours to intensify the flavour. Remove the foil and continue to simmer on the stove until it thickens. This is your basic curry sauce.

Fry the lamb in a little olive oil until golden, then add to the curry sauce and simmer for around 1 hour or until tender.
    Sprinkle with chopped coriander and mint and stir in the yoghurt. Season to taste and add a good squeeze of lime juice. Serve with spiced breads, steamed basmati rice and lots and lots of cold beer.

Feel free to vary the curry by using diced chicken, prawns or paneer, or vegetables like Swiss chard, spinach, peas, cauliflower, fried aubergine, okra, boiled potatoes, chickpeas or lentils.

Enjoy!

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Why does it matter?
    Since you ask, yes, but not a practising one. I'm an agnostic but i like to study the history and stuff in general..
    As YAB has explained explained before, sheesh!

I make a good curry, but use All Spice instead of Garam Masala.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X