• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "For Campers, Cookers, Scimpers and Pyromaniacs"

Collapse

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    I saw a fold-up version of the hobo stove too, which would be easy to carry, but is like one of those things that burn solid fuel that I think the army use and not very efficient, fast, smokeless or clever. The Ikea stove was quite ingenious, but i saw a similar stainless steel cutlery rack in Poundland for £1.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Make Your Own Gear » Simple wood burning stove? -- BackpackingLight.com Forums

<wanders off to look for tins...>

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    Russia is not safe. They are planning to 'liquidate' a protest camp in Moscow this week.

so Our original plan of getting to Mocow via minsk and smolensk has been shelved,
    but the far North should be ok. we think.

In any event, even without Russia, it will be a hell of a trip.

has anyone here seen the maelstrom ?

Liquidate sounds more of a translation peculiarity to me, rather than a final solution for demonstrators. I picture Russia as basically a dishonest country populated by people carrying guns and where you have to bribe the police at every stop and risk getting disappeared by the Mafia. They seem to have a habit of knocking their own off in Britain when they feel like it too. But maybe it's okay.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Is Russia safe? Sounds like a long but fun drive.

A few sticks stored in the boot would heat up those beans nicely.
    Russia is not safe. They are planning to 'liquidate' a protest camp in Moscow this week.

so Our original plan of getting to Mocow via minsk and smolensk has been shelved,
    but the far North should be ok. we think.

In any event, even without Russia, it will be a hell of a trip.

has anyone here seen the maelstrom ?

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    yep.

then down to Italy.

The 'Top to Toe 2012' tour
    Is Russia safe? Sounds like a long but fun drive.

A few sticks stored in the boot would heat up those beans nicely.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    By car again?
    yep.

then down to Italy.

The 'Top to Toe 2012' tour

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    aye.
    Well, we will be up in the arctic circle in six weeks, then heading into Russia (from norway)

we will be taking six tins of baked beans.

and 48 cans of fozzies

By car again?

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    I used to avoid cooking while on holiday because of all the faffing about and inconvenience involved in buying fuel, carrying it around and making sure you don't run out, etc. My interest in cooking while on holiday has only piqued since I discovered these aforementioned things that run on a few sticks (or other combustibles to hand) and weighs less than half a pound and assembles in 3 seconds, in the case of the one I opted for. It also burns without smoke and the only reside is white ash left in the bottom of the stove, so is stealthy.
    aye.
    Well, we will be up in the arctic circle in six weeks, then heading into Russia (from norway)

we will be taking six tins of baked beans.

and 48 cans of fozzies

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Where I go involves quite a lengthy dip in the sea at least once a day and a shower as soon as possible after that to remove the sea salt, etc. Most camp sites, and many beaches, have showers too.
    Showers? You big fake.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Paradoxically, as I have gotten older, I have moved away from good cooked food, to light cold and convenient.

i.e. its better to carry a cold tin of ring pull baked beans

than a cooker, matches, bread, butter, bacon, fuel, washing up gear and a plate

even the missus is going the same way. we seem to be getting more savage as we get on, not less

strange
    I used to avoid cooking while on holiday because of all the faffing about and inconvenience involved in buying fuel, carrying it around and making sure you don't run out, etc. My interest in cooking while on holiday has only piqued since I discovered these aforementioned things that run on a few sticks (or other combustibles to hand) and weighs less than half a pound and assembles in 3 seconds, in the case of the one I opted for. It also burns without smoke and the only reside is white ash left in the bottom of the stove, so is stealthy.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Paradoxically, as I have gotten older, I have moved away from good cooked food, to light cold and convenient.

i.e. its better to carry a cold tin of ring pull baked beans

than a cooker, matches, bread, butter, bacon, fuel, washing up gear and a plate

even the missus is going the same way. we seem to be getting more savage as we get on, not less

strange

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    It's sealed, so I cant see a DIY solution.

I checked out 'paddy stove' and I was wrong - it is the 'Kelly Kettle' or 'Chimney Stove'

which TW had

I went for a "wood gas stove" (my second picture). It's efficient because it burns the gases released from sticks more efficiently than a regular fire. The wood gases take a second route through the stove and are burnt again, and pick up some speed in doing so too. Flames shoot out the top holes in that picture, like a gas oven in the home, as well as being burnt in the middle.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    I'm now looking up DIY rocket stoves.
    What EO says rings true about Arabs using them and they would presumably know a thing or too about a nomadic cooking using sparse fuel, apart from camel dung. But it's also possible they didn't happen to innovate the wood gas stove, which is what I went for. Think I saw a DIY rocket stove made out of a bent pipe or some such.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    It's sealed, so I cant see a DIY solution.

I checked out 'paddy stove' and I was wrong - it is the 'Kelly Kettle' or 'Chimney Stove'

which TW had

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X