• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "That's it I can't take this ****** weather anymore! How do I get a gig in Ausie?"

Collapse

• Pogle
    replied
    I always fancied moving to New Zealand, but I believe its over run with hobbits these days....

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    So EO, tell me, was it hot?
    goddmmit, it was.

one day it was so hot, all that was left of me was a puddle in me trainers

and when the missus poured me out

i evaporated.

this was in september - their winter. but God did I suffer

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    I walked for 3 miles up the river bed

it was hot hot hot

I nearly got burned alive up at Daaarwin

it was hot hot hot

hot

hotter

hot hot hot

So EO, tell me, was it hot?

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by redgiant View Post
    I used to have family in Alice. They had boat race on the Todd "River" there during the summer

I walked for 3 miles up the river bed

it was hot hot hot

I nearly got burned alive up at Daaarwin

it was hot hot hot

hot

hotter

hot hot hot

Leave a comment:

• redgiant
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    No way aussielong, Ive been to Alice Springs 4 times in 9 years. strewth, Im almost a regular in Beau Jangles

its hot hot hot
    I used to have family in Alice. They had boat race on the Todd "River" there during the summer

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Originally posted by aussielong View Post
    NO NO NO NO NO ... I am trying to give the OP a realistic idea of weather in places he would more than likely inhabit.

No point me telling him it gets to 40 degrees on average in Western Sydney because he more than likely will not live there. He will not live in any of these places you have quoted. I've only been to them once or twice in 10 years. I know many many poms in Sydney, I don't know a single one ... not one ... that lives in those suburbs you have listed. Nonetheless I quoted numbers that disprove your point, numbers which would be further discounted because the OP would likely live on the coast. My experience is consistent with these numbers. It does not get that hot here in Sydney. Rather than give out useless facts, i'm trying to give useful information to an IT bod who if he came to Oz, would more than likely end up in Sydney.

If an Aussie was planning on emigrating into the UK and asked you about house prices in Manchester, would you factor in the prices of houses in Moss Side?

Anyway, enjoy your rubbish weather. I'm off for a cold beer.
    A pom is more likely to move somewhere like New Town or Balmain, not Rose bay, Vaucluse and Coogee.

But my point stands, You are saying 8 days all year, yet you had 24 last year, you said 8 days, and the average is demonstrably 15 days, according to Australias own Met Office. I lived there from Summer 87 through to Autumn 90. I also lived there from Oct 2002 to May 2003. It was hot then too.

Your summer of 2008/2009 was ridiculously hot.

If an Australian said he'd want to live in Manchester, I'd think he'd also mean the surrounding area too, and suggest Didsbury, Chorlton and warn them about Wythenshawe. Lots of places in Sydney where Poms live. I know.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
    I tell you what son, you're f*cked when Admin finds out that you're Zoiderman in a skirt.
    Tiger is the new Son.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    No way aussielong, Ive been to Alice Springs 4 times in 9 years. strewth, Im almost a regular in Beau Jangles

its hot hot hot

Leave a comment:

• aussielong
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
    Don't start the ad hominem balls please.

I have outlined where I have issues with your posting

You have put an argument in place, which is a sample to a very small area in Sydney which happens to suit your argument. It's a guess of yours that people woudl live there. You said Summer lasted 6 months, not warm days, so now you're moving the goalposts. 3 years, plus a futher 8 months isn't limited experience. You seem simply to be someone who wants to be right all the time, hence the constantly narrowing geographical area, and changing goalposts.

You have had a strange year this year in Aus, maybe it's your long term memory thats having issues?

"An average of 14.6 days a year have temperatures of more than 30 °C (86.0 °F)."

Western suburbs:

1/1/09 to 17/1/09.
    Penrith - 5 days above 38C including 4 days above 40C.
    Blacktown - 5 days above 38C including 3 days above 40C.
    Richmond - 4 days above 38C including 1 day above 40C.
    Campbelltown - 5 days above 38C including 2 days above 40C.
    Parramatta - 4 days above 38C including 1 day above 40C.
    Liverpool - 4 days above 38C including 1 day above 40C.
    Camden - 5 days above 38C including 3 days above 40C.

Outer NSW
    Wilcania - 6 days above 38C including 4 above 40C.
    Pooncarie - 4 days above 38C and all 4 days it reached 40C (actually reached 45.8)
    Broken Hill - 4 days above 38C including 3 days above 40C.
    Walget - 7 days above 38C including 3 days above 40C.

Australia summer 2008/2009 (Dec to Feb in case you forget):

Location No of 37.8C days No of 40C days Av No of 40C days

Bendigo 11 9 1.3
    Echuca 15 10 2.7
    Horsham 12 9 2.8
    Melbourne 6 5 1.3
    Mildura 20 15 5.2
    Portland 2 Nil 0.3
    Sale 6 4 0.4
    Shepparton 11 10 2.2
    Swan Hill 19 14 7.9
    Wangaratta 16 10 1.7
    Warrnambool 4 3 1.3

NO NO NO NO NO ... I am trying to give the OP a realistic idea of weather in places he would more than likely inhabit.

No point me telling him it gets to 40 degrees on average in Western Sydney because he more than likely will not live there. He will not live in any of these places you have quoted. I've only been to them once or twice in 10 years. I know many many poms in Sydney, I don't know a single one ... not one ... that lives in those suburbs you have listed. Nonetheless I quoted numbers that disprove your point, numbers which would be further discounted because the OP would likely live on the coast. My experience is consistent with these numbers. It does not get that hot here in Sydney. Rather than give out useless facts, i'm trying to give useful information to an IT bod who if he came to Oz, would more than likely end up in Sydney.

If an Aussie was planning on emigrating into the UK and asked you about house prices in Manchester, would you factor in the prices of houses in Moss Side?

Anyway, enjoy your rubbish weather. I'm off for a cold beer.

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied

Sydney 2011 There were 24 days above 30 °C during the year, the highest since 2006, of which 5 reached 35 °C

Sydney has 15 "beach weather" days (over 30°C) Melbourne has twice as many.

7 successive days over 30ºC...

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Darwin ? dont get me staaarted.
    We was having a drink, and some possum climbed down the tree and took the wifes cherry. cheeky little blighter

and Sandfire ?? hot enough to boil a wombats bum.
    Mount magnet WA was my favourite though. nice place. but hot hot hot

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Originally posted by aussielong View Post
    Your point is weak, I want the OP to have a realistic idea.

Here, you can see that Sydney gets on average only 8 days a year over 30 degrees:

Most poms come to Sydney or Melbourne. Usually Sydney, since there is more work, certainly in IT. If a pom comes to Sydney, they (at first) want to live near the beach.

To show you what I mean by warm weather lasting 6 months,

Do you follow me? You are a typical know-it-all that is extrapolating from his limited experience of a few hot days one year to tell everyone how it all the time. Show me some numbers.
    Don't start the ad hominem balls please.

I have outlined where I have issues with your posting

You have put an argument in place, which is a sample to a very small area in Sydney which happens to suit your argument. It's a guess of yours that people woudl live there. You said Summer lasted 6 months, not warm days, so now you're moving the goalposts. 3 years, plus a futher 8 months isn't limited experience. You seem simply to be someone who wants to be right all the time, hence the constantly narrowing geographical area, and changing goalposts.

You have had a strange year this year in Aus, maybe it's your long term memory thats having issues?

"An average of 14.6 days a year have temperatures of more than 30 °C (86.0 °F)."

Western suburbs:

1/1/09 to 17/1/09.
    Penrith - 5 days above 38C including 4 days above 40C.
    Blacktown - 5 days above 38C including 3 days above 40C.
    Richmond - 4 days above 38C including 1 day above 40C.
    Campbelltown - 5 days above 38C including 2 days above 40C.
    Parramatta - 4 days above 38C including 1 day above 40C.
    Liverpool - 4 days above 38C including 1 day above 40C.
    Camden - 5 days above 38C including 3 days above 40C.

Outer NSW
    Wilcania - 6 days above 38C including 4 above 40C.
    Pooncarie - 4 days above 38C and all 4 days it reached 40C (actually reached 45.8)
    Broken Hill - 4 days above 38C including 3 days above 40C.
    Walget - 7 days above 38C including 3 days above 40C.

Australia summer 2008/2009 (Dec to Feb in case you forget):

Location No of 37.8C days No of 40C days Av No of 40C days

Bendigo 11 9 1.3
    Echuca 15 10 2.7
    Horsham 12 9 2.8
    Melbourne 6 5 1.3
    Mildura 20 15 5.2
    Portland 2 Nil 0.3
    Sale 6 4 0.4
    Shepparton 11 10 2.2
    Swan Hill 19 14 7.9
    Wangaratta 16 10 1.7
    Warrnambool 4 3 1.3

Leave a comment:

• aussielong
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
    Honestly, you said you're not interested in arguing with me, and I am in agreement; you just want to be right. Summer does not start in November, nor end in May.

Summer, from your very own weather site, is: December to February. 89 days.

As I said, 17 from 89 is not rarely, is it tiger?

I am agreeing with most of your sentiments. As a young man, without cares, nor family, I loved it. Was a great place to get laid, get drunk, and have fun. I also hate english winters, as they've become. However, if they got back to the ones in 2010 and 2011, they'd be much better, as it's the damp and grey I don't like, not the cold.

But to say it rarely gets above 30, isn't really the truth. That's all I am saying.

Your point is weak, I want the OP to have a realistic idea.

Here, you can see that Sydney gets on average only 8 days a year over 30 degrees: BoM - Sydney has 4th hottest summer on record - Bureau of Meteorology, Sydney, NSW, media release, climate

Most poms come to Sydney or Melbourne. Usually Sydney, since there is more work, certainly in IT. If a pom comes to Sydney, they (at first) want to live near the beach. Therefore, they will not be living in the hot areas that are out in the western suburbs where the true blue Aussies live.

The places you have worked are not where most people go and live. Certainly not IT workers. Darwin and Adeleide are places people check out for a weekend. Poms coming here do not tend to live in those spots. There is hardly any IT work.

To show you what I mean by warm weather lasting 6 months, here's another graph that shows the average maximum temp from Sept - May is over 20 degrees but less than 26 degrees. Weather, Temperatures, Climate, Rain & Rainfall for Sydney & NSW - sydney.com.au

Do you follow me? You are a typical know-it-all that is extrapolating from his limited experience of a few hot days one year to tell everyone how it is all the time. Show me some numbers.
    Last edited by aussielong; 16 May 2012, 12:02.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Oh for gods sake stop moaning and whingeing about the damned weather.

If it wasn't for the rain we'd be living in a dustbowl like most of the med and mid eastern countries.

I like our green and fertile land. Learn to live with it or move out. Nobody is forcing you to stay

Signed;

The anti Whining pussy whipped panty waister and serial moaning poster Brigade

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    What's the fascination with this guy?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X