• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: VIRUS: Caught One!

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "VIRUS: Caught One!"

Collapse

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Sure, textpad has more features than notepad. But I meant why would a company ban it, presumably for security reasons?

Maybe they're worried about bootleg copies floating around, which could have been hacked.
    They dont allow anything to be downloaded from outside. Maybe because textpad says it can only be used for evaluation purposes - IBs feel they have to buy it. And they wont pay for anything if they dont have to.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Sure, textpad has more features than notepad. But I meant why would a company ban it, presumably for security reasons?

Maybe they're worried about bootleg copies floating around, which could have been hacked.
    They probably
    1. don't want to shell out for it
    2. don't want bootleg copies of anything

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    THis is something I have pondered for a while as to how this can be done.

Unless the browser is actively reporting back ad blockage then I just cannot see how the server can reduce functionality.
    They promise it is all 100% passive, assume they simply check if the resources are being loaded from server or similar.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    sounds like ? how many syllables
    I know where he works, but I'm not telling

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied

BP, I think we must work for the same place. Starts with a J.
    sounds like ? how many syllables

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Whatever you personal preference is on a text editor is it in my weapons list for writing code. Something I cannot do without.

Ultraedit, textpad, notepad++

All banned.

BP, I think we must work for the same place. Starts with a J.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Lovin Notepad++ and PFE32
    Suity, you are an oasis of refinement in a sea of peasantry.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

I like the multi tab facility. And macros.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    No Notepad++ ? I'd be screwed.
    Lovin Notepad++ and PFE32

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Huh? What can textpad do (in a possibly compromising sense) that notepad can't?

I've got used to notepad, but the only annoying feature is the kerfuffle each time one tries to save a file containing non-ASCII characters. Why can't it have the option of simply switching to UTF-8 by default if necessary?
    I like the multi tab facility. And macros.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Even textpad is banned!

Trying to do stuff with notepad is a joke. Praise The Lord I am moving to a hedge fund.
    Huh? What can textpad do (in a possibly compromising sense) that notepad can't?

I've got used to notepad, but the only annoying feature is the kerfuffle each time one tries to save a file containing non-ASCII characters. Why can't it have the option of simply switching to UTF-8 by default if necessary?

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    I could sneek in a drop table to prod but they wont let me write it up on notepad++ on my desktop.
    No Notepad++ ? I'd be screwed.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    I could sneek in a drop table to prod but they wont let me write it up on notepad++ on my desktop.
    Even textpad is banned!

Trying to do stuff with notepad is a joke. Praise The Lord I am moving to a hedge fund.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Becoming common amongst IBs now.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    "we are going to pay you a shed load of money to write software but we cannot trust you with admin rights on your PC"

Becoming common amongst IBs now.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X