• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Remote desktop broadband requirements in UK"

Collapse

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Wasn't it Citrix? Who did what became Terminal Server.
    Supposedly not - Remote Desktop Protocol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My guess it was done by old skool people who knew about performance and realised it needs to be really fast over tulipy 33.6k modem connections.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    Don't they do that with everything decent that they bring out?
    Yes but usually they totally bloat code over and kill performance.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    20k to South Africa, lots of tea breaks but usable, 50K+ with no eye candy and it was no worse than 1MB to the states.

But as mentioned it aint 'real time'

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Aye, it's suprisingly efficient product for Microsoft... probably bought some company who did the work.
    Wasn't it Citrix? Who did what became Terminal Server.

Depends what you're doing of course. Notepad, works great. Testing real time graphics and video processing applications, not so much.

Leave a comment:

• Scoobos
    replied
    I think the opposite tbh, bought in is crap - in house is great

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Aye, it's suprisingly efficient product for Microsoft... probably bought some company who did the work.
    Don't they do that with everything decent that they bring out?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    RDP on anything over 2MB and it is as if your at the machine.....

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    I used RDP over 56k modem, slow but works - 1 Mbit+ should do the trick, ideally with latency below 50 ms.

A lot of GUI "eye candy" can be turned off for RDP session or altogether on remote computer.
    RDP on anything over 2MB and it is as if your at the machine.....

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I used RDP over 56k modem, slow but works - 1 Mbit+ should do the trick, ideally with latency below 50 ms.

A lot of GUI "eye candy" can be turned off for RDP session or altogether on remote computer.

Leave a comment:

• doomage
    replied
    Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
    Doomage ->

No, and if you're with Virgin media , using their "SuperHub" I bet you don't either (in peak hours). Unless you're super lucky and one of the golden few who do get the 100MB.

According to OFCOM, you only need 20% of whats advertised during peak hours and its ok.
    Fair enough.

Doesn't everyone have upwards of 80MB cable?

Leave a comment:

• aussielong
    replied
    Thanks, i've decided to go with a serviced office. Cheap and gets me away from the relatives for a bit each day.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    When we were looking at offshoring at a former employer, we tested what connection would let them access our PCs adequately (we wanted to keep the work and test kit on-site). I seem to remember we got down to 64Kb but that was with VNC rather than RDP.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
    According to OFCOM, you only need 20% of whats advertised during peak hours and its ok.
    That's laughable.

If I get less than the advertised speed at any time of the day it's usually because the server at the other end is slow.

Of course I'm not in the UK.

Leave a comment:

• Scoobos
    replied
    Doomage ->

No, and if you're with Virgin media , using their "SuperHub" I bet you don't either (in peak hours). Unless you're super lucky and one of the golden few who do get the 100MB.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Remote Desktop is actually quite good with regards to connection needs.
    I've had good experiences even when on a not so good mobile connection.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X