• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Moving a heating oil tank"

Collapse

• pacharan
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Because that motivated DIYer is pacharan and every post of his demonstrates and confirms his gross *****ness and total incompetence.
    Oh, shut up you great nana head!

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Originally posted by pacharan View Post
    Just to report that the job's a good ' un.

Original quote from local oil co. to supply and install new tank :£3800.

Pacha's solution:

Concrete base: £60
    Building regs: £100
    Tank from eBay: £120
    Van hire: £80
    Pipe and fittings: £25
    Disposal of old tank: £0 (bloke who delivered my Cotswold path gravel took it off my hands)

Total: £385
    Goon on ya. What's the point in paying for something you can do yourself.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Why would you expect a plumber (or Plummer) would be more fastidious checking for leaks than a motivated DIYer?
    Because that motivated DIYer is pacharan and every post of his demonstrates and confirms his gross *****ness and total incompetence.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Slow Oil leak over winter 2012/13 destroying back garden. Priceless.
    That reminds me of a headline in my local paper a few years ago.

Watch out! Oil thieves about!

A couple of weeks later came the bitter truth. The tank had sprung a leak.

The oil lost wasn't cheap either. It was a tank for a block of flats.

Twice.

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied

Pacha's solution:

Disposal of old tank: £0 (bloke who delivered my Cotswold path gravel took it off my hands)

Thanks, that made me well up.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Why would you expect a plumber (or Plummer) would be more fastidious checking for leaks than a motivated DIYer?

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied

Pacha's solution:

Leave a comment:

• pacharan
    replied

Pacha's solution:

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    Have you tried bleeding it ? Usually does the job it does.

Leave a comment:

• al_cam
    replied
    My oil pipe is 8 or 10mm (can't remember which) plastic coated copper pipe - the same stuff that is used in central heating pipes. You can get pipe and connectors (as sockpuppet said, compression) from B&Q. It is good practice to also run the plastic coated pipe through another pipe and bed it in sand so nothing can get punctured.
    Remember to lay warning tape above the pipe so that anyone digging in the future won't accidentally dig up the pipe.
    Oh- and take the opportunity to clean the silt out your tank and fit a new filter.

and, this work probably legally requires doing by someone qualified and may also require buiding control approval so be careful...

I really should look into that handyman plan B.

Al.

Leave a comment:

• pacharan
    replied
    Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    I am not a plummer but several questions need answers.

Do you know the diameter of the pipe?
    Does the tank have a turn off valve?
    Is the tank empty?
    Are you a plummer?

If you answer NO to any of the above questions, no chance.

HTH
    Yes,yes,yes, no

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
    It will have a thread on it just buy a fitting of the same size, ideally speak to a engineering shop and get the appropriate size thread made up on two ends of the same bit of tube.

Edit: What you're looking for if you don't have a thread is something called a compression fitting.
    the existing pipe is threaded at the end (where it connects to the filter on the old tank). Don't have the new pipe yet but I'm guessing there will be no thread.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
    It will have a thread on it just buy a fitting of the same size, ideally speak to a engineering shop and get the appropriate size thread made up on two ends of the same bit of tube.

Edit: What you're looking for if you don't have a thread is something called a compression fitting.
    Yes and AP is looking for a dictionary. HTH.

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    I am not a plummer but several questions need answers.

Do you know the diameter of the pipe?
    Does the tank have a turn off valve?
    Is the tank empty?
    Are you a plummer?

If you answer NO to any of the above questions, no chance.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• pacharan
    started a topic Moving a heating oil tank

Moving a heating oil tank

In the process of moving my oil tank to a different location & have run into a spot of bother. The oil pipe - I don't want to replace the existing one as it will involve digging up a load of concrete. I just want to extend it.

Is there an easy way to do this? Must be some kind of fitting out there that can connect 2 lengths of oil pipe. Have googled this but no joy.

Working...
X