• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Letter from HMRC

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Letter from HMRC"

Collapse

• wim121
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Send them a cheque for 1p. That'll probably throw them off the scent for years!
    Hahahaha I love this.

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    Funnily enough I was going to mention that.

I still get letters from HMRC regarding a job years back. Ive explained to them many times that I havent worked there in years and now live at the other end of the country, they dont take any notice.

Just tell them to fook off. Dirty little sods.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Well... clearly they do listen to me.
    Can you ring them up for me then?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    They don't listen to you.
    Well... clearly they do listen to me.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Call them up, resist the temptation to tell the to **** off, and explain that you have no uk assets, no uk derived income, and therefore have no tax liability whatsoever. That's what I did and haven't received a tax return in years.
    They don't listen to you.

It seems they just automatically send the paperwork out irrespective of what you have sent them.

My accountant closed my company and did all necessary submissions but despite the submissions being accepted P35 sorted, they still maintained I have to submit my PAYE for a period when the company was dissolved! FFS!

Also after all that they finally accept that the company is dissolved etc, etc.. they then claim my accountant in the UK ( for the last 7 years) is not authorised to submit my online filing for me and they have no record of any authorisation!

I got another letter a few weeks back saying I still needed to submit my P35, which was submitted and accepted 2 months ago.

I really despair.

As I was living in the UK for the first half of the year, I'll still have to do the SA this year ( they didn't bother sending me a form with the letter).

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Looks you're not the only one.

HMRC sends out 12,000 tax fine letters in error | Money | guardian.co.uk

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Send them a cheque for 1p. That'll probably throw them off the scent for years!

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Call the number, and sort it out. Putting 0's in is more likely to draw attention yourself as that might get flagged as being unusual, which might trigger an investigation. If you call the "bird" in admin she's more likely to deal with your P85 in a routine manner.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 27 April 2012, 11:41.

Leave a comment:

• BigTime
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
    They have included an insert with a phone number to call if I think that I don't have to do a self-assessment return.

I was tempted to call them but then there is always a voice inside my head saying
    I think you're being overly cautious but your call

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Call them up, resist the temptation to tell the to **** off, and explain that you have no uk assets, no uk derived income, and therefore have no tax liability whatsoever. That's what I did and haven't received a tax return in years.
    They have included an insert with a phone number to call if I think that I don't have to do a self-assessment return.

I was tempted to call them but then there is always a voice inside my head saying

You don't want to draw any attention to yourself until six years have passed safely by.

Leave a comment:

• BigTime
    replied
    +1. If you keep filling it in the computer will probably keep sending them.

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by BigTime View Post
    Did you fill in the P-whatever to let them know you've left the country? Are they sending this to a foreign address? An email/call will probably get them to get over it.
    Form P85 - yes, did that at the time.

Yes, they are sending the tax return to an overseas address.

At least they have included the residence pages in the form that they send me (they did that last year too).

They will get the form back with a whole load of zeros on it.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Bloody tax exiles.

Leave a comment:

• BigTime
    replied
    Did you fill in the P-whatever to let them know you've left the country? Are they sending this to a foreign address? An email/call will probably get them to get over it.

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    started a topic Letter from HMRC

Letter from HMRC

Mr Gonzo

This notice requires you, by law, to make a return of your taxable income and capital gains, and any documents requested, for the year from 6 April 2011 to 5 April 2012.
    FFS

I have been out of the UK for three complete tax years and not set foot in the UK once in that time. I have no income that is taxable in the UK. My limited company was dissolved yonks ago.

I owe zero to HMRC, unless I don't return the damn form by the end of October in which case they will charge me 100 quid.

Working...
X