• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Oz here I come!

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Oz here I come!"

Collapse

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Fronttoback View Post
    Au contraire DP. There is a class system in Australia but it's based on money - exactly how it should be. Meritocratic.
    We have already established that Australia is a polechokocracy.

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Biggest killer in Australia isn't a spider, a snake or a shark. It's horses.
    Yeah, don't mess with those crazy horses....

Leave a comment:

• teapot418
    replied
    Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
    and with countless venomous critters.....
    Which could be why we never heard from janey again

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by europetractor View Post
    Are you gonna be flying over the middle east ? If you are good luck with that.

Also, what jobboard / what skill ?
    You might want to check the date of the original post...

Leave a comment:

• europetractor
    replied
    Originally posted by janey View Post
    just received a positive result from my Australia skills assessment!

wahoo
    Are you gonna be flying over the middle east ? If you are good luck with that.

Also, what jobboard / what skill ?

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Au contraire DP. There is a class system in Australia but it's based on money - exactly how it should be. Meritocratic.
    That's a plutocracy, not a meritocracy. The slightest examination of any human society will immediately show that the distribution of wealth is not correlated with merit, unless the latter is vacuously defined as "wealth"

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    I must tell you something of the pain.

The pain attacks your body at a speed that is so fast it cannot be measured. Already your lungs are paralyzed and your stomach is turned upside down. Simultaneously your tongue is trapped and quickly dries out, while your jaw slams shut and your eyes squeeze tight. Your ears go deaf. Your muscles tense in an attempt to combat the pain; then they release succumbing to its awesome power.
    Since I put Scooterscot on ignore this has stopped thankfully...

Leave a comment:

• Big Blue Plymouth
    replied
    You still wouldn't get me swimming in the sea there.

In Queensland, they have the deadly box jellyfish which, apparently, has the most agonisingly painful venom of all.

I must tell you something of the pain.

The pain attacks your body at a speed that is so fast it cannot be measured. Already your lungs are paralyzed and your stomach is turned upside down. Simultaneously your tongue is trapped and quickly dries out, while your jaw slams shut and your eyes squeeze tight. Your ears go deaf. Your muscles tense in an attempt to combat the pain; then they release succumbing to its awesome power.
    Feck that....

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Even the horses are venomous?

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post

Leave a comment:

• Fronttoback
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Australia seems like one giant rough council estate with searing heat and sunshine to me...

Leave a comment:

• Big Blue Plymouth
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Australia seems like one giant rough council estate with searing heat and sunshine to me...

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Big Blue Plymouth
    replied
    Most people cannot implement a successful migration.

You have to fully integrate, which means you have to give up part of yourself.

It benefits your children perhaps, but you lose.

It's for the aspirational working class.
    Ironically, I've never had a problem integrating when I've worked in Spain and Italy but I think I would if I went to Australia.

That may be unfair, though, as I'm sure it's not really full of the boorish types I met whilst travelling around the States 25 years ago.

Leave a comment:

• Fronttoback
    replied
    Most people cannot implement a successful migration.

You have to fully integrate, which means you have to give up part of yourself.

It benefits your children perhaps, but you lose.

It's for the aspirational working class.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X