• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Anyone here ever been audited ?"

Collapse

• Diver
    replied
    Questions to ask the auditors
    1. What internal controls are in place within your own organisation to prevent an employee passing commercially sensitive information over to our competitors?
    4. Are you aware of any forms of compensation or benefits received by your organization's auditors, directors, or key employees that were not specifically approved by your board of directors that may indicate collusion with one of our competitors?
    5. Are you aware of any inappropriate or undisclosed relationships between any of your company’s officers, directors, key employees?
    6. Are you aware of any relationships between any of your companies officers, directors, key employees involved with this audit that appear to be less than ethical.
    7. Are you aware of any relationships between any of your companies officers, directors, key employees involved with this audit and any employees of our competitors that appear to be less than ethical?
    8. Are there any individuals involved in the auditing process who wield excessive control or whose work is not subject to adequate review by another individual?
    9. How would you characterize the morale standards and professionalism of the auditing personnel and senior management of your organization?
    10. Overall, how would you rate your organization in terms of how well we are protected against fraud?
    11. What is the most important step we could take to further protect our organization against fraud?
    12. What controls are in place to prevent you from overbilling our organisation?

Don't forget to inform them that their responses are being recorded for security reasons

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    by KP MG , on development and release procedures

I have a month to get prepared
    My entire project was audited by another large well-known management consultancy. The directors of the IB I was working for gave me 14 days to prepare. Came completely out of the blue.

Anyway, I wrote a 30 page report on the system and all the checkpoints it had been subjected to in painstaking detail. Final page was a bit rough, as I was running out of time, just made it a simple bullet-list of items that would be covered in the future.

Auditors came in for two days on-site and were a bit overwhelmed by the whole system, TBH. Gave them my report and they went away.

A month later, IB's directors call me in to seen a excellent report written by the Auditors, painstakingly detailed. You can guess the rest: It was my report verbatim, with the management consultancies cover page attached to it. The buggers hadn't lifted a damn finger. I even pointed out the very rough nature of the last page, as I'd run out of time - the auditors had been too lazy to even clean that up. Utter piss-take of the highest order.

The auditors charged the IB about £30k for their time. Nice work if I could get it.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    frequently, SOX once a year, BSI every so often.

Agree with above posters if you have a process and you can prove you follow it and more importantly you didn't create it then YOU are ok.

Quite likely they are after consult hours so keep stchum about any variations or improvements you would like to make.

Don't volunteer anything except to throw them off the scent if they sniff something bad.

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    thanks folks

I am working for a sw house as lead dev, and its them that are being audited by a big client, using external auditors.
    I am following the sw house process and procedures, which may or may not satisfy the audit

will they be looking at documentation, or the apps ? or both
    code review ? versioning, data takeup

what level of detail?

In that case mate, you're sorted!

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    thanks folks

I am working for a sw house as lead dev, and its them that are being audited by a big client, using external auditors.
    I am following the sw house process and procedures, which may or may not satisfy the audit

will they be looking at documentation, or the apps ? or both
    code review ? versioning, data takeup

what level of detail?

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
    Oi Fatso, it's "hanged".
    You maybe hanging, but I'm definitely hung.

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    No EO? I hope he's OK? Another ex-colleague hung himself in the wardrobe with an orange in his mouth when he'd heard he was being auditted.
    Oi Fatso, it's "hanged".

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    No EO? I hope he's OK? Another ex-colleague hung himself in the wardrobe with an orange in his mouth when he'd heard he was being auditted.

Leave a comment:

• alluvial
    replied
    I had to explain the reconcilliation process and associated jobs for a load of finance feeds to a pretty young auditor once.
    Everything went well, I took her through all the different steps and explained all the jobs and she left satisfied that all was as it should be.
    As she left the office, I asked my boss "Do you think I should have told her about the job that checks the files and adds in a transaction if it doesn't balance?" He looked troubled for a bit, "Best not" he replied.

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied

I have a month to get prepared
    They'll come in, rubbish however you are doing it and then use this to try and sell some of their own people in to do it 'properly' and 'professionally'. I would put money it. I bet they will even throw in the audit activity for free as part of the overall pitch.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I regularly get audited.

HTH

Tom C. (former fighter pilot).

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Before the audit
    Go through all your procedures and make sure they're not missing anything
    Make sure that the written procedures and what actually is done are the same - or at least there's no evidence of violation
    Find any violations of procedures and fix them (or bury them under the patio)
    If there any explainable anomalies - record the explanation and keep it to hand.

During the audit
    Never volunteer information.
    If asked questions that you cannot answer immediately, tell them you'll get back to them on it.
    If a question needs some investigation, do it when they're not in the room.

After the audit
    Go through the findings and challenge where necessary.
    Post Audit
    Don't bend down for the soap.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied

I have a month to find a new contract
    You know it makes sense

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Not All There is correct. If there is one bit of advice that you MUST stick to it's;

Never, ever, ever volunteer information.

Leave a comment:

• amcdonald
    replied
    Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
    yes, don't sweat it - most of them are clueless and following a prescriptive outdated mandate IMO.

Do your research on what they are there to audit and what they will be looking for - but in my experience of audits from KPMG (on release management and security) they'll always find something to mark as "needs improvement" ; otherwise they aren't selling their auditing services as having any value.

Cards on the table, I HATE AUDITORS ...... It's easy to tell people how to do things "by the book" and properly, when you have no real life implementation skills of doing it at all.
    External auditors, been there and really it was that bad. It was a scam and glad I moved into IT

Internal auditors can be useful though

When I did it I warned of lax security that could lead to fraud, and when someone was found to be defrauding the organisation was tried to be implicated as a whistle blower

I managed it when I was younger, and found a lot of business processes that were outdated and/or pointless

Now I'd be too cynical to do it, but then I genuinely thought I was helping the organisation

Leave a comment:

Working...
X