• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Has anybody been to Pompeii?"

Collapse

• mudskipper
    replied
    Personally thought Vesuvius was a bit boring. Certainly not worth paying a tour company to take you there - might be worth a trip on the railway if you've nothing better to be doing.

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    Been to Pompeii and it was amazing. Go up Vesuvio as well - just hope he doesn't decide to sneeze while you're up there

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    senorita, so does I, just not the driving skills
    WEO said

They also have an amusing way of letting you know that they want to overtake you whilst you are in front of them in the fast lane, by putting their right indicator on and tailgaiting you and flashing you repeatedly.

I found it amusing to lightly touch the brakes and watch them go flying against the dashboard

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    I thought the Italians drove badly till I went to Egypt.
    I thought the Egyptians drove badly till I went to India.

The Italians are pussycats.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    I love the italians

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Driving up past rome on the motorway, it was nose to tail in all lanes doing 70.
    I left a gap in front and the gits behind were honking and flashing their lights

they wernt going anywhere, maybe 40 feet closer to the destination.

then the red lights came on up front so I braked and stopped with an inch to spare. next thing there were millions of eyties running around waving their arms about and fighting. No one seriously injured but the must have been half a dozen fender benders
    eejits

I love the italians

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Driving up past rome on the motorway, it was nose to tail in all lanes doing 70.
    I left a gap in front and the gits behind were honking and flashing their lights

they wernt going anywhere, maybe 40 feet closer to the destination.

then the red lights came on up front so I braked and stopped with an inch to spare. next thing there were millions of eyties running around waving their arms about and fighting. No one seriously injured but the must have been half a dozen fender benders
    eejits

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    They're nuts in the North too - recently we drove from Turin into France. Seemingly, the white lines in the middle of the road are only there as a guide, and signs clearly indicate the minimum speed to travel. Nutters. Almost as bad as the Maltese.
    Not good for driving at night either. Lots of cars have wonky headlights which can blind you when coming in the opposite direction (this was a few years back).

Edit:

I thoroughly enjoyed Venice many years ago.
    Last edited by Sysman; 25 April 2012, 12:01.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Yeh, but way back in my hitchhiking days in the 70s. Was pretty impressive even then.

Leave a comment:

• petergriffin
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    Thinking about where to go in the summer
    By the time you go there it might have already collapsed, so hurry!

Leave a comment:

• the_rangdo
    replied
    Originally posted by swamp View Post
    Do the Colosseum as a tour (to skip queue) with the Palentine Hill too. Get an English guide if you can.
    Couple of years ago in Rome we just picked our Colosseum tickets up over the road at the forum, practically no queue there but hoooooj at the Colosseum.

Pompeii was quite a few years (10?) ago for us but agree, amazing place. Really took our time, spent most of 1 day on Pompeii then another on Herculaneum.

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    If you are driving, the further south you go the worse the driving gets, in the south they are nutters and the Amalfi coast drive is as dangerous as it is beautiful, the worst thing is meeting a tour bus on narrow coastal corner and the bus is hogging the road.
    They're nuts in the North too - recently we drove from Turin into France. Seemingly, the white lines in the middle of the road are only there as a guide, and signs clearly indicate the minimum speed to travel. Nutters. Almost as bad as the Maltese.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Limoncello - €6 Euro per litre duty free on way back from Rome, £27 per litre at Waitrose.

If you like that sort of thing and if you've not tried it before you'll love mirto di sardegna.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    mmmmmmm Limoncello
    Very nice. Luckily bought a big bottle

Might try this at the weekend. Limoncello tart with raspberry sauce: Recipes: Good Food Channel

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
    Thanks to this thread, remembered I had an unopened bottle of Sorrento Limoncello. The situation has now been remedied.
    mmmmmmm Limoncello

Leave a comment:

Working...
X