• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Marry yer cousins for N generations."

Collapse

• Zoiderman
    replied
    Originally posted by Zoiderman
    Interstingly, there's a book regarding inbreeding, called Inbreeding, Incest, and the Incest Taboo which recently came to state Scotland had a huge issue with Inbreeding in which close cousin marriage was proscribed on religious grounds by the Roman Catholic Church.

Interesting really, but I guess no surprise...
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Does make you wonder just what sort of person might read such a book, far less find it interesting.
    Nowt as queer as folk as they say.

Q.E.D. You see, its posts like this that highlight the case, for as you can see, there is no where it suggests I read the book does it.

Dear dear, too fast on the trigger there weren't you. I guess you were so excited, you actually forgot to read what I posted.

Very illuminating. Catholic you say?

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    So, all in all, it's not a terribly good idea.
    Not unless you want to end up like the Labrador or Dalmatian with nasty inbred problems... And having seen some of the "uncle-bother-cousin" throw backs at the school gates It's starting to be more of a case that only their own family would touch em...

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Webbed feet?
    Dunno, never saw any of 'em without their boots on.

Which was nothing out of the ornery when we lived with horizontal rain,

But given the weather in them thar hills, webbed feet could have been considered an evolutionary advantage.

Never thought of it that way before.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    There are quite a few insular, exclusive groups (where arranged marriages are common) that this relates to.
    No I'm not marrying you Cojak, I don't care if you can bring pressure to bear as a moderator

Besides, I'm already spoken for and Sasguru would be upset.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post

Closer to home, the local farms in one Yorkshire village I lived in were dominated by one family who had over the generations "kept it in the family" to keep hold of the land. There was nothing obviously odd with any of them, but you never needed to ask what their surname was, you could tell by their looks.
    Same reason it happens in Arab countries as well. The article misses out the fact in Saudi Arabia first cousin marriages are thought to be the highest.

I ended up finding out all this stuff as a teenager as one of my mates was from a Pakistani background with relatives who lived in Saudi. Her oldest sister was given the "privilege" of marrying a Saudi more distant cousin. Though he unfortunately wasn't distant enough for their two children. (I think they were 3rd cousins.)

Strangely all the younger children in the family including my mate refused to be hitched to any relation after that.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Sands of Time View Post
    I thought that practice was reserved for European royality?
    I watched a documentary on German artists last year and they covered the Hapsburg family portraits. That lot ended up so inbred that some of them couldn't even walk properly.

Closer to home, the local farms in one Yorkshire village I lived in were dominated by one family who had over the generations "kept it in the family" to keep hold of the land. There was nothing obviously odd with any of them, but you never needed to ask what their surname was, you could tell by their looks.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
    Prevalent amongst certain groups within major centres of Asian population in the UK.

It's causing sh!tloads of problems for the NHS.

Obligatory Daily Mail Linky
    A maternity nurse I once met told me she had worked in an Arab country and every time a misformed baby was born she asked the mother who she had married. The answer was usually "Uncle" or "Cousin".

That kind of revelation is not one you easily forget.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Does make you wonder just what sort of person might read such a book, far less find it interesting.

I've read weirder books than that

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by up4it View Post
    If my cousin was a babe then I would go for it! :-)

There is suppose to be some inbuilt mechanism to stop you going for anyone who you grew up very closely with which could include cousins but definitely includes siblings.

Which is why you get cases like this German one if siblings are separated.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Zoiderman View Post
    Interstingly, there's a book regarding inbreeding, called Inbreeding, Incest, and the Incest Taboo which recently came to state Scotland had a huge issue with Inbreeding in which close cousin marriage was proscribed on religious grounds by the Roman Catholic Church.

Leave a comment:

• up4it
    replied
    If my cousin was a babe then I would go for it! :-)

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    'This here is ma wife and ma sister' - But there is only one person....

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    not surprising down here one of the class years at the local school is populated by no more that 10 families for 30 kids !! they are nearly all related some how...
    I think this is common in poor/deprived areas where families don't move around, especially with so many single-parent families as the parents split up and hook up with new people, or cheat, all in the same small area. My wife and other teachers in the NE have joked that a family tree at their schools would be a horrific tangle.

Leave a comment:

• Zoiderman
    replied

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    I saw that on the Wiki too:
    There are quite a few insular, exclusive groups (where arranged marriages are common) that this relates to.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X