• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Bobs with Security Clearance"

Collapse

• amcdonald
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    I imagine it's really quite simple in practice - If the Bobs don't get security clearance, or if the UK authorities questioned some Indian vetting authority's decision, investigated and made on the UK's behalf, then India wouldn't buy so many, or any, planes and arms etc from the UK.
    So how about keeping a uk residence, but get one in India with an Indian branch of your company and bob yourself to get clearance

As an ICT you're bound to get clearance, but change your name by deedpoll to Bob Shawadiwadi or somesuch first

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by pacharan View Post
    Mate of mine works for a well known aerospace company and he was telling me that they have Indian Contractors with SC.

These guys are recent arrivals too plus the fact they are operating in their own right and not farmed out via some consultancy.

How many rules have been bent here I wonder?

I personally don't have SC and as a result rarely get considered for anything in the defence sector. I also know a couple of people who have failed SC for the most pernicketty reasons - one of them for being bound over to keep the piece for a year after some rugger hi jinx when he was 17.

So HTF do they clear someone who has spent their entire life on the other side of the world about whom we know nothing?
    I imagine it's really quite simple in practice - If the Bobs don't get security clearance, or if the UK authorities questioned some Indian vetting authority's decision, investigated and made on the UK's behalf, then India wouldn't buy so many, or any, planes and arms etc from the UK.

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Originally posted by pacharan View Post
    This was for a police project.

They didn't specify the exact incident but they did allude to the fact it was some misdemeanor in his youth.
    Ahh so you made that bit up then, eh?

Oh and btw, youthful high-jinks won't necessarily prevent you from becoming a Police Officer, working with the Police, obtaining SC, DV, CTC etc.

Not owning up will though!

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    [QUOTE=Paddy;1523965]
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    There's also a three or five year UK residency requirement...

QUOTE]

Not really

Yes really, The non-normally position is where you have been resident in a UK-managed area such as a military base or in some terrirtory that is under British control. I don't think the sub-continent qualifies.

There are always exceptions though, which is why this should be queried with TPTB, assumiong the whole thing is real.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post

Oh, and writing to the Vetting Agency wont help either.
    No. Perhaps that's why I gave the Cabinet Office address earlier...

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Here we go again! Everyone knows its a fix.

Agents take the piss (Yes, and that includes you Phil!). I was recently taken on a project that required CTC clearance. I didnt have it. Client didnt mind. They said OK, you just cant work on the sensitive stuff and see 'live' data until clearance comes through.

As I said, Agents (Phil) take the piss with all this 'Dont apply if you havent got SC.'

Oh, and writing to the Vetting Agency wont help either.

Leave a comment:

• mrdonuts
    replied
    Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
    What does that make me, being an British born Indian? I have issues with Indians coming into this country and taking jobs that can easily be done by British Nationals, even at SC & DV Clearance levels.
    it makes you a British born Indian who has issues with Indians coming into this country and taking jobs that can easily be done by British Nationals, even at SC & DV

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    I cant get SC since I married Olga. I think it's because her passport has 'Olga Putin - Official Russian espionage agent' as her name and occupation.

I still love her though. even though she keeps spying on me

Leave a comment:

• Scoobos
    replied

@pacharan - if you're really worried about this, or your mate is, and you have some proper evidence of it, write to the relevant Cabinet Office department at [email protected] and ask their opinion. But be prepared not to get a quick reply and be very sure your facts are straight.

This is what I was going to question - having been called about SC roles, as soon as they discover I haven't been in the UK for the last 5 years they tell me its too dicey whether I'll get clearance so they wont take the gamble.

Given that they are calling me and I'm not applying - I don't really believe that the "normally" means that they make exceptions..

(I'm a UK citizen, I've just ran overseas in the past to avoid the 2005, 2008-2010 recessions).
    Last edited by Scoobos; 12 April 2012, 12:04.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    [QUOTE=malvolio;1523901]There's also a three or five year UK residency requirement...

QUOTE]

Not really

You do not have to be a British National in order to gain Security Clearance, but you will have to meet the following criteria depending on the level of clearance required.

Security Check (SC)........ To gain (SC) clearance you will normally have had to have been a resident in the UK for a minimum of 5 years.

Leave a comment:

• pacharan
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    However, looking at the OP, the thread was created by that muppet Pacharan just to incite some hatred and gain rep points. His strategy is to generate threads that pander to the issues that CUK posters hate passionately. Neg rep has been duly issued to him now.

HTH
    Now what exactly in that post is likely to incite hatred?

I am merely relating something, albeit anecdotal, that a friend of mine told me regarding the SC status of Indian nationals at his place of work.

Have I said anything disparaging about Indian nationals? Have I said anything likely to promote intolerance or violence against Indian nationals?

It may just interest you to know that I have just got off a phonecall from an agent to whom I recommended the services of an Indian national. He's a nice bloke and he does a good job. He deserves to find a new gig.

My concern is that this SC issue I've highlighted suggests that its not a level playing field out there.

Of course, you're just one of those dicks who love to show a bit of faux indignation and point the finger when you think you've heard something, no matter how tenuous, that may be construed as being racist.

Then you go away and give yourself a big pat on the back and tell yourself what a cool tolerant person you are. From my experience, its the squealing types like you who are the real racists.

Overcompensating for something?

You really are a prize cok 'ed.

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Originally posted by yetanotherbob View Post
    That's what I was told when I had been in the country less than 5 years. That to get SC one needs to have been a resident in the UK at least 5 years.
    So the fact that the fresh off the boat bobs got full SC is surprising (and worrying).
    I doubt that they would have full SC Clearance unless they have British / UK passports, as without this they will not be able to see UK Eyes Only / Country sensitive (i.e. information relating to the SC Holders Home country) information. If they don't have UK passports, they would have a restriction on their clearance. If that isn't the case in this instance, and you have proof, I would take it up with the DVA (or whoever does the clearance these days).

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    Its a perfectly valid and debatable issue here on CUK and on a country wide jobs wise. However, looking at the OP, the thread was created by that muppet Pacharan just to incite some hatred and gain rep points. His strategy is to generate threads that pander to the issues that CUK posters hate passionately. Neg rep has been duly issued to him now.

HTH
    I admit that I don't know much about the OP, so can't really take a view on whether the OP is a racist or not. But I will keep an eye on what the OP says from now on to see whether it is consistent with what you are saying. But I did take some offence to the BNP reference who I deplore with an absolute passion, but at the same time have an issue with overseas IT bods coming into this country on the cheap and taking on jobs that can be done by home grown talent.

Leave a comment:

• yetanotherbob
    replied
    That's what I was told when I had been in the country less than 5 years. That to get SC one needs to have been a resident in the UK at least 5 years.
    So the fact that the fresh off the boat bobs got full SC is surprising (and worrying).

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
    What does that make me, being an British born Indian? I have issues with Indians coming into this country and taking jobs that can easily be done by British Nationals, even at SC & DV Clearance levels.

Its a perfectly valid and debatable issue here on CUK and on a country wide jobs wise. However, looking at the OP, the thread was created by that muppet Pacharan just to incite some hatred and gain rep points. His strategy is to generate threads that pander to the issues that CUK posters hate passionately. Neg rep has been duly issued to him now.

HTH

Leave a comment:

Working...
X