• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Nutter of the week

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Nutter of the week"

Collapse

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    There we go, the next trick - jump out of a plane in a wingsuit which turns into an inflatable dingy
    It would be interesting to know what, if anything, he plans to do next.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Though come to think of it planes land on water too.

Come to think of it #2. Water skiers presumably could manage a 2 m jump at 50 mph too.
    There we go, the next trick - jump out of a plane in a wingsuit which turns into an inflatable dingy

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by Alf W View Post
    Headcam view from the chap who followed him out. I still can't believe he survived this (or was even allowed to try it).

Head-cam footage shows danger of stuntman's jump - ITV News
    Pretty amazing! Makes my hands sweat just looking at it.

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Balls of steel.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Alf W View Post
    Headcam view from the chap who followed him out. I still can't believe he survived this (or was even allowed to try it).

It's amazing to watch realising that those changes to the flight path are man-made, with no rigid control surfaces and unpowered.

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    I think boxes are easier to land on than water, because they absorb a lot of energy when they crumble. Water by contrast acts like a non-Newtonian fluid at speed, getting harder than we are used to seeing it behave normally.
    Though come to think of it planes land on water too.

Come to think of it #2. Water skiers presumably could manage a 2 m jump at 50 mph too.
    Last edited by TimberWolf; 23 May 2012, 16:06.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Hence skimming it rather than diving in. Dunno.

I always thought landing on boxes could hurt - they're very strong at the edges so what if you catch one wrong?!
    I think boxes are easier to land on than water, because they absorb a lot of energy when they crumble. Water by contrast acts like a non-Newtonian fluid at speed, getting harder than we are used to seeing it behave normally.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied

I always thought landing on boxes could hurt - they're very strong at the edges so what if you catch one wrong?!
    His forward speed is ~50 mph and his vertical 15 mph IIRC (the latter equivalent to falling from a height of 2.2m). So I imagine if the surface was smooth and he had skis and positioned them exactly right, it might be doable. But do it wrong, or hit a wave and tumbling at 50mph on water doesn't sound like a lot fun.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Hmmm, am sure it was more impressive watching it there...

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I think water is pretty hard and lethal at those speeds. Ice maybe.

Last edited by d000hg; 23 May 2012, 15:52.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    At those speeds what would happen if you attempted to do a water landing? Could you curl into a ball at the last second and skim across the surface like the bouncing bomb?
    I think water is pretty hard and lethal at those speeds. Ice maybe.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Amazing.

Video here:
    Gary Connery: stuntman completes 2400ft skydive without a parachute - Telegraph

Rollerskates next hopefully.

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    Just shown my 9 year old son. His reaction? "That's easy! Anyone could land on a million cardboard boxes."

Wingman: British Stuntman Gary Connery To Skydive Without Parachute | Strange News | Sky News

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    At those speeds what would happen if you attempted to do a water landing? Could you curl into a ball at the last second and skim across the surface like the bouncing bomb?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X