• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Should I open another ISA today, before the end of this financial year?"

Collapse

• lukemg
    replied
    First - 5-10 years is the timeframe for equity investment, if you can't hold your nerve that long or need access to the cash - don't bother.
    My earliest funds (expensive but ticking over) are looking at a 8-10%pa return over 14 years (dotcom crash, recession, credit crunch, market stagnation) which I am more than happy with.

Currently waiting for a kick down to chuck some funds in but got a cheap US tracker going with monthly payments which are made automatically so I don't have to think about it.
    Next investment will be a Vanguard low cost income fund - UK based.
    Will also be topping up some blue chip HYP individual stocks.

Forget the day-trading and spread betting, get some cheap trackers and gamble with the last 10% if you need the buzz.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    I forgot about this thread. Wish I'd opened up the ISA, because instead all I've done is gambled away the money on spreadbetting. Lost £30 since then

Time to stop I guess

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Got funds free in August. Where's your prospectus?
    This time next year Rodders...

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post

You should have waited for SKA IPO
    Got funds free in August. Where's your prospectus?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I cash ISA only and normally trade stocks. But this finical year I didn't have access to the same 50k fund I use to day trade and so bought two shares for 'longterm' growth. Both of which have halved. If I had day traded them down their turbulent path I'd probably be up.

You should have waited for SKA IPO

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by russell View Post
    I use cash ISA's only, without a definitive edge stock trading is gambling as it can be seen here, if you have a spare 300k and don't have to work then you can make good money day trading.
    I cash ISA only and normally trade stocks. But this finical year I didn't have access to the same 50k fund I use to day trade and so bought two shares for 'longterm' growth. Both of which have halved. If I had day traded them down their turbulent path I'd probably be up.

It's a gamble these days.

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    Bad year so far. I've lost 5k of 10k I had in equities with no spare cash to trade. Que sera sera.
    I use cash ISA's only, without a definitive edge stock trading is gambling as it can be seen here, if you have a spare 300k and don't have to work then you can make good money day trading.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Bad year so far. I've lost 5k of 10k I had in equities with no spare cash to trade. Que sera sera.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Isas lose up to 25pc in three months - Telegraph

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    Looks like we're due a pullback in equities...
    Could be. Have £20k sat on the side-lines waiting to be dumped into equities in my SIPP. Currently holding fire to see which way the market goes.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Well in many ways I'm glad I didn't open an ISA, equity or cash, last week. I would have been scrambling for the money, so instead I decided that this (last) FY I will enjoy spending the cash.

I also transferred £2k into my spreadbet account and shorted the Dow and FTSE; I closed the Dow short after the jobs report on Friday but FTSE trade is still open as futures were closed due to Easter holiday. So far showing a 100% profit but I'm still down around £50k over the past 18 months or so.

Looks like we're due a pullback in equities and so I'll trade short term then push back into ISA funds later this year.

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Hasn't mattered so far
    Steve? Dead? OMG!!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Did their share price not drop considerably more when the public were informed of his illness than when he died? Obviously the market corrected on the former due to the latter being imminent but it is a bit morbid.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by nomadd View Post
    Steve Jobs might die.
    Hasn't mattered so far

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Good thing about regular deposits is that you forget about it then it always seems like a nice surprise when you look at the totals.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X