• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "House prices to rise for years, says BoE's David Miles"

Collapse

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    I can enjoy it on Right Move and dream of one day when I move into one of those properties
    Altogether now

Oh, I could hide neath the wings
    Of the bluebird as she sings,
    The six o'clock alarm would never ring...

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    And what woould a loser like you know about top-end property?
    I can enjoy it on Right Move and dream of one day when I move into one of those properties

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    At the start of the top end of the market (i.e. 1 million + in London and the SE) I can vouch that the market is red hot.
    Sealed bids and gazumping are rife.
    This is because there is a shortage of good property and an influx of European money.
    Have you sold your London pad?

I have my first agent coming round tonight to give me a valuation.

Haven't decided yet whether to sell or get a corporate tenant in as I get about 3 letters a week asking me if I would consider renting it.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Which would make my post empty .
    Quite - like all the content free TPD posts you have made over time.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    No need to sign off your posts.
    HTH
    Which would make my post empty and there identical to yours in the creative department.

Do you have to insult people without giving a reason? Oh yes, this is the general bear-pit - I forgot for a second.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Cretin
    No need to sign off your posts.
    HTH

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Cretin

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    And you are sure of that because your £50k less than pricing cash bid wasn't accepted?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    At the start of the top end of the market (i.e. 1 million + in London and the SE) I can vouch that the market is red hot.
    And you are sure of that because your £50k less than pricing cash bid wasn't accepted?

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Sealed bids and gazumping are rife.
    This is because there is a shortage of good property and an influx of European money.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Optimus Prime View Post
    Everyone knows that house prices always go up.
    Over the long term yes. But buying a house in early nineties was bad in the UK except for central/western London.

I still think house prices will be flat for next 3-5 years.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Anyone going into BTL expecting capital appreciation needs their head examined. It's all about yield.

Leave a comment:

• Optimus Prime
    replied
    Everyone knows that house prices always go up.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    So this is the final call for the top of the market in London. Note that outside London (and some posh parts of the SE) prices have dropped between 10-50% since 2007.
    The Dim one posted a link to house price statistics recently that showed house prices were dropping about 6% annually in some parts of the UK, and accelerating downwards. Except London and I think Scotland. Beats me how house prices can stay at stupid levels with real incomes nose-diving, unemployment booming, layoffs, record austerity and the day of reckoning to come, one day soon. And 0.5% base rates and QE can't last forever, and building societies are raising their interest rates anyway. How can house prices stay at record highs in the face of all that is to come.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    David Miles, one of the Bank’s nine rate-setters, said in an official paper that the desire for space caused by the UK’s rising population would reinforce planning restrictions and make it more difficult for housebuilders to keep up with demand. As a result, he said: “We should anticipate a rising trajectory for real house prices over the longer term.

“This is particularly likely in a country like the UK where population density looks set to rise relatively fast. The model also suggests that the upwards trajectory in house values may ultimately become steeper than the rise in real incomes.”

However, a housing boom would be out of reach for first time buyers, he added, because credit will remain in short supply. Before the financial crisis, buyers did not need a deposit to secure a mortgage. Since the recession, though, large deposits have become essential.

“It should not be seen as a sign of a damaged market,” Mr Miles said. “It probably never made sense for there to be 100pc mortgages. There may be no price at which it makes commercial sense for such a loan to be available.”

He added: “New homeowners in the future may need to have more equity than was normal in the years leading up to the financial crisis. This will have an impact, probably permanently, on the pattern of home‐ownership.

Source: House prices to rise for years, says BoE's David Miles - Telegraph

So this is the final call for the top of the market in London. Note that outside London (and some posh parts of the SE) prices have dropped between 10-50% since 2007.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X