• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Insomnia

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Insomnia"

Collapse

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Opposite for me. A little 3.8km swim puts me in the mood for a 180km cycle and a 43km run.
    You're not one of those bedwetting Ironman types are you?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
    Swimming puts me out like a light
    Originally posted by Zoiderman View Post
    Seems to with me. Did a kilometre last night, got back to the room, waiting for a call. Phone on silent and slept through til 4. Schoolboy error; wife unhappy.
    Opposite for me. A little 3.8km swim puts me in the mood for a 180km cycle and a 43km run.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    It's a bitch!
    Yup.

Leave a comment:

• Zoiderman
    replied
    Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
    Seems to with me. Did a kilometre last night, got back to the room, waiting for a call. Phone on silent and slept through til 4. Schoolboy error; wife unhappy.

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Zoiderman
    replied
    I sleep like a log, and can sleep on whim. Only need around 6 hours, less if I have a little nap sometime during the day.

I reckon being pretty shagged out helps. I exercise on the bike every night, and gym for an hour. Try and get a swim in as often as I can. As soon as I put my head on the pillow I am away with the birds.

I think I get most tired from a long swim.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I wonder if we will ever properly understand 'basic' things like sleep and aging well enough that we can avoid them. We're clearly not ready to deal with the consequences if we do...

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr.Whippy View Post
    sssh! I'm trying to sleep!
    Well stop hogging the duvet, and cut your bloody toes nails!

Leave a comment:

• Mr.Whippy
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    <sigh>
    sssh! I'm trying to sleep!

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    <sigh>

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    I read an interesting theory, donkeys years ago.

When you stand on a set of scales, it will give you a weight. When you step off, you have to take the reading again, and add or subtract it from the first reading.
    Of course what most people do is to set the scales to zero, or calibrate them, before the first measurement, then the calculation is not neccesary. Over time the scales will 'drift' and will need to be recalibrated, but how often ?
    The body solves this by having daily recalibrations. It doesnt have to check to see if there has been any drift, it just sets things to zero in any event.
    If this doesnt happen, it's only a matter of time before the drift will start to screw you over and you will go mad.
    The calibration can only occur when there is no activity, no one on the scales, so the body ensures there is no activity by switching things off. Bit by bit it goes through all the major functions, closes them right down, measures the high and low then sets the zero. When its the brains turn, you are in the deepest sleep.
    When you wake up with heart palpitations, that was the hearts high being checked, legs trembling ? checking the extremes of leg muscle control

and so on

off for a snooze now

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Not every online disagreement has to dissolve into a meaningless tirade of puerile insults
    True. But I always think it helps to keep the averages up.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    If only.

Not every online disagreement has to dissolve into a meaningless tirade of puerile insults, you womble.

Leave a comment:

• pacharan
    replied
    Originally posted by oscarose View Post
    As alluded, sleep developed as part of an evolutionary process and the exact mechanics are unknown. Humans have long childhoods' to facilitate optimum brain development (allegedly).
    Can't remember if I'm logged in as my spelling bee sockie but WTF

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by oscarose View Post
    No problem.
    dude

Leave a comment:

Working...
X