• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What kind of worker are you?"

Collapse

• Dallas
    replied
    Originally posted by yetanotherbob View Post
    I've learnt not to try and be the project hero by burning my fingers a few times.
    My foremost responsibility is to maximise profit for MyLtd. Co. and to that end, I stick to my deliverables precisely.
    However, I do occasionally make a show of (this has to be well timed) going over and beyond but that is only as a marketing tactic for the expertise MyLtd. Co. has to offer rather than any desire to be the project hero.
    Bingo, I am the same.

But with that I do feel like a spectator to untrained wannabe pioneers on a continuous insistence of re-inventing the wheel and self-congratulations can be patronising at time too

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by Freamon View Post
    Bit of a hypocritical thread title isn't it though?

Oh, sorry, he said *worker*.

Leave a comment:

• yetanotherbob
    replied
    I've learnt not to try and be the project hero by burning my fingers a few times.
    My foremost responsibility is to maximise profit for MyLtd. Co. and to that end, I stick to my deliverables precisely.
    However, I do occasionally make a show of (this has to be well timed) going over and beyond but that is only as a marketing tactic for the expertise MyLtd. Co. has to offer rather than any desire to be the project hero.

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    Bit of a hypocritical thread title isn't it though?

Oh, sorry, he said *worker*.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Have you been stealing photos from MFs photo album again.
    This from Eeks

<inserts random picture from Google using the words 'fawning lickspittle'>

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Nah. That was a freebie from his Wedding Photographer's Preview Folder.

You should have seen the ones that didn't make it in!!

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post

Yeah, we know.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    I used to be a project hero until I realised that well run projects don't need heroes.

So that's how I run my projects (or my part of the project) these days.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Most of the time I get stuck in and generally over deliver and offer my services outside of the original project scope.
    That is what AtW does too. He is the toast of the docks.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Most of the time I get stuck in and generally over deliver and offer my services outside of the original project scope.

For various reasons I've not done that on my current gig though.

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    I have only ever worked by rolling my sleeves up and getting the job done. However having had to undo several well meant gestures, I would say sometimes I would rather have an arm folder on my team than someone that does not know their own limits.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Superhero. I wear my underpants on the outside.

Yeah, we know.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Me and the QA manager at the last project progress meeting

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    I am definitely an "arm folder", off at 5 pm sharp. Won't touch anything outside my "jurisdiction" unless I'm forced to. Staying late needs to be approved by at least two layers of managers. I find "project heros" create a lot of problems disturbing the gentle pond like surface of a well run project. A good project team sits there with dour expressions, an air of reluctant co-operation, pessimistic estimates, and a constant murmuring that most things are really quite impossible.
    I'm sure everyone agrees you do a reasonable job while you're there, but this is a good way not to be asked back again. Nobody is going to seek you out to solve their most difficult problems.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Are you the 'arms folded' type where you 'have done your bit' and it's 'somebody elses problem' and the 'arse covering email' is in the sent items folder. Or do you muck in and help out where you can?

I don't work well with arm folders. They irritate the tulipe out of me. (Contract and perm). Then again I have a tendancy to over extend, find myself then spread way too thin and on the brink of needing rubber sheets, (while the arm folders point and laugh).

So, are you worth your day rate as project hero? Or an arm folder?
    I'm so MoneySupermarket!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X