• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Scotland in Fairtrade nation bid"

Collapse

• xoggoth
    replied
    I'm all for bringing back slavery personally. Darn leftist idealism!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    Who defines what is fair and what is unfair?
    Why don't you read their website?

Whether it is 'fair' could be a valid debate, but whether it is fairER is not... paying people enough they aren't slogging their guts just to stay near the poverty line to provide us KitKats.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    If it is tied to real production and they have to sustain and grow real industries to get it, it probably makes more sense than foreign aid which is as destructive to incentive as welfare is over here. The devil is all in the detail of course which I can't be *rsed to research, although if consumers here have a choice over whether to buy fair trade produce or not it's up to them.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    What a coward you are hiding behind a literal explanation in a dictionary. You can do better than that by applying it to the concept of "fair trade"
    You asked me to define the concept of fair. A dictionary seemed like a good place to start. Hardly cowardice.

Personally, I believe that humans have evolved an innate idea of what is fair and unfair which they apply to most of their actions and when judging the actions of others. Various research in behavioural economics and evolutionary psychology backs this up, and it seems that people's idea of fair leads to a pretty good heuristic approximation to optimal strategy for a lot of simple economic "games".

It's clear from your posts that you yourself have a strong idea of what is fair or unfair and a fairly strong desire to see the world operate in ways you consider fair. Why don't you use that as a starting point?

As regards my personal definition of fair, it's rather strictly mathematical. A fair game is one in which all players have equal chances of winning. An unfair game is one which is biased in favour of one or more of the players. This is pretty much the same as sense 1 in the dictionary entry above.
    Last edited by doodab; 26 February 2012, 15:13.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Fair | Define Fair at Dictionary.com

I'm sure one of the posters on here does google lessons. Perhaps they'll give you a discount if you ask nicely.
    What a coward you are hiding behind a literal explanation in a dictionary. You can do better than that by applying it to the concept of "fair trade"

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Well go on then enlighten me
    Fair | Define Fair at Dictionary.com

I'm sure one of the posters on here does google lessons. Perhaps they'll give you a discount if you ask nicely.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    You do come out with some complete and utter garbage.
    Your isolation seems to be getting to you

Dont interrupt I am looking forward to settling down and hearing once and for all how fairness is defined

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Your floccinaucinihilipilification is to be expected. At it's very heart your industry allows the feckless to profit unfairly, whilst others work on and your coppers continue to fall from the sky. So why would you recognise fair even if it hit in you face with the full force of a hungry hippo?
    You do come out with some complete and utter garbage.
    Your isolation seems to be getting to you

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Is it such an alein concept that you need it defining for you?
    Well go on then enlighten me

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Is it such an alein concept that you need it defining for you?

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Your floccinaucinihilipilification is to be expected. At it's very heart your industry allows the feckless to profit unfairly, whilst others work on and your coppers continue to fall from the sky. So why would you recognise fair even if it hit in you face with the full force of a hungry hippo?

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    I am deeply suspicious of any context within which the word "fair" is applied.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Come on England keep up there in the back.

BBC News - Scotland in Fairtrade nation bid
    I am deeply suspicious of any context within which the word "fair" is applied. Do any of these idiots who fall for this Politically Correct garbage ever bother to check what is meant by "fair"

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    started a topic Scotland in Fairtrade nation bid

Scotland in Fairtrade nation bid

Come on England keep up there in the back.

Scotland is on course to become a Fairtrade nation later this year, according to External Affairs Secretary Fiona Hyslop.

Across the country, 62 towns have either achieved Fairtrade status or have active steering groups.

Almost two-thirds of higher education institutions and 171 schools have achieved the standard.
    BBC News - Scotland in Fairtrade nation bid

Working...
X