• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "I bloody hate dance music"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    "Na, na na na na, na na na na, na na na, na na na, na na na na!"

?

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Complexity has very little to do with it IMO. Some of the most moving music is the simplest, even a single human voice can bring tears to the eye, and some dance music is far more complex both rhythmically and harmonically than e.g. 12 bar blues or even a lot of orchestral music.

It's really a matter of taste. Some people have it and some people don't
    Last edited by doodab; 26 February 2012, 15:24.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I'm sure our parents/grandparents (depending on age) said the same about rock & roll... that's equally simplistic after all. Nowhere is it written that music has to be complex to be captivating.
    Nah, it's not that. A good melody can be simple.

We at least had some intelligent lyrics at one time.

"Na, na na na na, na na na na, na na na, na na na, na na na na!" (damn can't find the original on Youtube)
    Last edited by Sysman; 26 February 2012, 15:30.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    It's bloody brain dead crap for someone who appreciates proper music.
    I'm sure our parents/grandparents (depending on age) said the same about rock & roll... that's equally simplistic after all. Nowhere is it written that music has to be complex to be captivating.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by aussielong View Post
    Most of this stuff can only be appreciated on a certain level if you have taken E in a dance music setting. This is because IMHO a lot of the music is designed to build up and enhance an ecstasy high. If you have never taken E then you wouldn't having a feeling for why the track is building and repeating, and you wouldn't hear old tracks with hairs standing up on your neck - of course you can intellectually understand what's happening but you don't feel the record. Having said that, I agree with you, a lot of it is just trype.
    Yep. I suffered this tripe last year when a new bar opened down my street and were playing it way too loud. It was basically the same simple tune with a load of background discordant boom, but there were quiet bits building up to another crescendo. I think they had a repertoire of about 3 tunes, each lasting a couple of hours.

Never taken E, but apparently DJs discovered in the late 80s / early 90s that this kind of music got an audience of E takers going, and the rest of us got stuck with the racket.

It's bloody brain dead crap for someone who appreciates proper music.

Leave a comment:

• Supply and Command
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    You know it, boom boom boom zzzz boom boom boom electronic crap without any musical value
    That's because you haven't heard the good stuff:

Ram Trilogy - Titan
    Ram Trilogy - Titan RAMM28 - YouTube

Andy C + DJ Hype - Let Loose
    Andy C & Dj Hype : let loose - YouTube

Dizzee Rascal - Hype Talk
    Dizzee Rascal - Hype Talk - YouTube

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    Agreed. But what an arse and I haven't even watched the vid yet
    Time to switch off my own music and wander over to youtube then
    Last edited by Sysman; 25 February 2012, 22:04.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    What's not to love?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    You know it, boom boom boom zzzz boom boom boom electronic crap without any musical value. Don't tell me it's because I'm old because it's been around for 20 odd years since before I got old and I bloody hated it back then.
    How are you on DubStep?

I like some dance records that are basically singles and last 3-4min... the stuff they play in clubs IS just unending dross.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    I would never say I hate a particular genre (appart from what is laughably known as R&B these days), check out UNKLE if you want to hear electronica at its best, not strictly dance music I know.

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    Here you go MTT, something for you to enjoy:

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Alf W View Post
    It's that 80s Euro-pop rubbish that I can't stand.

Crap sounds, fit bird who has now achieved MILF perfection;

Gallery | Sabrina Salerno

I would.

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    It's that 80s Euro-pop rubbish that I can't stand.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Maginty
    replied
    Last edited by Jeff Maginty; 7 June 2022, 18:53.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    I quite like the boom boom stuff. It isn't supposed to be listened too, it's for hurling yourself about to. Great
    exercise. Cleared the floor at my son's wedding last year, embarassing the family is one of life's pleasures.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X