• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Brrrm brrrm

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Brrrm brrrm"

Collapse

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    Yes but that's the problem. Every one that has owned that car has been a twunt. You will be lucky to find one thats not very badly abused even if its got the FHSH. The last thing you want to do if you are buying a cheap run around is find out that next week you have a 2k bill to sort its gearbox. other than that nice car
    That's a bit of a sweeping statement, yes it will have been driven hard but they were built for precisely that purpose.

I had one for 3 years and I'm convinced the only way to damage the engine would be to down change from 6th to 3rd at 120mph which has been done a couple if times if you read the CTR forums. A remarkable bit of engineering for the price.

Saying that, I wouldn't buy one for a daily commute unless you're mostly on B roads, the noise and rock hard suspension would drive you insane.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    I assume you had to go over the 1k budget to get something with low mileage?
    Yes, I spent just over £2k in the end. I might have paid a bit over the odds TBH, it's hard to be sure as all the others I can find advertised have a lot more miles on the clock, but I'm satisfied with what I've got for the money.
    Last edited by doodab; 26 February 2012, 08:41.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Well I'm now the owner of a low mileage Audi A4. It probably won't quite stretch to 30mpg with a 2.8L V6 but it is in tip top condition with only half the usual miles for the age and full service and MOT history.
    I assume you had to go over the 1k budget to get something with low mileage?

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Well I'm now the owner of a low mileage Audi A4. It probably won't quite stretch to 30mpg with a 2.8L V6 but it is in tip top condition with only half the usual miles for the age and full service and MOT history.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    This one looks alright, £1500.

2001 VOLKSWAGEN Bora 2.0 SE

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    IMO 1k will buy you a lot of problems and its not like its a nice looking car that will be easy to sell when you are done...

2002 52reg SAAB 93 9-3 Cab 2.0 SE Turbo Convertible FSH 12mMOT 79k | eBay
    I've seen a few decent looking saabs, they are definitely the favourite at the moment. Not too keen on a convertible though

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Does that Volvo have an MOT? The title doesn't match the detail.
    Seems not. Definitely a PoS that one.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Preloved | second hand rovers rover 75 diesel for sale UK and Ireland

wasn't the 75 diesel a BMW engine. I really wouldn't want a 1.8 k series engine of any age.
    Definitely no Rovers.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Preloved | second hand rovers rover 75 diesel for sale UK and Ireland

wasn't the 75 diesel a BMW engine. I really wouldn't want a 1.8 k series engine of any age.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Rover : Rover 75 SE 1.8

£900

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Agreed, and the wording makes my spider senses tingle as well. Not liking that one at all.

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    IMO 1k will buy you a lot of problems and its not like its a nice looking car that will be easy to sell when you are done...

2002 52reg SAAB 93 9-3 Cab 2.0 SE Turbo Convertible FSH 12mMOT 79k | eBay

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Actually bollocks to spending £3000. Budget is £1000 tops, I can get that out of the cashpoint and it saves me going to the bank.

Scouring gumtree and autotrader as we speak.

This looks alright:

Mitsubishi Gallant- first to see will buy in Kensington, London | Used Mitsubishi for sale | Gumtree.com

Or this

1997 VOLVO S40 1.8I SILVER WITH TAX AND FULL YEARS MOT | eBay

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Actually bollocks to spending £3000. Budget is £1000 tops, I can get that out of the cashpoint and it saves me going to the bank.

Scouring gumtree and autotrader as we speak.

This looks alright:

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-m...l-buy/94878994

Or this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1997-VOLVO...#ht_506wt_1396
    Last edited by doodab; 24 February 2012, 15:57.

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Originally posted by Basil Fawlty View Post
    Being a bit of a boy racer I'd go for something like this :

2003 Honda Civic 2.0 I-VTEC Type-R 3dr Hatchback
    Yes but that's the problem. Every one that has owned that car has been a twunt. You will be lucky to find one thats not very badly abused even if its got the FHSH. The last thing you want to do if you are buying a cheap run around is find out that next week you have a 2k bill to sort its gearbox. other than that nice car

Leave a comment:

Working...
X