• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Jobless Scum

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Jobless Scum"

Collapse

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    I did not live in London

Should have gambled and bought a house!
    Funny you appear on a thread about benefits - you're surely the person who' s claimed the most while developing SKA - what was it? 8 years or so?

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Looks like it is part of a Govt. Scheme called Sector Based Work Academies

Get Britain Working - DWP

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
    Depends. Does JSA=NMW? If JSA is less then Tesco are exploiting the unemployed. If the job exists then it must be covered by NMW and should be advertised as such.
    Fair point

Leave a comment:

• Arturo Bassick
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    Is there something wrong with that?
    Depends. Does JSA=NMW? If JSA is less then Tesco are exploiting the unemployed. If the job exists then it must be covered by NMW and should be advertised as such.

Leave a comment:

• petergriffin
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    That is what the left always argue when they are challenged about employment laws. Vast amounts of red tape can be removed without society being enslaved.
    This is old kak. Most of today's production cost has to do with high cost of fuel, high cost of credit, middle-management bureaucracy, not with employment laws.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by petergriffin View Post
    Surely, legalizing slavery?
    That is what the left always argue when they are challenged about employment laws. Vast amounts of red tape can be removed without society being enslaved.

Leave a comment:

• petergriffin
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    We need less red-tape to enable businesses to compete with Asia.
    Surely, legalizing slavery?

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Is there something wrong with that?

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by kingcook View Post
    I remember in my very first employer (in software development).

After many years i began to hate the place. I was desperate to get out, i tried to open up my own dog poo cleaning company (seriously). Offering a service to rid people's back yards for the poo that their dogs left. I even managed to post leaflets through all the letterboxes in 3 or 4 streets.

I'm now so glad that no one took me up on my services!!

You think? Mr DynoRod charges 100 notes to push a disc on the end of a rubber pipe down your drain. Probably 2 mins work in most cases.

Kerching!

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Gotta love Tesco's and their "Every little helps"

TESCO NIGHT SHIFT in EAST ANGLIA IP32 - Directgov jobs and skills search - Job details

WageJSA+EXPENSES

Leave a comment:

• kingcook
    replied
    I remember in my very first employer (in software development).

After many years i began to hate the place. I was desperate to get out, i tried to open up my own dog poo cleaning company (seriously). Offering a service to rid people's back yards for the poo that their dogs left. I even managed to post leaflets through all the letterboxes in 3 or 4 streets.

I'm now so glad that no one took me up on my services!!

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    We need less red-tape to enable businesses to compete with Asia.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Yep, people get a real sense of satisfaction out of being told to pick up dog turds or starve; and my local rag's job ads are full of "Must have experience of picking up dog turds" caveats
    Are you saying it is therefore better for people not to work?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    In 1995, I got a contract away from home, and got lodgings in the friend of a friend's house. My landlord was on benefits and had been for three years, ever since his business collapsed. He was a qualified accountant, but at the age of 55, couldn't find work. He was 58 by the time I stay with them, and he was resigned to never working again.

I stayed with them for 6 months. During which time, we had to fight with the benefits office to show that I wasn't part of the household, so my earnings were irrelevant to the family's benefit entitlement (including council tax benefit), and that to reduce their benefits by the exact amount of rent I was paying was moronic and against the rules. But also during this time, he took inspiration from the idea of contracting.

He'd created and conducted some internal training courses for his emplyoer in the past, so we concentrated on that. He developed training courses in Excel, Word, Powerpoint, and then started getting contracts. It did take a few months to get the first one, but after that he never looked back.

What was profoundly irritating was that there was me, actively working to get this guy back into the workplace, yet the whole benefit system was geared against it. They offered him no help whatsover - just kept trying to cut his benefits.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    In the Eighties a mate of mine was a street sweeper. He reckoned the worst thing was having to scrape up a flat cat on a hot summer day - and then wheel it around under his nose in the barrow for the remainder of his shift
    he got my job.

i bet he thought the sun shone out of his fkng @rse

i used to Dream of sniffing dead cats

etc
    etc

Leave a comment:

Working...
X