• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Addicted to curry

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Addicted to curry"

Collapse

• Freamon
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    Today I'm dong an EO and going the full monty with chilli con carne ( guacamole, salsa and tortillas, all home made )
    Mmmmm guacamole.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I'd always heard that using shop-bought paste (rather than sauces) was a good compromise to make decent curry. But when we tried with two types, it didn't really taste of anything - certainly nothing like the takeaway/restaurant
    Shame since can't be arsed buying all the spices and herbs individually.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD View Post
    It's a good idea - I have a private FB group where we share recipes.

How about it Mr Admin - a ChefUK recipes forum?

I might think up a recipe: sasguru grumpy goulash? It'll be sour with a sharp bite.
    Recipe thread would be good. Admin pretty please

Garnished with cretins?

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Checkout norrahe's recipe. Home made curry is not a case of putting a processed sauce over some chicken pieces sadly. It's better to go the whole hog: fry your spices, add your tomatos, fry ginger garlic and onion and slow cook until rich.

Once you've made a few you'll get the idea of the interaction of all the spices and sauces.

Bloody hell, I'm Hank Marvin for a curry now that I'm talking about it!

Would it be wrong to have chilli lamb shank for breakfast followed by a Bangla beer?
    The recipe was given to me by my Burmese flatmate at uni years ago

I wouldn't use chicken breast, it dries out too easily.

Dry roast the spices first to bring out the oils but not too hot.

Always fry the spices with onions to cook them out, otherwise you have a raw spice taste to the curry.

Today I'm dong an EO and going the full monty with chilli con carne ( guacamole, salsa and tortillas, all home made )

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    I have just completed my personal accounts for quarter 4 2011, and have discovered that I have ben spending £55 per week on delivery curries, which equates to one every other day.
    Good effort. Though £27.50 seems a lot, we have a great one locally which costs us ~£14 for starters, bread, curries, rice and sundries for the two of us.

On that basis you could have curry every day for the same cost... in fact you'd be saving as you wouldn't need as much in the way of other food

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    Edit: This was just copy n' pasted from the last time we had this discussion. We should probably have one big recipe thread... or is that a bit too mumsnet.
    It's a good idea - I have a private FB group where we share recipes.

How about it Mr Admin - a ChefUK recipes forum?

I might think up a recipe: sasguru grumpy goulash? It'll be sour with a sharp bite.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    1 x Tin Tomatoes
    1 x Onion
    3 cm Ginger
    3 x Garlic cloves
    1 x Scotch Bonnet Chilli
    1 tsp Ground Coriander
    1 tsp Ground Cumin
    1/2 tsb Tumeric
    Salt and pepper
    1 cup chicken stock
    2 tbsp natural yoghurt
    1 lime
    2 large chicken breasts
    coriander leaves
    Cooking oil

Finely chop and fry the onions
    Finely chop the chilli, ginger and garlic and add to the onions once softened
    after a few mins add the dry spices and fry for 2 mins keeping an eye to avoid burning
    Pour in the tin of tomatoes and cup of stock.
    Reduce the heat and let it simmer for about 5-10 mins and then blitz with a hand blender
    Add salt and pepper to taste.

Add the chopped chicken, whack a lid on and leave it for 30-40 mins

Once the sauce has nicely thickened, add the yogurt, and the juice of half the lime, stir, taste and add the 2nd half if needed.
    Once happy, chuck in the coriander leaves, stir and serve.

Edit: This was just copy n' pasted from the last time we had this discussion. We should probably have one big recipe thread... or is that a bit too mumsnet.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Many thanks norrahe - I've saved that recipe in a text file and will give it a go.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    I've tried, but the sauce always comes out hopelessly watery.

I boil some diced chicken, drain the water, and tip in a tin of curry sauce. But in no time it just looks like chicken in curry-coloured water.
    Checkout norrahe's recipe. Home made curry is not a case of putting a processed sauce over some chicken pieces sadly. It's better to go the whole hog: fry your spices, add your tomatos, fry ginger garlic and onion and slow cook until rich.

Once you've made a few you'll get the idea of the interaction of all the spices and sauces.

Bloody hell, I'm Hank Marvin for a curry now that I'm talking about it!

Would it be wrong to have chilli lamb shank for breakfast followed by a Bangla beer?

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Curry recipe

Ingredients:
    2 med onions
    1tsp cumin seed
    1 tsp black mustard seed
    1tsp dried chilli flakes or 1 red chilli roughly chopped
    2tsp garam masala
    ½ tsp sugar
    Salt to taste
    1 tablespoon water
    1 tin tomatoes
    150ml greek yoghurt
    150g chopped coriander to garnish

[Additional ingredients to add to the base courgette - halved and chopped, mushrooms- chopped, chicken thighs - diced, Prawns, lamb chops – diced/whole, mangetout - halved, green beans - halved, etc and anything else you may like to throw in the pot]

Roughly chop the onions and sweat in a small amount of oil on a low heat for until they are soft, add the cumin and mustard seed and fry for a further minute, then add the garam masala and the water, stirring leave to cook for 5 minutes.

While the onions are sweating prep the other ingredients you wish to add

Then add the tinned tomatoes and the chilli flakes/fresh chilli.

This is where the cooking times will vary depending on what you add to the base mixture
    For chicken, lamb and prawns give it 15-20 mins on a low heat.
    For courgettes, give it 5 mins again on a medium heat
    Mushrooms or other veg 6- 10 minutes.

To finish add the sugar, and ensuring the curry is on a low heat, add the yoghurt and then season with the salt. For the health conscious amongst you, you can omit the yoghurt and serve on the side or use goats milk yoghurt.
    Stir through and then garnish with the coriander. I normally serve this with plain steamed rice.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    I've found the Geeta's sauces with the little spice thing on top to be fairly good, I do prefer to make my own though.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied

I make my own. You'll never go back to takeaway ever again. Much cheaper. ...
    I've tried, but the sauce always comes out hopelessly watery.

I boil some diced chicken, drain the water, and tip in a tin of curry sauce. But in no time it just looks like chicken in curry-coloured water.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    I make my own. You'll never go back to takeaway ever again. Much cheaper.

I'm sure norrahe would back me up here.

Mind you, I've just come back from a beer 'n' curry night with a friend and the chilli lamb shank and Bangla beer was very good.

Right, a quick game of SWTOR before sleep at 02:00...

"It's a trap!"

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

whoops , got to dash. there's a knock at the door
    the toilet's free

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Come to Manchester and enjoy a Rice and Three, very popular in these parts...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X