• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Moving away from London ..."

Collapse

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Freamon View Post
    Pretty sure a real sasguru would be easily capable of joining the relevant data sources to get these measures together.
    Working on it just now ....

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Bollocks, a quick phonecall to the relevant person at Savills would be a damn site easier, assuming you know who the relevant person is.

Churchill - In "It's all about contacts" mode!
    Yes I suppose if you were an idiot who thought estate agents were trustworthy it might be easier.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Freamon View Post
    Pretty sure a real sasguru would be easily capable of joining the relevant data sources to get these measures together.
    Bollocks, a quick phonecall to the relevant person at Savills would be a damn site easier, assuming you know who the relevant person is.

Churchill - In "It's all about contacts" mode!

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Data is hard to get ...AFAIK there's no one central source that gives actual purchase price and rental income ...

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    This has crossed my mind (the move to Kent) because connections to the City are really good, as are links by road to surrounding areas. You get a bit more space and probably a little more for your money. And for the Mrs, you have the obvious shopping centre distractions of Blue Water and the other new one in Stratford. I wouldn't very far south though - it would have to be no more than an hour into City.
    Anywhere were you can commute into London with ease and the area is decent will be expensive.

People tend to get surprised about the cost of living in the London border or Home counties.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Move to Kent you will be safer as you are unlikely to bump into Sasguru plus they have more grammar schools. After 2 years of tutoring unless your kid is really thick they should pass the exams with flying colours. This means you can save money for their uni education abroad.
    This has crossed my mind (the move to Kent) because connections to the City are really good, as are links by road to surrounding areas. You get a bit more space and probably a little more for your money. And for the Mrs, you have the obvious shopping centre distractions of Blue Water and the other new one in Stratford. I wouldn't very far south though - it would have to be no more than an hour into City.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    This is quite eerie.

I live in Wandsworth (well Putney actually).

Am looking to move out by the end of the year.

Guildford Grammer school was one we considered but am now more settled on a private alternative in Guildord.

Am visiting a few schools in Sevenoaks area in the next couple of weeks before making a final decision.

We have a 50% chance of being neighbours
    Move to Kent you will be safer as you are unlikely to bump into Sasguru plus they have more grammar schools. After 2 years of tutoring unless your kid is really thick they should pass the exams with flying colours. This means you can save money for their uni education abroad.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    If he has his father's brains, you'll be lucky to get him a paper round.
    Don't be mean - he might have natural ability to do it...

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Let's get the boy into Guildford Grammar, if he has his father's brains, shouldn't be a problem.
    If he has his father's brains, you'll be lucky to get him a paper round.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    While you're working in your poorly paid public sector contract, I'll be taking up a new hobby like navel-gazing or bulltuliping.
    ftfy

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Wandsworth is great for adults not for children.
    Let's get the boy into Guildford Grammar, if he has his father's brains, shouldn't be a problem.
    A bit further afield there's Cranleigh, with what looks like a pretty good private school.

(The link says "prep school", and I'm not sure if that's an offshoot of the public school there - all a bit confusing; but anyway it popped up first in a Google search on "Cranleigh property")

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Budget is £750K. Should be Ok for Guildford, Godalming. Only got one sprog so don't need that much space.
    Mine is up for £750k if you want it. I was planning to move even further south where it's even cheaper.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    That's a surprisingly good rule.
    Pretty logical ballpark figure - 1/1000*52=5.2% revenue per annum.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    A good rule of thumb is value / 1000 ~ weekly rent.
    That's a surprisingly good rule.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Wandsworth is great for adults not for children.
    This is quite eerie.

I live in Wandsworth (well Putney actually).

Am looking to move out by the end of the year.

Guildford Grammer school was one we considered but am now more settled on a private alternative in Guildord.

Am visiting a few schools in Sevenoaks area in the next couple of weeks before making a final decision.

We have a 50% chance of being neighbours

Leave a comment:

Working...
X