• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Dead bodies stored in cupboards on the Tube"

Collapse

• wim121
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Around 50 people a year kill themselves on the London Underground, equating to approximately one every week.
    woah. I knew London is depressing but no idea so many people felt the same way.
    Are London underground trains normally full of suicidle people?
    Well there are around 200 suicides each year on railways, compared to that figure of 50 people each year on the tube.

The tube gets 1.1 billion passengers a year. The train network gets around 1.3 billion.

The figures would be equal, if the rail network only had 4 times the amount of passengers as the tube, but they dont.

Mmmmmm less suicidal people in London, I find that hard to believe. I need to check those figures and see what it includes. On the rail network, it doesnt include freight trains, but cant find a good figure for that.

Maybe I should act as someone wanting to top myself and phone network rail/samaritans suicide on the tracks initiative and ask them which is a statistically more popular option

Figures:
    Samaritans and Network Rail join forces to reduce suicide on the railways
    Key facts | Transport for London
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...syrDVA&cad=rja
    Last edited by wim121; 3 February 2012, 17:38.

Leave a comment:

• wim121
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    they need to do more to identify such at risk people, not quite sure what.
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    I dont care about those who are inconvenienced. Personally whenever I have been late because of a sucide I just felt sad for the person and those who knew them.

But it is very bad for the driver. Some never recover.

As troll said on here once, of those who feel suicidal 90% are drawing attention to themselves and 10% will kill themselves come what may. It is almost impossible to distinguish between them.
    I dont feel any sympathy for jumpers as they are selfish socio-paths. If you want to do an illegal thing, such as dying (suicide), dont rope other people in. I have the deepest sympathy for the drivers who see the person explode on impact and probably see that every time they close their eyes. For road users, it's worse as they also have to be dragged through courts over it.

I do have sympathy for those that commit suicide though. It is sad when someone is so despondent they see death as the only escape or way out. Also their families/friends rarely get to say goodbye or may feel guilty over it.

It would be nice to identify people at risk vetran, but I have known or known of quite a few supposedly suicidal and "successful suicidal" people. The ones that are truly suicidal, often dont seek help and top themselves with no-one expecting it at all as they were "the happiest person they knew". Usually the people whining about it, do so for the attention. Not a golden rule, but a good rule of thumb.

I feel if we legalised euthanasia or suicide in medical facilities, so long as the person makes their wishes clear in person or by living will, not by proxy, then more lives could be saved and dignity given:
    - Those terminally ill wouldnt cost the NHS more money when they want to die straight away instead of in pain (seriously, we treat animals better).
    - Those who felt hopeless, could walk in to a centre and say "I want to die". They could at least at that point, receive counselling beforehand, but ultimately if they are intent on doing it in any way possible, do it at a clinic where it doesnt traumatise others and where they wont suffer too much pain.

Leave a comment:

• wim121
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    The most popular time is 11am apparently.
    Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
    You are Jeremy Clarkson and I claim my 5 end-of-show 'bombshells'.
    Oh I never meant that 9am was the most popular time, but when jumpers happened during rush hour, it caused massive headaches as information equipment would commonly need resetting, trains got delayed, etc etc.

Hahaha wobb, I never knew JC said that. I got annoyed with JC at the strikes. I had been saying for weeks beforehand, that I would put them in front of a firing squad, then a couple weeks later he copies me and says he'd make the families watch as well.

Sometimes I think he has someone spying on me, just to steal my material. Better put my tinfoil hat on.
    Last edited by wim121; 3 February 2012, 17:39.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by wim121 View Post
    Also they do it at the most inconvenient times like 9am.
    The most popular time is 11am apparently.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    I'm sure there is a common thread in the majority of cases. Just like many rough sleepers are ex forces, we should be able to cure that but we won't even admit it publicly.

Its like a disease we should investigate and find a cure.

Probably find its stress, lost job, divorce or a magic combination of these that drives the majority of suicides but I see no real evidence of investigation. Its a bit like traffic accidents they just deal with the symptoms not the cause.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    It's hard to understand the mental turmoil these unfortunate people must be going through, as what they do makes no sense to me. If they want to die, why not find a less gruesome and public way of doing it, or make constructive use of their situation; volunteer to hunt IEDs in Afghanistan, be the first to climb Everest by hopping up, etc? They must be too far gone to think of a positive way of ending themselves.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    One idea might be to have more train staff at stations. Besides discouraging vandalism and making passengers feel safe, they might spot jumpers. I have heard it said that train drivers know what is coming from the way they look. But they can do nothing about it.

But as you say, very tricky issue.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Also they do it at the most inconvenient times like 9am. Causing all that extra work for everyone, right down the line. Then the poor driver who has to deal with it forever.

We need euthanasia or suicide booths. If you're gonna top yourself, dont give a driver the guilt for your choice.
    I dont care about those who are inconvenienced. Personally whenever I have been late because of a sucide I just felt sad for the person and those who knew them.

But it is very bad for the driver. Some never recover.

Another problem with suicide is alot of people overdose on painkillers. Which does not kill immediately - but the kidney/liver failure does several days later. By which time they probably regret it.

As troll said on here once, of those who feel suicidal 90% are drawing attention to themselves and 10% will kill themselves come what may. It is almost impossible to distinguish between them.

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    In one of my previous assignments, I was working on IT systems on rail systems. It really is surprising nationally how many people jump a week. Also they do it at the most inconvenient times like 9am. Causing all that extra work for everyone, right down the line. Then the poor driver who has to deal with it forever.

We need euthanasia or suicide booths. If you're gonna top yourself, dont give a driver the guilt for your choice.
    You are Jeremy Clarkson and I claim my 5 end-of-show 'bombshells'.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Another worker added: “We’ve even heard of situations where cleaners come down to get a mop or a bucket or whatever and there’s some poor unfortunate person’s body in there.”

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Considering the amount of people that use the tube, that isnt very many people at all.
    Are London underground trains normally full of suicidle people?

Leave a comment:

• wim121
    replied
    Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
    I think you'll find the dead bodies were simply people waiting a very long time for a tube.
    Hahahahahaha

woah. I knew London is depressing but no idea so many people felt the same way.
    Considering the amount of people that use the tube, that isnt very many people at all.

In one of my previous assignments, I was working on IT systems on rail systems. It really is surprising nationally how many people jump a week. Also they do it at the most inconvenient times like 9am. Causing all that extra work for everyone, right down the line. Then the poor driver who has to deal with it forever.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    oh I think they are already screwed if they are in one poor sods.
    Reminds of an this romantic couple I overheard in Glasgae. He shouted "You're so twisted they'll need a screwdriver to bury you"

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    I think you'll find the dead bodies were simply people waiting a very long time for a tube.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X