• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Golden Hello not honoured"

Collapse

• beaker
    replied
    Agreed she should follow it up with HR and/or the union. There are no doubt others in the same boat. Strange "mistake" though... you don't bandy about £1600 sign-on bonuses for the hell of it.

If it was a mistake, the organisation should have issued a correction and/or clarified this when they made the offer of employment.

Or was it one of those ads on the tube where you have to type in a special URL?

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Tsk Tsk You wouldnt catch us agents dishonouring promises of commission payments

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    The missus has to recruit for this type of work.

Believe me, if your partner is any good, the boss will cling to her like sh!t to a blanket, no matter how much trouble she causes with HR.

I have at least an hour a night on the state of the employees and the latest wheezes that they get up to. Last night , I learned that 'Happy' ( yes, thats the ladies name) has announced that her religious duties meant she could now only work nights, even though she is contracted to work days, and there is no night work.
    Plus she doesnt like to work for the asian family, because they , er, stink. And the Asian family dont want her, because she is a VERY devout Christian
    it never ends

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    If a shop advertises some price in an advert I believe they have to honour it. Though I suppose they just have to say they sold out or something like that.

Definitely worth finding out more I would have said, and take it from there. Even if all you do is go and embarass the clod in HR who wrote it in the first place, and get them a wrapping on the knuckles from the advertising standards bods.
    No. Infamous case: Boots v Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain.

Also advert means FA in a contract

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    It's public sector, so:

1. the boss won't give a toss whether she chases it up further,
    2. she should talk to her union rep.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    If a shop advertises some price in an advert I believe they have to honour it. Though I suppose they just have to say they sold out or something like that.
    No, they don't. Many will put "E&OE" or equivalent on any small print just in case.

It's an invitation to treat, rather than an offer for sale.

They aren't allowed to deliberately mislead, but if there is a mistake then it's a mistake.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied

Definitely worth finding out more I would have said, and take it from there. Even if all you do is go and embarass the clod in HR who wrote it in the first place, and get them a wrapping on the knuckles from the advertising standards bods.

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Get her to tell her boss that "coming in on time" was a misprint in her application form
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    +1 !

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    What is in the contract ?

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by Moose423956 View Post
    My partner has been offered a new job in the NHS. The advert for the job mentioned a "golden hello" of £1600 for successful applicants.

She contacted her new boss to confirm the award of the money as part of the new job, but he said it was a "mis-print" on the advert and shouldn't have been mentioned. So basically she won't be given it.

Is there anything she can do without pissing off her new boss? She's pretty furious, but needs the job so can't tell them to shove it unfortunately.

Ta
    Moose
    Do you mean to say that with all your contract experience you did not go through her contract beforehand?

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Get her to tell her boss that "coming in on time" was a misprint in her application form

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    Originally posted by Moose423956 View Post
    My partner has been offered a new job in the NHS. The advert for the job mentioned a "golden hello" of £1600 for successful applicants.

She contacted her new boss to confirm the award of the money as part of the new job, but he said it was a "mis-print" on the advert and shouldn't have been mentioned. So basically she won't be given it.

Is there anything she can do without pissing off her new boss? She's pretty furious, but needs the job so can't tell them to shove it unfortunately.

Ta
    Moose
    Having been basically told to 'forget it', pursuing this through any channel is going to piss her new boss off.

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    She should speak to HR in the first instance. Somebody clearly cocked up with the advert.

Leave a comment:

• Notascooby
    replied
    Is it in the contract and do you have the advert still?

Remember she'd have to pay tax on the £1600 so worth considering if it's worth dropping but I'd be bloody fizzing too.

This is one for the HR process to deal with.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X