• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Should I stay or should I go"

Collapse

• JoJoGabor
    replied
    I'll never take a contract in a SC/DV related company again. it drains the will to live, the management typically have no idea about what they want out of the project,

Leave a comment:

• GeorgeB
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    It does and from that it seems you have thought about it and prepared for the worst. Time to stop considering permie jobs and jump in!

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by GeorgeB View Post
    I get it, I really do.

Worst case scenario: I hate it, I'm benched for ages just cant get it to work. So I'll find a permy position.
    -- Its not life or death stuff, we can always change tactics and move on to the next thing

I'm not going to go into my personal lifestyle or attitude about this, but if I don't give contracting a shot then I'll regret it till the end of time. And the best scenario is I have lots fun and make a bit of cash as well. I know there's more to it than the money but in my situation - it really feels the next logical step in my career.

Surely its OK to be a bit apprehensive at first?
    It does and from that it seems you have thought about it and prepared for the worst. Time to stop considering permie jobs and jump in!

Leave a comment:

• GeorgeB
    replied
    Thing is... contracting isn't everything. We pick it because we like the work style, not just the money. Your options appear to be

A) Good job, money you are happy with, looks interesting, good clearance options should you contract in the future. Work colleagues, job security (ok ok go with me on this one), training, not many difficult decisions.

B) A career choice you have no idea about but sounds 'cool' and pays big money in a down time providing you don't get benched and can get contracts end to end and don't get binned on any fo them, steep learning curve and have to stand on your own two feet.

You better be sure B is for you IMO. As has been said, if you even have to ask you are probably better staying with the safe option. It wasn't a joke.

I get it, I really do.

Worst case scenario: I hate it, I'm benched for ages just cant get it to work. So I'll find a permy position.
    -- Its not life or death stuff, we can always change tactics and move on to the next thing

I'm not going to go into my personal lifestyle or attitude about this, but if I don't give contracting a shot then I'll regret it till the end of time. And the best scenario is I have lots fun and make a bit of cash as well. I know there's more to it than the money but in my situation - it really feels the next logical step in my career.

Surely its OK to be a bit apprehensive at first?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Give me a break...

Permy job is more money than I had before, plus DV (although this will probably expire before I get a chance to reuse it)

Its tempting but I guess ultimately, the salary doesnt come close to the rate I could be getting.
    Thing is... contracting isn't everything. We pick it because we like the work style, not just the money. Your options appear to be

A) Good job, money you are happy with, looks interesting, good clearance options should you contract in the future. Work colleagues, job security (ok ok go with me on this one), training, not many difficult decisions.

B) A career choice you have no idea about but sounds 'cool' and pays big money in a down time providing you don't get benched and can get contracts end to end and don't get binned on any fo them, steep learning curve and have to stand on your own two feet.

You better be sure B is for you IMO. As has been said, if you even have to ask you are probably better staying with the safe option. It wasn't a joke.

Leave a comment:

• GeorgeB
    replied
    Somehow I don't think you did.
    Give me a break...

Permy job is more money than I had before, plus DV (although this will probably expire before I get a chance to reuse it)

Its tempting but I guess ultimately, the salary doesnt come close to the rate I could be getting.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    blimey, not worth the permy paper its printed on!

i think i got my answer there!
    Somehow I don't think you did.

Leave a comment:

• GeorgeB
    replied
    blimey, not worth the permy paper its printed on!

i think i got my answer there!

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Ok, I am confuddled

I'm looking forward to contracting... really think it will be a great experience.

but then, I get a call from an agent offering to put me forward for a permy position with alot more money than my previous position plus possibly DV Clearance on a very cool project which will take couple years.

Even if only stay with them for 3-5 years, I'd still get the clearance - which surely opens up alot more doors if choose to try contracting again.

What would you do?
    If you have to ask. Go permie.

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Pointless asking me, mate.

I've been a contractor for 25 years and learned to make my own decisions years before that.
    This^

I've been contracting so long I find even the thought of permie terrifying.

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Ok, I am confuddled

I'm looking forward to contracting... really think it will be a great experience.

but then, I get a call from an agent offering to put me forward for a permy position with alot more money than my previous position plus possibly DV Clearance on a very cool project which will take couple years.

Even if only stay with them for 3-5 years, I'd still get the clearance - which surely opens up alot more doors if choose to try contracting again.

What would you do?
    Bad enough working in SC environments... DV is not the cash converter it used to be, even when offered a role last year involving DV clearance I did better staying out of the department in question. and going back to the private sector.

Leave a comment:

• EricBartlett
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    It's a no-brainer. Take the permy role and get the clearance. Working on a goof project would just make it all the sweeter.
    Except for working for a boss on a salary which is a bit of a bummer. Oh and clearance always runs out before you need it next , and once you are in the pemie mindset you will atrophy. So it's obvious, take the contracting route
    Originally posted by The Rep Button
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to EternalOptimist again.
    Well said Sir!

Leave a comment:

• KimberleyChris
    replied
    Could you put your wife back on please.
    Could somebody PM me with: how to work that 'ignore' list that I've heard mentioned please?

Thanks...Found it......
    Last edited by KimberleyChris; 31 January 2012, 17:42.

Leave a comment:

• Notascooby
    replied
    If you're happy with the money and the role then go for it....
    All the while, takea few interviews for contracts, if you get nothing then nothing lost. If you're offered a contract then you can make an informed decision.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Ok, I am confuddled

What would you do?
    It's a no-brainer. Take the permy role and get the clearance. Working on a goof project would just make it all the sweeter.
    Except for working for a boss on a salary which is a bit of a bummer. Oh and clearance always runs out before you need it next , and once you are in the pemie mindset you will atrophy. So it's obvious, take the contracting route

Leave a comment:

Working...
X