• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Bad Refs

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Bad Refs"

Collapse

• Sinbad
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek
    Geez Louise,

If you worked somewhere, where you feel (or know) that the boss/whoever has an axe to grind, then just scrub that engagement off your C.V.

We all pick bad companies, so why suffer when it comes to needing them for a reference ?
    So your CV looks like this then:

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Geez Louise,

If you worked somewhere, where you feel (or know) that the boss/whoever has an axe to grind, then just scrub that engagement off your C.V.

We all pick bad companies, so why suffer when it comes to needing them for a reference ?

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss
    Are you telling me to put a sock in it?
    Had I considered such a response, comedy value alone would have insisted upon it. However, my weekend's over exhuberance has precluded any kind of thinking beyond the most basic of function.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    It'd be less painfull than a Biro

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
    I am not sure, but I think we did the socks one (and Biros) a feww weeks ago, try a search for it.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    How about an article on where odd socks go to?

-Is there a parallel odd sock universe?

-Is it OK to wear odd comedy socks to the office?

-If we piled up the remaining socks how high would the mountain be?

-why do ladies not have this problem with their stockings?

We should be told.

The truth is out there!
    I am not sure, but I think we did the socks one (and Biros) a feww weeks ago, try a search for it.

Leave a comment:

• WKnight
    replied
    Bagpuss: "How about an article on where odd socks go to?"

I suggest you start a thread on it. If it becomes popular and attracts many dozens of replies then I'll consider it next week.

Of course I might decide it has little to do with IT and therefore excludes itself. I agree, socks don't get the editorial they deserve.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    How about an article on where odd socks go to?

-Is there a parallel odd sock universe?

-Is it OK to wear odd comedy socks to the office?

-If we piled up the remaining socks how high would the mountain be?

-why do ladies not have this problem with their stockings?

We should be told.

The truth is out there!

Leave a comment:

• WKnight
    replied
    CUK comment on bad references

This week's surprise winner in hot topics for the CUK front page is this thread.

If you have comments about the relevance or otherwise of references, how you get round them, who to use, how often you get asked for them, then please PM me with your comments and they could be included in tomorrow's article.

Things like:

Do you know anybody that has sued in response to a bad reference?

Are references important, what's your opinion?

Do you still get asked to supply them? what do you do?

How often do you use your mate's ltd company to supply references?

How long will a bad reference taint your career? Ten minutes or ten years?

I want to hear your low-down dirty secrets about references; tell all, your anonimity is assured.

Cheers
    William Knight

CUK writer

Leave a comment:

• hugebrain
    replied
    honest recruiters!?

Originally posted by privateeye
    One of the recruiters passed on the reference to the client that I am now with
    What's wrong with your recruiter? Usually the pimps just ring up and say: "you got a bad reference from X, make sure you don't use them again. Obviously I'm not going to tell the client..."

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    For references from a Permy role where you think you might have trouble simply provide an HR contact. All they will do is confirm when you worked there.

FFS though. A reference is where you tell them who to ask if you're any good. It's not rocket science to work out how to get glowing references each and every time.

For the record, I've never had any of my nominated referees ever phoned up to provide a genuine reference for a contract (some have been hassled by Agents though).

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Spartacus
    English justice doesn't work like that, Pondlife. In a libel case the libellor is the accused and it is up to the libellee to prove it is libellous, not for the libellor to prove it isn't.
    IANAL but AIUI it is up to the libelee to establish that the allegedly libellous statement was indeed published, and make a prima facie case that it was libellous*. If the defendant then puts forward the defence that the statement was not libellous on the grounds that it was true, it is up to him to prove that. (For those who like to throw about the phrase "innocent until proven guilty", which in any case applies only to the criminal law, I'd compare this with the defence of alibi against a criminal charge: if you defend a charge by claiming that you couldn't have done it because you weren't there, it is up to you to prove that).

PS Even the truth of the statement is not a defence in the admittedly rare case of criminal libel, see for example Goldsmith vs Ingrams et al (when Goldenballs sued Private Eye, in plain language). But if you can't afford Goldsmith's lawyers then you probably can't persuade the judge to "put the antique blunderbuss of criminal libel" in your hands. If I may say so.

* I.e. that the man on the Clapham omnibus wouldn't like to be called that. I have long wondered how it could be that the allegation that Elton John was homosexual could be libellous when it was't admitted that he was: presumably it is no longer libellous to publish that assertion, but the original case stands, i.e. John didn't have to give the money back and apologise when he came out.
    Last edited by expat; 26 July 2006, 18:35.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Only permies get asked for references. Contractors never do.

**** off permie!

Leave a comment:

• TheMonkey
    replied
    I had a period of rubbish attendance at a company due to the stress from the MD, falling down a drain cover and breaking my wrist, my wife being pregnant and general transport problems (Your fault WAGN) that has caused a lot of trouble in recent times. the bastards always give me a reference:

Technical capabilities: Outstanding
    Attendance: 47%.

Lovely explaining that one.

Leave a comment:

• Spartacus
    replied
    Originally posted by andy
    I had a notice period of 2 months and since i was not getting any contract with that much notice i just called my manager , made up some excuse and buggered off
    Ahhh, so if he said you were a good-for-nothing tulipebag in his reference, it would be true and therefore not libellous.

As previously suggested your options are now:

1. Be honest with your new client. Tell 'em how it is and hope they are understanding (not likely, after all, what's to stop you doing the same to them?).

2. Tell a porky and say your previous employer does not provide references (slightly risky as this can be verified easily).

3. Get a mate to masquerade as your previous PM, preferably someone who recently left the company. I doubt any real contractor here hasn't done that at one time or another (Spartacus' recommended option).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X