• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Urgent 13 developers required, do such projects work?"

Collapse

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Actually given the level of comments around £50k not getting you a 'decent' developer is actually a joke. Those comments are the ones that are picked up by Business leaders that we have a skills shortage and need to FTV or offshore. In truth £50k is a fantastic
    salary and the vast majority of permie developers aim for that amount. Development skills are ten a penny in Asia and in truth it's the Business Analysis / Technical / Systems Analysis skills that are sought after. Developers =
    Bobs.

Don't flatter yourselves.
    To an extent you are right. However there is a significant London premium which you just don't get even if you go 20 miles outside London. I would have no problem seeing that salary attached to Basingstoke, Reading or even zone 6 London and think it was a plausible to get that number of decent people. Go 100 miles north and you could easily get decent people for £35-40,000.

Once you hit central London however I think it ends up being very hard to get decent people who will stay any length of time. In many ways its the same issues we all have when thinking about taking a job there. Is the extra £100 a day worth the hassle of getting there and back again.

And as you say its development. There is no way that all 13 people need to be on site developing a project. While I don't think there is sensible reason in the world for work to be offshored you could easily onshore that work to the north save yourselves £150,000 a year and be guaranteed that there were not 500 other opportunities trying to steal your star developer.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Given the quality of work I see down in London £50,000 isn't going to get you much of any type of developer.
    Actually given the level of comments around £50k not getting you a 'decent' developer is actually a joke. Those comments are the ones that are picked up by Business leaders that we have a skills shortage and need to FTV or offshore. In truth £50k is a fantastic
    salary and the vast majority of permie developers aim for that amount. Development skills are ten a penny in Asia and in truth it's the Business Analysis / Technical / Systems Analysis skills that are sought after. Developers =
    Bobs.

Don't flatter yourselves.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    The use of "pay grades" and "salary" still make me wonder if it IS for contractors.
    We're talking around the £200-250/day mark if it is, which in central London is farcical. Unless they want a team of PHP/VB developers.
    Given the quality of work I see down in London £50,000 isn't going to get you much of any type of developer.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Freamon View Post
    Are you worried about the fact that:

- They are all being recruited very quickly (lack of planning by project mgmt)
    - They won't have any time to form a team (leading to poor performance)
    - They will all be contractors (although not implicit, this is implied in the above?)
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    I'd be more concerned regarding the quality of contractor you could get for £50k a year.

Suity and his friends?
    The use of "pay grades" and "salary" still make me wonder if it IS for contractors.
    We're talking around the £200-250/day mark if it is, which in central London is farcical. Unless they want a team of PHP/VB developers.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    God I had good hair back then.

I had hair back then.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied

- They will all be contractors (although not implicit, this is implied in the above?)
    I'd be more concerned regarding the quality of contractor you could get for £50k a year.

Suity and his friends?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Yes, you and DP have both suffered since then.
    Au contraire - we both made others suffer

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post

20 years ago I earned maybe $100 per month if that.
    Yes, you and DP have both suffered since then.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied

It was so smooth you land an aircraft on it

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    You buggers are a lost cause

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied

Its a massive reference grabbing exercise

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    Originally posted by yasockie View Post
    SO basically I got this hilarious email from an agent today, seeking 13 (thirteen!) developers, with very concrete pay grades, so a project that's about to eat 13 x 50k = 650k in salaries per annum alone, add an office in central London to house said devs plus the inevitable middle management and we're looking at burning millions of pounds and I just can't see how it's going to the most efficient way to spend/invest that kind of money.
    Or am I wrong and this will attract the top talent and the group of 13 will produce software that will earn those millions back in no time at all?

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    So was I. You never heard of a child prodigy?

I did look funny in my suit mind.
    Plus ca change!!

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    You old fecker. I was only 5.
    So was I. You never heard of a child prodigy?

I did look funny in my suit mind.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X