• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What we used to watch..."

Collapse

• EricBartlett
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    Also, that tit Edmonds keeps saying stuff like 'That's a very shrewd strategy'. No IT'S F***ING NOT. HE's PICKING RANDOM NUMBERS !!! C**T !!
    Doesn't he believe in/advocate "Cosmic Ordering" or some such mumbo jumbo ?

Leave a comment:

• wim121
    replied
    Originally posted by pacharan View Post
    I was watching the old re runs of Bullseye & was shocked at how good the general knowledge of the contestants was back then.

These were just regular working class folks who liked a pint and a game of arrows down the pub. You wouldn't have thought they'd have been particularly well educated but they'd wipe the floor with the current generation.
    Indeed, it is a sad reflection on society when younger generations are more predisposed to acquiring general knowledge on the size of a celebrities arse rather than real general knowledge. That's western culture for you though, nobody gives a rats arse about knowledge and instead some plastic manufactured celebrity is more important.

At this point, some may be able to see the common sense or even appeal in countries like china deploying mass censorship. While in theory, it may not be a great thing, in a practical sense it could be beneficial.

Leave a comment:

• wim121
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    I reckon all of those are way too complicated for a generation that can't understand that Deal or No Deal doesn't actually involve any skill
    Im afraid you might be right. I doubt many mainstream idiots could even understand the concept of Blockbusters.

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    When I worked in Bristol a few years ago, Endemol used to put D.O.N.D. contestants up in the same hotel as I usually stayed at. (Marriot). They used to sit in the bar discussing the 'strategy' they would use to pick the boxes. Also, that tit Edmonds keeps saying stuff like 'That's a very shrewd strategy'. No IT'S F***ING NOT. HE's PICKING RANDOM NUMBERS !!! C**T !!
    For the 99.99999% of contestants.

But there is actually skill involved, if you dont pick random numbers.

Now we all know, people pick random numbers and contestants beforehand pick random boxes.

But in mathematics, probability, there is a pattern, even in random choices. If you were to watch the show and make a note of each contestant, their position, their box amount, etc etc, you will be able to see some pattern emerging. Some contestants routinely randomly pick lower amount boxes, or some contestants may have had a run of low value boxes, so by watching the show prior, one could deduce at which point they have the probability of picking a higher amount box.

However to do that, would require some quite advanced mathematics. To put it in a simpler way, when I was younger, my father noted lottery drawings over a couple of years in detail. He wasnt a gambler (one of the only things not a vice to him) but he was interested in probabilities. He actually started to guess the next drawings with fairly good accuracy.

However betting on a probability is still a massive gamble and if one is endowed with that mental aptitude, they might stand a fairer chance on something like who wants to be a millionaire.

Leave a comment:

• pacharan
    replied
    I reckon all of those are way too complicated for a generation that can't understand that Deal or No Deal doesn't actually involve any skill
    I was watching the old re runs of Bullseye & was shocked at how good the general knowledge of the contestants was back then.

These were just regular working class folks who liked a pint and a game of arrows down the pub. You wouldn't have thought they'd have been particularly well educated but they'd wipe the floor with the current generation.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    When I worked in Bristol a few years ago, Endemol used to put D.O.N.D. contestants up in the same hotel as I usually stayed at. (Marriot). They used to sit in the bar discussing the 'strategy' they would use to pick the boxes. Also, that tit Edmonds keeps saying stuff like 'That's a very shrewd strategy'. No IT'S F***ING NOT. HE's PICKING RANDOM NUMBERS !!! C**T !!

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Ah! But it does Nick. It does. You can tell what's in the boxes by the sweat on the brow of the production crew.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by wim121 View Post
    I miss everything like You Bet, Jim'll Fix It and Family Fortunes.

They should remake them all. The family fortunes remake is a bit mehhhhh. Vernon Kay is good, but it's too modern and eghhh and they only seem to do charity specials which are boring.

Leave a comment:

• wim121
    replied
    I miss everything like You Bet, Jim'll Fix It and Family Fortunes.

They should remake them all. The family fortunes remake is a bit mehhhhh. Vernon Kay is good, but it's too modern and eghhh and they only seem to do charity specials which are boring.

Leave a comment:

• pacharan
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    I really really really don't miss that show.

Along with Bilko, The Lucy Show & other noxious crap of the era.
    No? Bilko was pure class.

Never really watched Lucy but other stuff like Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie was fab.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Been watching (in my lodgings while working on my laptop) some episodes from Sergeant Cork, a TV series broadcast between 1963 and 1968.

It was a bit before my time, and I hadn't heard of it before seeing the DVDs on sale; but most of the episodes are quite entertaining and surprisingly modern in outlook. (Think the Sweeney, set in the 1890s!)

Three series have been released on DVD now, although sadly only about 40 of the original 66 episodes have survived.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    I checked back to 1970 - interesting that some of the programmes on BBC1 were in Black and White.
    One of the first shows to be broadcast in colour on the BBC was The Black and White Minstrels Show

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    I checked back to 1970 - interesting that some of the programmes on BBC1 were in Black and White.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    They've just started showing 'Till Death Us Do Part' on German TV

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by pacharan View Post
    Yes. One of the crew from the pub was telling me that with the international IPlayer you can select episodes from loads of old series to watch like Dads Army, the Good Life etc.

With the UK version you just get to see the crap that's been broadcast that week. There is a fee for the international IPlayer but its only about 60 bucks a year.
    Over here you get that through Netflix - the terms of the BBC charter require them to subcontract that kind of revenue generation to a third party within the UK

Leave a comment:

• pacharan
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    Will it be possible to look up and watch old TV programs?
    Yes. One of the crew from the pub was telling me that with the international IPlayer you can select episodes from loads of old series to watch like Dads Army, the Good Life etc.

With the UK version you just get to see the crap that's been broadcast that week. There is a fee for the international IPlayer but its only about 60 bucks a year.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X