• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What we used to watch...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    Will it be possible to look up and watch old TV programs?
    Yes. One of the crew from the pub was telling me that with the international IPlayer you can select episodes from loads of old series to watch like Dads Army, the Good Life etc.

With the UK version you just get to see the crap that's been broadcast that week. There is a fee for the international IPlayer but its only about 60 bucks a year.

Comment

Originally posted by pacharan View Post
      Yes. One of the crew from the pub was telling me that with the international IPlayer you can select episodes from loads of old series to watch like Dads Army, the Good Life etc.

With the UK version you just get to see the crap that's been broadcast that week. There is a fee for the international IPlayer but its only about 60 bucks a year.
      Over here you get that through Netflix - the terms of the BBC charter require them to subcontract that kind of revenue generation to a third party within the UK

Comment

They've just started showing 'Till Death Us Do Part' on German TV
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I checked back to 1970 - interesting that some of the programmes on BBC1 were in Black and White.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            I checked back to 1970 - interesting that some of the programmes on BBC1 were in Black and White.
            One of the first shows to be broadcast in colour on the BBC was The Black and White Minstrels Show

Comment

Been watching (in my lodgings while working on my laptop) some episodes from Sergeant Cork, a TV series broadcast between 1963 and 1968.

It was a bit before my time, and I hadn't heard of it before seeing the DVDs on sale; but most of the episodes are quite entertaining and surprisingly modern in outlook. (Think the Sweeney, set in the 1890s!)

Three series have been released on DVD now, although sadly only about 40 of the original 66 episodes have survived.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                I really really really don't miss that show.

Along with Bilko, The Lucy Show & other noxious crap of the era.
                No? Bilko was pure class.

Never really watched Lucy but other stuff like Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie was fab.

Comment

I miss everything like You Bet, Jim'll Fix It and Family Fortunes.

They should remake them all. The family fortunes remake is a bit mehhhhh. Vernon Kay is good, but it's too modern and eghhh and they only seem to do charity specials which are boring.

Comment

Originally posted by wim121 View Post
                    I miss everything like You Bet, Jim'll Fix It and Family Fortunes.

They should remake them all. The family fortunes remake is a bit mehhhhh. Vernon Kay is good, but it's too modern and eghhh and they only seem to do charity specials which are boring.
                    I reckon all of those are way too complicated for a generation that can't understand that Deal or No Deal doesn't actually involve any skill

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                      I reckon all of those are way too complicated for a generation that can't understand that Deal or No Deal doesn't actually involve any skill
                      Ah! But it does Nick. It does. You can tell what's in the boxes by the sweat on the brow of the production crew.
                      What happens in General, stays in General.
                      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                      X