• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Am I asking the right quesiton / how would you respond?"

Collapse

• Pondlife
    replied
    how
    crap

*pondlife jumping on the grammar nazi bandwagon

Leave a comment:

• Jabberwocky
    replied
    LB, when the bog is blocked at work, do you

1) Call maintenance
    2) Take a dump anyway
    3) Start shovelling the sh*t out and then present an invoice
    4) Write a proposal to unblock the bog, and present it to the management

Or maybe you are a member of the maintenance team - you certainly know out to talk a lot of crapp.

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    So, funkyd, how's your proposal shaping up? You should have done your research and be well into writing up the first draft by now.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    ignore BASEL its non-tla ffs

Leave a comment:

• funkyd
    replied
    Originally posted by ratewhore
    Haven't read the thread fully so don't know what industry or company you are talking about. This may be more than just an IT issue and you should really be looking to see what regulations apply. FSA, SOX, BASEL, FOI, DPA etc etc. Then you can put forward a compliant solution...

FSA - registered but not regulated
    SOX - No
    FOI - not sure yet
    DPA - They ignore it
    BASEL - tbc

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Originally posted by funkyd
    IT is not important at board / management level.
    Haven't read the thread fully so don't know what industry or company you are talking about. This may be more than just an IT issue and you should really be looking to see what regulations apply. FSA, SOX, BASEL, FOI, DPA etc etc. Then you can put forward a compliant solution...

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist
    this is one of the best posts I have seen for a while

well done LB and others
    Aye thang you, EO.

It is a pleasure to put the get up and go and the fire back in the belly of a fellow contractor. I expect the OP to achieve no less than an exclusive supplier deal for the next five years to administer and maintain the email system. To be achieved by Monday next week.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    this is one of the best posts I have seen for a while

well done LB and others

Leave a comment:

• funkyd
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucifer Box
    Good lad, you know it makes sense.
    It does from here. The weeks just drift into each other with nothing specific to do. Sometimes nobody notices that we are not even in the office.

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Originally posted by funkyd
    No - you are right with your previous posts. Paralysis was temporary and now cured

I am a contractor. Must offer solutions. Must raise invoice.
    Good lad, you know it makes sense. Focus your mind by booking the presentation meeting for Friday lunchtime. Aim to have your draft proposal down on paper before you go to bed tonight. That will give you all day tomorrow to polish off the rough edges and prepare your spiel. Don't forget a nice PowerPoint summary for your attendees to take away.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    If you want to get their attention then tell them how they stand to lose money over it. Make it a big number. Then tell them how you can fix it for a smaller number.

PM me if you want any hints on how to scare the hell out of non-IT directors

Leave a comment:

• funkyd
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucifer Box
    Sorry, mate, I think no more help can be given here. You are paralysed with indecision. Just send out your email permie style and see what happens.
    No - you are right with your previous posts. Paralysis was temporary and now cured

I am a contractor. Must offer solutions. Must raise invoice.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    I'd work out how to get their system back up and working after if fscks up.

Wait for it to fall over.

Jump in with the solution.

Profit!

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Sorry, mate, I think no more help can be given here. You are paralysed with indecision. Just send out your email permie style and see what happens.

Leave a comment:

• MrsGoof
    replied
    You are clearly in a position to SUGGEST a solution or two, so just do that?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X