• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Leaving mid contract"

Collapse

• Notascooby
    replied
    Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
    Just talked to agency. They admitted that the FIVE previous contractors all quit, one after the other, over 6 months.

So it isn't just me.
    Sounds like time for a rate renegotiation

Leave a comment:

• Ignis Fatuus
    replied
    Just talked to agency. They admitted that the FIVE previous contractors all quit, one after the other, over 6 months.

So it isn't just me.

Leave a comment:

• Ignis Fatuus
    replied
    Currently working with colleagues to guess what changes the "manager" made to the SQL before leaving on holiday.

We've found one case where he "cleaned" it up without real need, and now it fails; and another where there were defect tickets and he fixed them but left the tickets open and told no-one. It proved impossible to replicate the fault and we finally found out why, it wasn't dumb users this time.

This is the "manager" who kept hassling me to work over Christmas and New Year. I notice he isn't contactable while on holiday.

And hassled me at weekends twice since then. Got me to put in a change to Prod on Friday afternoon, then panicked when it didn't work and asked me to fix it, while I was on the way to the airport. Then did exactly the same again the next weekend, aited till Friday afternoon.

That's why I'm getting into these threads about leaving mid contract, can you blame me?
    And I'm thinking of a separate moby for work, that goes off when I do. Mind you, I left my phones off one morning at the end of December when I was on holiday and "not available", and he just got more and more strident in the messages, emails, and texts, up to telling me that it was unacceptable that I didn't reply all morning. That was when he wrote himself out of my good books.

(Aaaaand breathe)

Leave a comment:

• Ignis Fatuus
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Do contractors get sacked? Sounds like disguised permie talk to me....
    I wrote that in reply to the previous post:

Just don't get sacked for using jobserve in the middle of the office.
    As a contractor I conform to a site's existing standards and usages

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    You are aware there is an app for that.
    Jobserve, getting sacked or living on the streets? Actually - probably "all of the above" but it relies on you having a smartphone.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Oh come on, if that were a sackable offence we'd all be on the streets.
    Do contractors get sacked? Sounds like disguised permie talk to me....

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    You are aware there is an app for that.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by russell View Post
    Some asserts are less liquid than others, I prefer to keep the liquid cash flow coming in by working otherwise I would be forced to liquidise aforementioned assets. i.e. if I just walked and then found the market dead and was benched for 12 months, would force me to sell some gold bars
    I think you probably mean liquidate? Unless you're getting the blender out?

Leave a comment:

• Ignis Fatuus
    replied
    Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    Just don't get sacked for using jobserve in the middle of the office.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Some asserts are less liquid than others, I prefer to keep the liquid cash flow coming in by working otherwise I would be forced to liquidise aforementioned assets. i.e. if I just walked and then found the market dead and was benched for 12 months, would force me to sell some gold bars
    Ah, so you WERE talking tulipe then.......

Leave a comment:

• BigTime
    replied
    I wanted to get opinions on whether I was justified based on the WFH issue. Anyway looks like the trolls have entered so Ill leave it at that.
    Pick up a pleasant resignation letter from the web. State that you're happy with the role but are suffering due to the commute and SAD. Hence you're left with no option to take some bench time and look for something more suitable/local.

I bet they offer WFH

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    I wanted to get opinions on whether I was justified based on the WFH issue. Anyway looks like the trolls have entered so Ill leave it at that.
    No, everywhere in the world has 1 rule for x and another rule for y. As a contractor you should be used to that by now.

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Sorry thought this was a contractor discussion forum, it's good to talk.
    Not if the sole purpose is to hear one's own voice

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Sorry thought this was a contractor discussion forum, it's good to talk.
    You wanted to tell us you have a 1-month notice period and you don't like your contract... I don't see what there is to discuss. If you had a 3-month notice period or no notice period at all then fine, what exactly is so hard about giving in your notice when that's the whole reason it exists?

Maybe they'll offer you more money if they like you or let you WFH but I wouldn't count on it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X